James Woj Luna Grey A3 3.2 Quattro DSG - Build thread

JamesWoj

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to Audi ownership having just bought my first Audi - a 2004 plate Audi A3 Sport 3.2 Quattro DSG which I purchased privately with 120,000 miles on the clock.

Ideally I wanted an S-Line but I managed to find this Sport with a few options on it:

Metallic Luna Grey paint
Full heated grey leather
Grey leather armrest
Full bose sound system
6 disc CD changer (in dash)
Bluetooth and hands free holder
Facelift S-Line upgrade wheels - Genuine 18" BBS split rim alloy wheels

These are the photos from the advert below and how the car looked when I picked it up:

This first things I did were remove all the additional chrome - the mirror covers, chrome strips on the front bumper (I think someone was trying to make it look like a facelift) and the chrome number plate holders. It was just not to my taste.

The first major modification I completed was by accident (as I wasn't looking for coilovers) - a friend knew of a set of FK coilovers which were only 2/3 weeks off which would fit which I managed to get at a good price. I have also put my private plate on as well. Here are a couple of photos with the coilovers and private plate on as well as the chrome parts removed:

The final couple of things i've changed are the wheels and adding a Leon Cupra R front splitter. The wheels I have gone for are B6 S4 wheels and I only even thought of them after seeing a photo on google (ironically I was searching for grille photos not wheels). Once I had seen the photos of a grey 3 door A3 on coilovers on the wheels I had to have them!! Here are the photos as my car currently is now:

Happy to hear any comments etc on the car, hopefully you like it.

Reactions: Davjon747
Really like it mate! My car is the same colour so was wondering what colour your splitter is? If it's black how does it look with the colour of the car? Thinking about getting one myself so curious to your thoughts on it.

Thanks for your comments Ollie, wasn't sure if the wheels would be to everyone's taste but I like doing something different every once in a while!! The splitter is black plastic and isn't painted, the only thing i've done since is just use some Autoglym bumper and trim product to keep it looking black and shiny. I've used the same product on the grills which seems to keep them looking good as well. I think it looks good with the colour of the car. If you had other gloss black parts (e.g. front grills) then it might look better gloss black but i'm happy with mine unpainted and it is a cheap modification which I think looks good.

Same as my mates a3 that is, needs to go down a bit more though ;)

15084570433_eb387822ea_h.jpg

Reactions: Ironborn
Very nice indeed smurfworth I really think the B6 S4 wheels suit the 8P A3. Looks like his is a little lower then mine at the front and back. Would be interested in knowing what setup he is running - coilovers, spacers, tyre width etc. I had 5mm spacers but caught on the arch so took them off and trimmed the arch a bit and it only catches on really big bumps now.

Here is mine from the side (not great photo quality and too much sunlight!!)

Yeah the wheels are one of the two of my favourite Audi wheels, I'm sure you can guess what my other favourite is..

Setup off the top of my head is:
Jom coilovers, all the way down at back, inch to go at front
no spacers
225 40 18

It tucks the front and rear tyres 99% of the time, wind it down.. quattro will get you off any speed bumps or obstacles you come across :jester:

I'm assuming your other favourite wheels are 8P S3 wheels as you have an S3? Yeah it might be him having 225 width tyres not 235 might make all the difference with it not rubbing at all and being able to tuck the wheels in more.

Thanks for your comments Ollie, wasn't sure if the wheels would be to everyone's taste but I like doing something different every once in a while!! The splitter is black plastic and isn't painted, the only thing i've done since is just use some Autoglym bumper and trim product to keep it looking black and shiny. I've used the same product on the grills which seems to keep them looking good as well. I think it looks good with the colour of the car. If you had other gloss black parts (e.g. front grills) then it might look better gloss black but i'm happy with mine unpainted and it is a cheap modification which I think looks good.
I'll be putting a new grill on mine aswell so I'd imagine they'll match up! What's your exact wheel setup because I might just copy it?

Wheels look good, always liked the look of them on TimG's A3. As said though, does need to go down a bit more.

I'll be putting a new grill on mine aswell so I'd imagine they'll match up! What's your exact wheel setup because I might just copy it?

Yeah if your putting a new grill on that should be nice shiny plastic so should match up well. The set-up is FK coilovers (although not sure how much it has exactly been lowered) and B6 S4 (V8) alloy wheels - PCD 5x112, 8" width, offset ET46 (I think) with 235/40/18 Goodyear tyres. Although seems like other people are running 225 width tyres which I think means they can go lower without rubbing the arch.

I only found a couple of sets for sale when I bought mine, they do look similar to B5 S4 and S6 wheels but the end of the spoke is more aggressive which I liked.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to Audi ownership having just bought my first Audi - a 2004 plate Audi A3 Sport 3.2 Quattro DSG which I purchased privately with 120,000 miles on the clock.

Ideally I wanted an S-Line but I managed to find this Sport with a few options on it:

Metallic Luna Grey paint
Full heated grey leather
Grey leather armrest
Full bose sound system
6 disc CD changer (in dash)
Bluetooth and hands free holder
Facelift S-Line upgrade wheels - Genuine 18" BBS split rim alloy wheels

These are the photos from the advert below and how the car looked when I picked it up:

This first things I did were remove all the additional chrome - the mirror covers, chrome strips on the front bumper (I think someone was trying to make it look like a facelift) and the chrome number plate holders. It was just not to my taste.

