Facelift Jassy's Discussion/Build/Wait Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon Thread

I assume Audi UK has, as of this date, not delivered the new RS3 and therefore no insurance company is stating what the cost will be for the new models or are they?
In this neck of the woods the insurance cost for the recently dealer available RS3 saloon is considerably more expensive than a comparably equipped S3.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Tom.H
Personally, I think it's last chance saloon to own a loud, 5, 6, 8, 12 pot motor.

It's all going to go small petrol/ electric/hybrid very quickly. If you buy a car now over 3/4 years - it's going to be a very different landscape for your next car.

So I would say go for the RS....or M.

Although over on the BMW forums the M4 is regarded as a bit 'killy' and doesn't sound as good as the M2.

Stephs comment above is interesting...get last of normally aspirated V8. That's a good call.

Reactions: msdmjb and Jassyo06
Electric will take well over a decade before it affects our current RS cars in any significant way IMO.

The infrastructure needed for electric cars will take many many years to create & in the meantime we will all still be able to enjoy petrol cars with proper sound.

Petrol hybrids will become more common I am sure and possibly even on RS cars but the core petrol engine will still be there creating the sound track.

With less than 1% of UK cars being electric don't think we are gonna lose our glorious 5,6,8,10 cylinder engines that quickly, they will be around for a few new models to come :)

Reactions: AudiNutta, azibux1 and Audi Bairn
Electric will take well over a decade before it affects our current RS cars in any significant way IMO.

The infrastructure needed for electric cars will take many many years to create & in the meantime we will all still be able to enjoy petrol cars with proper sound.

Petrol hybrids will become more common I am sure and possibly even on RS cars but the core petrol engine will still be there creating the sound track.

With less than 1% of UK cars being electric don't think we are gonna lose our glorious 5,6,8,10 cylinder engines that quickly, they will be around for a few new models to come :)
I agree. The powers that be don't seem to realise that manufacturers won't start selling decent numbers of electric vehicles until there's a decent infrastructure etc........ not the other way about. Personally I hope they take as long as possible.

Reactions: Terminator x, Snake Pliskin and azibux1

I think the dramatic reduction in solar will push it much quicker than most think.

Why? Because it will save people thousands in running costs.

I typically spent £60 a week on petrol. Imagine that's typical of most on here with an S Audi. So that's £2,880 a year on fuel.

In just 7 years the cost of solar installation has halved, to around £6k.

cost-of-solar-2017-graph

Add in a battery pack for around £3k. So even at today's prices (although will likely drop even further), I could buy say a Model 3 100D when it's released, capable of 0-60 in probably around <3secs with 300miles range (if the model S is anything to go by, likely to be better on both fronts) for the same price as a S5, and after the first 3 years i would be saving around £3k on fuel costs alone each year..

That doesn't factor in cheaper maintenance, cheaper VED, and the savings I can have on my house electricity, such as using excess power for utilities and buying off peak electricity at night and storing it for the daytime.

For me, range and home charging won't be a problem, so why wouldn't I....?

For those performance stats and savings I will happily compromise on exhaust sounds...(which we know are largely fake in modern cars anyway...!)

Reactions: PanamaS3, glospete, Satory and 2 others
You tell me, haha. The PFL RS3 has always been £200-£300 cheaper than the S3, whenever I have looked! It's all based on stats so there are more S3's stolen than RS3, so the stats are horrific for them.. the S3 is more 'affordable' for the likes of your lesser druggies and alike :tearsofjoy: I think it's just a combination of the S3 is cheaper so owned more by people who rally them around and wrap them around trees. They are more commonly stolen for robberies and alike. If I manage to grab the insurance before the crime and crash rate goes through the roof, hopefully it won't be too bad with it being a fresh model and no specific stats.

Touch a s*** load of wood, the RS3 stolen posts are a little more uncommon but the S3's are happening monthly on here now among this relatively small community, it's scary.

