Wondered if anybody else has experienced this problem

• Difficult to determine if it is an engine problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could be an engine/ gearbox problem

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Terry Benson

Reaction score
I have recently taken delivery of the new A6 Allroad. and have noticed a significant lag when I accelerate from a standing start, (around 2 secs).
I have complained to the dealer about this and they tell me their is going to be a fix to this problem around week 14 2020. In the meantime I believe the effect of this fault to be dangerous particularly when turning right off a main road, joining a roundabout and joining a traffic queue.
I have raised the issue with Audi UK and then have escalated it.

Hi Terry, I have the same issues- plus many others!!!! Have a look at my other posts on here (a couple of threads down) and you can see Audi UK's reply!

Reactions: Terry Benson
I have just had a statement from Audi UK a Mr Sean Holdsworth to inform me that my car is safe to drive. However I beg to differ as I have been caught in too many jams up to now and I have only done 500 miles

Hi Terry. I got the same rubbish response from Audi UK (if you have a look at my thread https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-a6-avant-problems.415011/ you'll see my problems plus their response).

They couldn't have been more pathetic and kept saying there isnt actually a fault- its performing the way it was designed. .....yeah, but so was the 737 Max......! My A6 is going to Oxford Audi on Tuesday next week for them to have a look- i'll report back on the 20 issues i've currently got with it!

I repeat- I hate the car so much and would highly recommend NO ONE TO BUY IT!!!!

I have recently taken delivery of the new A6 Allroad. and have noticed a significant lag when I accelerate from a standing start, (around 2 secs).
I have complained to the dealer about this and they tell me their is going to be a fix to this problem around week 14 2020. In the meantime I believe the effect of this fault to be dangerous particularly when turning right off a main road, joining a roundabout and joining a traffic queue.
An update you say, hopefully this update also fixes the error lights

Quite, this 'feature' is well documented with many Audi models in many reviews, but not mine as I have a different gearbox. If you place the car in sport mode then the lag is lessened to a degree that makes you feel safer, or simply just drive around the lag. Another trick owners have done to improve things is to install a TCU update to the gearbox which greatly improves things. However it is what is is and despite a handful of owners stating it is dangerous Audi's position will always be that it isn't. No one has manged to prove them wrong and no motoring authority, or indeed any motoring organisation, has taken them to task over this...

I just traded in an Audi Q7 for my new A6 Allroad, the performance of which was perfect.
So why should I accept anything different and have to drive around issues that shouldn't be present in a new car.

Been interest in the A6 Allroad as my possible next car, have seen the YouTube video above too.. someone on there also mentioned turning 'coast mode' off which helped with the lag... the setting is somewhere in the mmi setup

Been interest in the A6 Allroad as my possible next car, have seen the YouTube video above too.. someone on there also mentioned turning 'coast mode' off which helped with the lag... the setting is somewhere in the mmi setup
I'll try it if I can and see if it make a difference.

Any news ref the update ? Have you been in contact with the dealer ? and how did you get off with coast mode ? Ive turned mine off but not driven the car since.

Tried turning off the coast mode, didn't make any difference. Contacted the dealer and Audi UK, tell me Audi GMBH are working on a software fix, should be available around week 14.

Reactions: cuke2u
Unfortunately most of Audi is shutting down so this may not happen within the quoted time period. There also was a software upgrade for the 3.0v6 and the automatic gearbox, the ZF 8HP, not stronic, on the A4 B9. As there has been no details of the vehicle(s) in question in this thread, signatures help, then some may well be experiencing different issues we can't help with...

Yeah not the best time, but as long as this update is available we can hopefully get things sorted whenever the world recovers.

Is the software fix available now, has anybody heard anything yet? It is now week 19 but due to the worldwide lockdown I am assuming this is delayed?

Hi Terry,
Do you still have the same problems/niggles with the car or have you found more since your first OP?
I have a chance to get a A6 Allroad at a very good lease price but there is a lot of bad reports mainly about the throttle lag but also build quality.
I am undecided wether to get this deal. If the throttle lag was fixed as reported with a software update would you be happy to keep the car?

Yo, my friend,
If the problem was sorted, yes it would be good car. The power is there, it's just getting to use it when you need it.

Thank you for your quick reply.
Hopefully the problem will be solved soon but it is certainly taking a long time to be sorted!

I have just read on another site that this software update was carried out a couple of days ago 19th May (went in for a service I think).
He reports it seems to have solved the lag problem you and a lot of people have been experiencing.
I know a lot of Audi centres are opening for services etc so you may need to contact your's to confirm the update is available.

Reactions: Im2929
I have just read on another site that this software update was carried out a couple of days ago 19th May (went in for a service I think).
He reports it seems to have solved the lag problem you and a lot of people have be
He reports it seems to have solved the lag problem you and a lot of people have been experiencing.
I know a lot of Audi centres are opening for services etc so you may need to contact your's to confirm the update is available.
Hi this would truly make a huge difference to my enjoyment of the car - has anyone here had the software update done and is there a reference number for the update as Ill be less likely to get fobbed off when contacting servicing thanks

This would make a huge difference - if there a ref for the update so I can quote it when contacting servicing - less likely to get fobbed off this way - just to check my car is C8 50 TDI Quattro . The lag is horrendous

This would make a huge difference - if there a ref for the update so I can quote it when contacting servicing - less likely to get fobbed off this way - just to check my car is C8 50 TDI Quattro . The lag is horrendous
Im2929, I don't know if there is a Ref number or not but it has definately improved the throttle response.
There is also another person on the same thread (original poster about his car problems) that has booked his car in for the update so Audi are aware of this update.

Enquired with Audi UK about update - their response ....

Thank you for contacting Audi UK

I can confirm for the vehicle registration you provided, an Audi A6 , there is currently no outstanding software update for your gearbox.

Should you have any further questions regarding this or any other matter please contact me on the details below.

In the meantime, I hope you find this information helpful.

Kind regards

Im2929,
All 3 below were taken from another site regarding the throttle lag software update, so there definitely is a software update available. I would push again or maybe contact another dealer to see if you can get this confirmed and then get it done.

Hi. The Service Dept said I could wait but that it would be at least 2 hours and possibly longer so I left the car with them. Dropped off at 1030 and collected it about 1700. My wife brought me back and dropped me off. As you say courtesy cars were mot available.

it is always difficult to know if something is a perfect fix but the car does not hesitate when pulling away anymore and feels much nicer to drive. Seems like the full fix to me. I think you will enjoy the dramatic change. As the car is eager, immediate and has smooth power delivery.

Looking forward to hearing your own experience.

Thanks for the advice on the software update in May. My local dealer updated and seems much better, although only drove home.

There was also an MMI recall/ update, which they did at the same time. Not sure what it was fixing.

Oh well, as I need a courtesy car while the work is being carried out, I’ve got to wait until 26th June before it can be done.

Hope the update is still going well?

Thanks I suspect there is an update as above but they want to avoid having to do it if possible to reduce their unpaid commitments. I will be pushy now

I don't know the dealers but they are located in Stratford upon Avon, Lewes and London (big place I know but that is all it says on the location).
All cars are 50 tdi's A6 Avants S-Line and two Black editions, hope this helps. All 2019 or 2020 models too.