The first major modification I completed was by accident (as I wasn't looking for coilovers) - a friend knew of a set of FK coilovers which were only 2/3 weeks off which would fit which I managed to get at a good price. I have also put my private plate on as well. Here are a couple of photos with the coilovers and private plate on as well as the chrome parts removed:

The final couple of things i've changed are the wheels and adding a Leon Cupra R front splitter. The wheels I have gone for are B6 S4 wheels and I only even thought of them after seeing a photo on google (ironically I was searching for grille photos not wheels). Once I had seen the photos of a grey 3 door A3 on coilovers on the wheels I had to have them!! Here are the photos as my car currently is now:

Happy to hear any comments etc on the car, hopefully you like it.
Now that looks nice loved my 3.2 ,as for the wheels they look great the private plate is a nice touch.

Wheels look good, always liked the look of them on TimG's A3. As said though, does need to go down a bit more.

Thanks very much - funny enough it was TimG's post on the Edition 38 forum where I saw the pictures of the wheels which made me fall in love with them - had not seen any other cars at that time with those wheels on. I actually was searching for pictures of a brushed grille where TimG's photo came up!

Think I would need to trim the arch a bit more or fit skinnier (225) tyres to lower it any more. I do drive my car hard so need it to not rub when i'm cornering or over big bumps!! Mine isn't just for show :)

Now that looks nice loved my 3.2 ,as for the wheels they look great the private plate is a nice touch.

Yeah I love my car, for the money I think it is great value - especially when compared to the prices of the Mk4 and Mk5 Golf R32's. Probably paid half the price of a Mk5 Golf R32 which it is based on and it is much more subtle :) Thanks for your comments, yeah the private plate always helps make it look better and younger I find :) My wife has a E91 BMW 3 series estate on a 55 plate and with her private plate most people wouldn't know if it was a 2005 plate or 2011 plate.

Yeah I love my car, for the money I think it is great value - especially when compared to the prices of the Mk4 and Mk5 Golf R32's. Probably paid half the price of a Mk5 Golf R32 which it is based on and it is much more subtle :) Thanks for your comments, yeah the private plate always helps make it look better and younger I find :) My wife has a E91 BMW 3 series estate on a 55 plate and with her private plate most people wouldn't know if it was a 2005 plate or 2011 plate.
Once I've sorted mine that will be next on my list a nice private plate.

Yeah if your putting a new grill on that should be nice shiny plastic so should match up well. The set-up is FK coilovers (although not sure how much it has exactly been lowered) and B6 S4 (V8) alloy wheels - PCD 5x112, 8" width, offset ET46 (I think) with 235/40/18 Goodyear tyres. Although seems like other people are running 225 width tyres which I think means they can go lower without rubbing the arch.

I only found a couple of sets for sale when I bought mine, they do look similar to B5 S4 and S6 wheels but the end of the spoke is more aggressive which I liked.

The offset is et45 and ideally you'd want 215 tyres to give you that extra bit of clearance considering it's only an 8J wheel.

Pretty sure Tim ran 215 tyres on his as the 225's caused issues when it was really low.

The offset is et45 and ideally you'd want 215 tyres to give you that extra bit of clearance considering it's only an 8J wheel.

Pretty sure Tim ran 215 tyres on his as the 225's caused issues when it was really low.

Thanks for that information smurfworth, did wonder how some people were running their cars so low! I wonder if there was a lot of stretch on the tyres running 215s? I think Tim said he wasn't running any front spacers but ran 8mm spacers on the back.

There's not much stretch tbh, and yeah that is how you can run spacers by getting the tread well inside the arch. With stretched tyres the sidewall doesn't really catch on much except every now and again and the tread won't run on anything.

I mean I've got 225's on mine and they are 8.5J so there's a bit of stretch.. There's pics in my thread.

However, lots of people say my s3 is very low, but I never have issues with anything rubbing and it does get driven the way it was designed to be.

There's not much stretch tbh, and yeah that is how you can run spacers by getting the tread well inside the arch. With stretched tyres the sidewall doesn't really catch on much except every now and again and the tread won't run on anything.

I mean I've got 225's on mine and they are 8.5J so there's a bit of stretch.. There's pics in my thread.

However, lots of people say my s3 is very low, but I never have issues with anything rubbing and it does get driven the way it was designed to be.

That's alright then, when I change tyres might have to try 215 width tyres then and see how that goes, then could put the 5mm spacers back on and still be alright. I will have to have a look through your thread at the pics in there. Looks good from your signature picture, they are the same wheels Tim had on his A3 - A8 wheels?