I wouldn't be having the RS if it was significantly more, owning the S3 put the 'Money is no object view' into perspective. Believe it or not, I've been sensible in checking it all SHOULD tally up cost wise. Seeing £500+ a month leave your bank is enough to make one think twice about spending endless amounts of money :tearsofjoy::nomouth: 12 months ago, I would have affected £3000+ on insurance to own the car, now I laugh at it. Owning the S3 has made me value my money a little more without doubt, not because I don't enjoy it.. I absolutely love it, but it's brought some sense into the equation which I think is great.
A old phrase which is probably very true indeed "You can't put a old head on young shoulders"

I fear debt grudge it immensely, the only debt l have is my car, the last recession was a real eye opener to me even when l have a skilled job /trade l was still out of work now and then, some say another is on its way...... Probably one of the the biggest reasons l don't borrow out of. My comfort zone, l can earn a lot of money working over time.... weekends etc.... But l still Base/budget on a bare 38 hours pay. I put just under £9k to the S3 £400 a month , could have been twice that amount but there's more to life than cars the RS3 budget was £525 £10,000/£11,000 deposit not doable, you say you don't want to miss the boat this time around well l think this RS3 will be built for a good bit longer than the last only because it's sold worldwide now, the saloon anyways.....just my outlook

Reactions: Rob2k68, DrEskimo, TDI-line and 3 others
A old phrase which is probably very true indeed "You can't put a old head on young shoulders"

I fear debt grudge it immensely, the only debt l have is my car, the last recession was a real eye opener to me even when l have a skilled job /trade l was still out of work now and then, some say another is on its way...... Probably one of the the biggest reasons l don't borrow out of. My comfort zone, l can earn a lot of money working over time.... weekends etc.... But l still Base/budget on a bare 38 hours pay. I put just under £9k to the S3 £400 a month , could have been twice that amount but there's more to life than cars the RS3 budget was £525 £10,000/£11,000 deposit not doable, you say you don't want to miss the boat this time around well l think this RS3 will be built for a good bit longer than the last only because it's sold worldwide now, the saloon anyways.....just my outlook

I understand what you mean, my employer is relatively small in the grand scale of things. They lost a few orders in the last couple of months and hit a bit of instability, having the car over me wasn't a very nice feeling. I want to get some money away so I can at least be able to comfortably be out of work for a few months. At the moment though, there seems to be a shortage of Electrical Engineers.

I didn't go into this with a dead set budget, I had a figure in mind and I've ended up paying just over it by a few quid. It will be interesting to see if it runs on for any longer, but your logic should be pretty correct.. unless if they give each country a small allocation.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Interesting!
Puts the prices of the likes of the RS3 in perspective when you see the alternatives as a comparison.
What's the feedback on these cars with a 2 litre engine in them?

Can't speak for the Jag but the 4 pot engines in the 718 Cayman have gone down, on balance, like a lead balloon with Porsche enthusiasts. It'll depend what is your comparison. If you come at the new Cayman from an S3 you will likely be blown away (assuming you can live with two seats). The Cayman power delivery is similarly boring, though the auto box is better, but the handling balance is in another league altogether. If you come at the 718 from an RS3 you would have a tougher decision to make because the engine in the 718 has no character whatsoever, certainly not against the lovely Audi 5 pot. I tested the new TTRS against the 2.5 litre Cayman 718 and ultimately found neither of them special enough to buy; both too compromised in their own way.

Reactions: sjbarneS3, PanamaS3, Flying Scotsman and 2 others
Can't speak for the Jag but the 4 pot engines in the 718 Cayman have gone down, on balance, like a lead balloon with Porsche enthusiasts. It'll depend what is your comparison. If you come at the new Cayman from an S3 you will likely be blown away (assuming you can live with two seats). The Cayman power delivery is similarly boring, though the auto box is better, but the handling balance is in another league altogether. If you come at the 718 from an RS3 you would have a tougher decision to make because the engine in the 718 has no character whatsoever, certainly not against the lovely Audi 5 pot. I tested the new TTRS against the 2.5 litre Cayman 718 and ultimately found neither of them special enough to buy; both too compromised in their own way.
Drove up to our local filling station yesterday to use the atm in the Mrs fiesta and there was a white 718.... Guy got in it.... Fired it up it sounded pretty good for a 2-0 engine very good indeed sport's exhaust as well, I would love a car that sounded like it...... And it looked awesome with the 20"rims, my son has a M4 comp as his demo that sounds off the scale, as good as any RS3 TTRS l don't know what car you drive now but...... And the end of the day it's about how much you want to spend and what you use your car for...... Weekend, or a daily one..... So many factors to be honest

Reactions: PanamaS3, Audi Bairn, TDI-line and 2 others
I love the sound of performance engines and well designed sport exhausts but not over the top raucous loud, bad sounding ones with a ton of drone at cruising speeds. Been there done that!!!!......Loved my Peco Big Bore exhaust when I was a teen, especially going past a bus stop with lovely looking lassies

Reactions: PanamaS3, Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and 3 others
Drove up to our local filling station yesterday to use the atm in the Mrs fiesta and there was a white 718.... Guy got in it.... Fired it up it sounded pretty good for a 2-0 engine very good indeed sport's exhaust as well, I would love a car that sounded like it...... And it looked awesome with the 20"rims, my son has a M4 comp as his demo that sounds off the scale, as good as any RS3 TTRS l don't know what car you drive now but...... And the end of the day it's about how much you want to spend and what you use your car for...... Weekend, or a daily one..... So many factors to be honest

Yeah, I know what you mean. It isn't a terrible engine noise but compared to the Porsche flat 6 from the 981 its a bit industrial. Anyhoo; (although it is what the journalists all complain about) it wasn't only the engine noise that stopped me getting a 718. The whole power delivery is a bit S3-ish: a bit of a lag followed by an nice early boost of torque then 'meh' all anti-climax up the rev range. For a sports car I wanted a bit more up top, as it were.

Fwiw, I ended up buying a 991 Carrera S although I hadn't planned too. We're all wired differently but for me that car is simply perfect; literally flawless unless you count that it has taught me what a crap driver I am. That car leaves my garage when I die and not before. It's a bit of a garage queen though so I am going to get another S3 in March as a shopping car (I don't work so no commute). Have discussed getting an RS3 with the missus but it seems a bit of overkill for the daily shopper. Exactly like you say, intended useage is a big factor and for me the S3 is more than enough for a daily driver and Tbh, I wish I hadn't sold mine now.

Tbh, there are no bad cars mentioned anywhere in this thread. Figuring out whether to get another S3 or trying something else is a first world problem up there with how to stop couscous sticking to the Le Creuset. In your shoes I guess I Would get the RS3 on the grounds that you are unlikely to ever be driving down a nice road thinking "wish I'd bought the S3 instead" but the reverse could easily happen. Tough decision. Good luck with it.

Reactions: PanamaS3, Audi Bairn, Daveotto and 3 others
Yeah, I know what you mean. It isn't a terrible engine noise but compared to the Porsche flat 6 from the 981 its a bit industrial. Anyhoo; (although it is what the journalists all complain about) it wasn't only the engine noise that stopped me getting a 718. The whole power delivery is a bit S3-ish: a bit of a lag followed by an nice early boost of torque then 'meh' all anti-climax up the rev range. For a sports car I wanted a bit more up top, as it were.

Fwiw, I ended up buying a 991 Carrera S although I hadn't planned too. We're all wired differently but for me that car is simply perfect; literally flawless unless you count that it has taught me what a **** driver I am. That car leaves my garage when I die and not before. It's a bit of a garage queen though so I am going to get another S3 in March as a shopping car (I don't work so no commute). Have discussed getting an RS3 with the missus but it seems a bit of overkill for the daily shopper. Exactly like you say, intended useage is a big factor and for me the S3 is more than enough for a daily driver and Tbh, I wish I hadn't sold mine now.

Tbh, there are no bad cars mentioned anywhere in this thread. Figuring out whether to get another S3 or trying something else is a first world problem up there with how to stop couscous sticking to the Le Creuset. In your shoes I guess I Would get the RS3 on the grounds that you are unlikely to ever be driving down a nice road thinking "wish I'd bought the S3 instead" but the reverse could easily happen. Tough decision. Good luck with it.