They are indeed yes, also known as fat fives, which aren't s3 wheels as you first thought but are my other favourite wheel other than the ones you have. :D

They are indeed yes, also known as fat fives, which aren't s3 wheels as you first thought but are my other favourite wheel other than the ones you have. :D

Yes i've seen them called 'fat fives' - sorry replied on my phone so wasn't about to see your signature picture - otherwise I would have guessed!! I like the 'fat fives' too as I think they are an OEM+ style wheel and look really good on the A3 especially as they are a bit wider so sit really nicely with coilovers.

Reactions: smurfworth
Just read through your build thread smurfworth looks really good. Especially like the ash tray delete and the cup holder in place of the card holder. Can't understand why Audi didn't do that as having the armrest means the cup holders under it are pretty much useless!

Are there any local events organised as not seen much in that section?

Reactions: smurfworth
Cheers, you don't really see much from local events unless your located around London where bits and pieces pop up.

Where abouts you from?

Cheers, you don't really see much from local events unless your located around London where bits and pieces pop up.

Where abouts you from?

Ah right I see, i'm from Taunton (Somerset) and saw you were from Plymouth. I only asked as I saw a section on local events but there didn't seem to be much in the South West section. When I had a Clio a few years ago I joined Cliosport and they had lots of meets and events, usually once a month.

It's been a while since I posted so thought it was time for an update!!

I have now fitted a set of 2012MY rear lights - really like the darker later lights as I think it goes well with the dark grey and smartens up the rear of the car.

I have also got an S3 rear spoiler and had it sprayed (as couldn't find a luna grey rear spoiler) and fitted. Again I think this little touch makes the rear of the car much better in my opinion.

I had a local company to me - Ace Wraps wrap the top and bottom front grill in gloss black and I've removed the Quattro badge on the top grill. When the main part of the grill has trim renovator (back to black type product) and the rest of the plastic grill is black it all looks good.

Also put 225 width tyres on the rear and now there is no rubbing on the rear arch, tyres are quite a bit cheaper then 235 as well. Will change the fronts to 225 when they need changing as well.

I'm hoping to get on a few stands at shows this year and maybe enter some 'show and shine' competitions for a bit of fun. So i've spent a couple of days detailing (and still not finished). Clayed, cleansed, polished and waxed the whole car (bar the bumpers) using Autoglym products.

Happy to received any comments on what people think on the cleaning or modifications. Pictures are below:

Reactions: shadow1993
Car looks really smart!
I love the fact you have taken off the 3.2 badges.. give someone a nice surpise.

I want mines lowered aswell!!! How is the ride quality?

Car looks really smart!
I love the fact you have taken off the 3.2 badges.. give someone a nice surpise.

I want mines lowered aswell!!! How is the ride quality?

Thanks a lot for your comments, much appreciated.

Yes I still wanted both the Audi badges front and rear, I know some people prefer to take them off but I think it looks a bit strange and bear without. Enjoy it being a sleeper as no one would know what engine is under the bonnet!!

Ride quality is ok but can be bouncy and crashy. Not too good on speed bumps either. I am happy to live with it as on smooth roads it's fine and I love the way it sits

Reactions: shadow1993
Haven't posted for a few months so again thought it was time for an update.

Changes completed since last post:
*Clear indicators in front headlights (to remove orange look).
*Black side repeaters / indicators, removing the chrome ones (one was accumulating water anyway).
*Front and rear bumpers have been resprayed, drivers rear quarter some scratches, dents, arch surface rust repaired, painted and lacquered.
*All brake calipers sanded down and painted in gloss black, all wheels were cleaned inside at this point.
*Sills had some surface rust so these have been sanded down, stone chipped and resprayed.
*Bought another set of wheels to get 4 good wheels from 2 sets.

I have also been on stands for 3 shows:
*Action day at Castle Combe in April - On Car Scene UK's stand. Photos courtesy of Car Scene UK / Mark Campbell

*BHP Fuel Fest at Westpoint Arena (Exeter) in June - On stand with a group of friends who came together and made a group called OEM+

Also took some 'arty' shots with my digital camera on the way home from this show

Final show - last weekend was at the Donkey Sanctuary near Sidmouth with OEM+ again

It had just rained when I took this photo!

A photo taken by Chris Quick Photography - First photo taken by a professional photographer who was not associated with our stand. Really chuffed with that.

As it has been a couple of months since I last posted I thought I would give an update on my A3.

Since the last post the only change to the car has been the fitting of a new custom cat back exhaust system which is brilliant – not too loud on the motorway but loud enough when you put your foot down and being able to hear that V6 now is great. I have also tried to keep the tailpipes subtly different, being a similar design to the standard ones but just thinner tips – a bit like a miltek.

I have also had my A3 on a rolling road (Alan Jeffries in Plymouth) to see what power it was making after 127k. With the exhaust system and a panel filter it made 243bhp and around standard torque 236-238ft lb (only graph for torque) which I was pleased with as I know the dyno is accurate.

I have also attended the Totally VAG show in Cornwall and entered the show and shine for the Post 2000 Audi Class of which there were 12-14 entered and I came second which I was over the moon with.

I have also been accepted for the Concours competition at Audi Driver International at Castle Combe in October which I am really happy to be just accepted! Really looking forward to look around all the cars on and off track.

Below are the photos of me at Totally VAG

Below are photos of me on the Totally VAG stage