What colour did you get in the 991...and dont tell me its Porsche version of Daytona....lol....Typical dentist to go for this colour

Reactions: Satory
Ps....as to who mentioned the M4....No not even in the Equation,my son has a used M3 in stock with just 1500 miles on the clock but again l would be out my comfort zone....not buying it, but running it as l use my car as a daily driver,so my next move in a wee while, is to get some other form of much older transport to travel to work in especially in the winter months....which ****** ruins your car especially in grit laden central Scotland

As for Swapping over the order it was not a problem, the sales guy was just going to take my car as his own demonstrator,as he's just had a Riviera Blue Sportback as his last Demo

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Rolly12 and Rob2k68
I love the sound of performance engines and well designed sport exhausts but not over the top raucous loud, bad sounding ones with a ton of drone at cruising speeds. Been there done that!!!!......Loved my Peco Big Bore exhaust when I was a teen, especially going past a bus stop with lovely looking lassies

Aye...... bit of a Ladies man where ye....blasting past with yer big bore exhaust.....lol

Reactions: PanamaS3, Audi Bairn, Djs3saloon and 3 others
Ps....as to who mentioned the M4....No not even in the Equation,my son has a used M3 in stock with just 1500 miles on the clock but again l would be out my comfort zone....not buying it, but running it as l use my car as a daily driver,so my next move in a wee while, is to get some other form of much older transport to travel to work in especially in the winter months....which ****** ruins your car especially in grit laden central Scotland

As for Swapping over the order it was not a problem, the sales guy was just going to take my car as his own demonstrator,as he's just had a Riviera Blue Sportback as his last Demo
I mentioned the M4 purely as a friend has one and it's a different animal all together.

Completely understand not wanting that as a daily especially further up north where you are.

I'd love love to be able to chose between an M3/4 and a RS3, my budget isn't quite there yet....

Personally, I think it's last chance saloon to own a loud, 5, 6, 8, 12 pot motor.

It's all going to go small petrol/ electric/hybrid very quickly. If you buy a car now over 3/4 years - it's going to be a very different landscape for your next car.

So I would say go for the RS....or M.

Although over on the BMW forums the M4 is regarded as a bit 'killy' and doesn't sound as good as the M2.

Stephs comment above is interesting...get last of normally aspirated V8. That's a good call.

l thought the M4 sounded up there with best mate....goes real deep like, deeper than a 5 pot which is more of a higher pitched Howl especially in the newer all Alu block 5 pot,the M4 has a real growl to it and the LCI Comp is rather good

I mentioned the M4 purely as a friend has one and it's a different animal all together.

Completely understand not wanting that as a daily especially further up north where you are.

I'd love love to be able to chose between an M3/4 and a RS3, my budget isn't quite there yet....

Hopefully you'll get there mate ........even with a 5/6% discount on a RS3....and l would have got one in a New York minute,that small discount makes a good difference on a car over £50k,but alas Audi know the score

Hopefully you'll get there mate ........even with a 5/6% discount on a RS3....and l would have got one in a New York minute,that small discount makes a good difference on a car over £50k,but alas Audi know the score
I'll get there but 15k miles a year won't allow it and I can't really afford a commuter and a toy. My partner has horses and I'm pretty she's siphoning away some of my funds to feed those 4 legged buggers...

Reactions: PanamaS3, Audi Bairn, Terminator x and 3 others
@jassyo06 - PMSL at this thread mate
Reminds me of the new 2 x S3 saloons I ordered then changed my mind for the much better new S4 ;) :D

I'd have a M3/M4 in a heartbeat TBH
Your son doing any good deals on 'em ? ;)

Regarding your original thread question -
When I cancelled my 1st S3 saloon order, the car was already built & at the supplying Dealers. The Dealer didn't bat an eye & quickly refunded my full deposit
The 2nd S3 saloon I ordered & cancelled, the Dealer transferred the deposit over to my new S4 order. Again no probs at all

Reactions: Satory, Rob2k68 and AudiNutta
@jassyo06 - PMSL at this thread mate
Reminds me of the new 2 x S3 saloons I ordered then changed my mind for the much better new S4 ;) :D

I'd have a M3/M4 in a heartbeat TBH
Your son doing any good deals on 'em ? ;)

Regarding your original thread question -
When I cancelled my 1st S3 saloon order, the car was already built & at the supplying Dealers. The Dealer didn't bat an eye & quickly refunded my full deposit
The 2nd S3 saloon I ordered & cancelled, the Dealer transferred the deposit over to my new S4 order. Again no probs at all

Aye l remember that seems like a life time ago...lol
l am just going to do it mate......code is A8FRCKZL,£11K dipper

Reactions: PanamaS3, Audi Bairn, Satory and 4 others

Changed your mind again now have you? :D

Just had a look, smashing spec!! What made you go without the styling packs? I get why, you could get the parts wrapped for a fraction of the cost if you wish!

I love the pano roof, but I had to keep cost down somewhat.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, TYb and Jassyo06

Just had a look, smashing spec!! What made you go without the styling packs? I get why, you could get the parts wrapped for a fraction of the cost if you wish!

Seen a couple of RS3's without them....it doesnt add that much to it for the cost....and if you cast your mind back l had my eye on a Racing Mica...without any styling pack,it looked the dogs

A JORDAN MICA
A JORDAN MICA  2

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Rob2k68 and TYb
Seen a couple of RS3's without them....it doesnt add that much to it for the cost....and if you cast your mind back l had my eye on a Racing Mica...without any styling pack,it looked the dogs

View attachment 132844 View attachment 132845

Yes I agree, the main noticeable feature is the front blade because of how it spans the whole length of the car. I think I prefer the look of the PFL still, it has more aggression thanks to the lights alone but the FL is a great looking car. I walked up to mine the other day, lights on in early evening, damn it looked evil :smilingimp: The blades are just plastic pop off sections, so can be painted for next to nothing.

Have you seen Ara in person? It is very light but nice nonetheless. I see my mates S3 Saloon a couple of times a week in work, some days I'm not keen and others it looks outstanding. If I had to go away from Racing Blue, it would be Daytona. I still doubt my decision to today, but I've gone with it now and there is no doubt it will look great. My parents are even trying to put me off. My Mum pulled up alongside a Fiesta and said "you will be driving a car, in a colour like that", it was dark blue on a very basic looking Zetec. It really put me off and I was about to drive to the dealer and change it. But, looking at a similar colour on a Kia and a Fiesta, isn't what the colour will show up like on an RS3. It definitely matters what car it is presented with IMO. Anyway, hopefully I like it :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::worried:

Reactions: Satory, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Yes I agree, the main noticeable feature is the front blade because of how it spans the whole length of the car. I think I prefer the look of the PFL still, it has more aggression thanks to the lights alone but the FL is a great looking car. I walked up to mine the other day, lights on in early evening, damn it looked evil :smilingimp: The blades are just plastic pop off sections, so can be painted for next to nothing.

Have you seen Ara in person? It is very light but nice nonetheless. I see my mates S3 Saloon a couple of times a week in work, some days I'm not keen and others it looks outstanding. If I had to go away from Racing Blue, it would be Daytona. I still doubt my decision to today, but I've gone with it now and there is no doubt it will look great. My parents are even trying to put me off. My Mum pulled up alongside a Fiesta and said "you will be driving a car, in a colour like that", it was dark blue on a very basic looking Zetec. It really put me off and I was about to drive to the dealer and change it. But, looking at a similar colour on a Kia and a Fiesta, isn't what the colour will show up like on an RS3. It definitely matters what car it is presented with IMO. Anyway, hopefully I like it :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::worried:
Which colour have you gone for? I had a Daytona TT 3rd gen, lovely colour but not stand out.

Just get shot of that drivers assistance pack and get the pano-roof instead....then you can hear the car so much better

Looks awesome mate !!!!!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and AudiNutta

There's few clones of Mica blue the Japs do a clone of it on the Cash cow....it really is identical in tone....if yer going exclusive paint, make it count is my opinion or dont, RS3's are as rare as Hens Teeth up my neck of the woods as are face'lifted S3's

So back on topic lol my salesman is going to be a bit ****** off....lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Just get shot of that drivers assistance pack and get the pano-roof instead....then you can hear the car so much better

If I got rid of it, I think it would have to be to save money and not spend it elsewhere. The thing that put me off the pano roof was the 'potential' creaks, well not put me off.. that's what I used to ease the pain of me not having it ;)

I tend to drop all 4 windows anyway if I'm in that kind of mood, which really exposes you to the noise. I've only ever driven one car with the Pano roof, that was an RS3 and it was cracked all day.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Exclusive; Racing Blue Mica.
Stick with it, Daytona is just another grey. This May hurt your ears, my partner thinks ara looks like Peugeot 206 blue!!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Bristle Hound and Jassyo06
There's few clones of Mica blue the Japs do a clone of it on the Cash cow....it really is identical in tone....if yer going exclusive paint, make it count is my opinion or dont, RS3's are as rare as Hens Teeth up my neck of the woods as are face'lifted S3's

So back on topic lol my salesman is going to be a bit ****** off....lol

I have seen a few of these, very similar colour cars I just hope that it will do the RS justice!! I do see a few RS3's down here, maybe 1 every month or so depending on how often I get out.

He won't be annoyed I'm sure, I know what I'd rather be handing over :p

No mag ride or hill hold assist Jassy?

Stick with it, Daytona is just another grey. This May hurt your ears, my partner thinks ara looks like Peugeot 206 blue!!

That's the issue, I saw an S3 in it at Audi and it looked absolutely stonking in the sun!! BUT, on the way out I took pleasure in pointing out to my Dad 15 or so Daytona cars throughout the range, all looking dull and blending in within the car park.. an RS should have a colour to justify the marque.

Boy oh Boy there must have been a lot of tossing and turning in bed over this decision......no going back now. Personally I would have gone for the saloon, as it IMO just looks better and there are a ton of sportback/hatchback Audi 3 models on UK roads. Love your spec...no nanny devices.
Rest easy now and wait to when Spring delivers the new baby.

Reactions: PanamaS3, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
That's the issue, I saw an S3 in it at Audi and it looked absolutely stonking in the sun!! BUT, on the way out I took pleasure in pointing out to my Dad 15 or so Daytona cars throughout the range, all looking dull and blending in within the car park.. an RS should have a colour to justify the marque.
This was it looking it's best but never lasted long, stick with the exclusive.

Attachments

• IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: AudiNutta
What colour did you get in the 991...and dont tell me its Porsche version of Daytona....lol....Typical dentist to go for this colour

Ha! You read my mind. My first choice was Agate Grey which is pretty close to Daytona. I bought used though and there's not much stock to choose from in the OPC's so I settled for my second choice, Platinum Silver. This is the wee beastie.....

IMG 3539

Reactions: PanamaS3, Audi Bairn, scoss and 3 others
Ha! You read my mind. My first choice was Agate Grey which is pretty close to Daytona. I bought used though and there's not much stock to choose from in the OPC's so I settled for my second choice, Platinum Silver. This is the wee beastie.....

View attachment 132849
The lighter silvers look so good with red callipers. Lovely car

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Satory and Jassyo06
No mag ride or hill hold assist Jassy?

Nope...just going basic mate..get my pano roof ,nice colour,exhaust,and
Lunar,would love it in Voodoo...but that would just through the monthlies way off,been around Audis to know enough to what works and what dont

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Djs3saloon and Tom.H
Nope...just going basic mate..get my pano roof ,nice colour,exhaust,and
Lunar,would love it in Voodoo...but that would just through the monthlies way off,been around Audis to know enough to what works and what dont

Good stuff, sure you won't be disappointed! See where I'm at when the S3 is up for renewal, long way to go yet.

Reactions: Djs3saloon and Jassyo06