Jay A3 's 1.8T On-Going Build Thread

And Bluetooth hands free!

You don't need tv etc but you like to know you have it

Reactions: ScottD3
Ok tried another FL hvac unit and no luck. Think I need to look up the wiring diagrams for both preface and facelift :(

Thanks Scott. I really hope it's just the matter of locating & switching the power source to a different pin... But we all know it's not that simple!

Went up to Nottingham for the weekend but just before I had set off I popped the bonnet to see oil had spluttered everywhere over the inlet manifold, rocker cover and onto the underside of my bonnet. On further inspection it was my breather line that had snapped.

Part number was:
Breather line: 06A103213F
O ring: N90467301

Fairly straight forward swap.

Back to the hvac / climate control unit. The facelift ones plug straight into the pre facelift but does not work. I need to either get my hands on a facelift a4 unit or source the plugs in the back from a facelift a3/s3 so I can compare pin locations

Preface lift = top
Facelift = bottom

Got the hvac to work... Sort of. Manage to source an a4 unit thanks to byzan and scottd3. Unit works. Now my current issue is the air con when the car is running you can hear it tick away. Almost as though the AC pump is turning on and off continuously... Further inspection later this week

On a different note I headed up to Santa pod, Sunday just gone for gti spring fest. Show was ok but came across these wheels on a mk4. All I can say is I want these rota's! Next set of wheels? Anyone got a spare £1k floating around?

Reactions: GarethEvans and Westy
After helping install this earlier in the week on someone else's car, I thought to myself I want this on mine. This being "Comfort indicators"
There are a few different kits out there. You have the VW one designed for OEM fitting or after market one:

eBay Adapter-Universal

Its says it fits Audi A3 8L facelift but it does also work on the Pre facelift. I managed to pick my set up from Leigh on here.
I'm no electrician and it only took about an hour to do, including taking the Head unit out and fitting it all back in.

So all i got was this:

I found it easier to whip put the head unit, the top surround, cup holder and the blank buttons for better access.
Unplug the hazard switch and remove

The Adapter-Universal relay came with instructions in German. Leigh kindly translated it for me as:

OEM wire colour / what the wire is / [universal kit wire colour]

Red wire: Terminal 15 ignition [wire black]
Yellow wire: left light switch [wire black/white]
White wire:Terminal 49a [wire black, white and green]
Blue wire: Right warning light [wire black and green]
Black wire: Terminal 31 ground

Like me you probably thought all those wires don't match up with what I have. Your right, in my 1997-8 A3 AGU my hazard switch has 6 wires, and only 3 of them matched the guide where as the Facelift A3/S3 has only 5.

[Pin location] OEM wire colour = [universal kit wire colour] - My guide

Splice and taper

[Pin 7] Red & Green wire = Red wire
[Pin 3] Black & white wire = Yellow wire
[Pin 5] Brown wire = Black wire
[Pin 2] Black & Green wire = Blue wire
[Pin 1] White, black & Green wire = White

Electrical tape to seal and fit everything back in
Result:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jojo, s3dave, ScottD3 and 2 others
And the rest lol! How did you get the hvac to work? Those comfort indicators are lovely! I'll be doing that when I change my stereo!

Reactions: Jay A3
For a facelift hvac to work on a pre face lift source one from an A4 and simply swap the fascia over. As for the comfort indicators, really easy to do. Worth it too!

Reactions: g60leigh
Did you find out what the clicking noise was?

The clicking is the AC pump turning on and off continuously. Scanned it and got these codes:

Cleared and fault codes came back straight away. Plugged in the original PFL hvac and works fine no clicking. Leads me to think it's either a faulty hvac or a slight difference in the wiring.

Mmm you really need to find an a3/s3 facelift breaking and get then to snip off the connectors for the hvac.. Line up the colours and maybe it might work?

1 step ahead ;)
I got the plugs as I was going to try and figure out how to get the a3/s3 one working.

Reactions: Gops and Westy
Are the wires the same as on your car? I'm guessing audi changed the location for certain wires which is why it don't work..

Not had a chance to splice them and compare. As soon as I found that the a4 unit worked a gave up on the original idea. Will try and sort it out the weekend

Love the head unit, looks great. I'm just about to copy your intercooler build, got all the pipes and core, just got to order the clamps then it will be happening when I come back from holiday, thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers lavis! Spent ages on the head unit surround so it sits nicely...
Hi grips clips are the ones ;)

Read through this thread from start to finish today, and what a seriously great job you have done on the car! Looks great, and performs awesome too. Gotten a lot of ideas and help for things I am going to run into. Nice one! :thumbsup:

Thanks Gareth. It's been a slow progress over the last 2years but it's getting there to how I want it. If you ever fancy swapping wheels let me know haha

Ok jay I'm relying on you, I'm buying a double din cage soon, hoping for an rns-e so really hoping things work!! Need some switches though and a top fascia! Rob sent you the hvac? I was wondering.. Have you gone wideband? You reckon the hvac will work with a wideband ecu?! I'm wideband and thought I'd like to see if it would work!

Rob said he would send it this week. Not heard back from him yet. I'm still on narrow band but I don't think it makes a difference when it comes to the hvac. When I get robs one I can send you the old one to try out? Might also be getting my hands on another hvac too! Hvac galore!!!

Haha gops you read my mind. This is on my list of todos but I'm glad your on with it first :).

I'll try it! You never know.. Might just work! I don't know if Audi would make different connector pin locations but in the same connector. It costs too much so the easiest is to use the same connectors but software is different.. That might be the case here (hopefully).

I've tried a FL hvac and no luck. Part umber was 8L0 820 043 K. Mines an M but I have just bought an a4 with 8D0 820 043 M which should work perfectly! There are so many variants of hvac which clearly do different things or control temperature differently. I'm lead to believe that s3 and a3 may be very slightly different in how the hvac controls fan speed and temp (nothing noticeable). I'm awaiting that but in the meanwhile I've been at it with my ciggy lighter. I'll get this damn thing to work for sure! All I need is a cup holder and a hazard switch 😁

Mine was the same, tried 3 different facelift a3/s3 hvac's and they never worked. I did read on another thread that greasyaxl fitted that same hvac from the A4 8DO "M" and worked. I will find the thread

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400332903366828

I'm getting this mate.. Air con doesn't seem to be cold though?

I just went for the easier option...........

IMAG2310_zpsuuoeokaj.jpg

Cut apart a scratched to hell facelift panel, fibreglassed my pre facelift panel in its place, smoothed, painted and refitted :D

ignore the hole to the right, looking to either fit another cup holder or space for hands free kit......just need a new stereo now

That is a lot easier and Gops did suggest that. I would have done too if I knew it was going to be this much hassle

Haha, I only done it as I was getting fed up of looking through wiring diagram after wiring diagram and nothing matching (wire colour wise) so this made more sense to me

Totally agree with you. The diagrams I found aren't matching up either and to me, make no sense at all!

Last edited:
Found some more time today to look at the a4 facelift hvac...

So the codes I was getting were:

From reading danio's post in the "S3 8l 1999 climate control swap to facelift" thread I had to rewire a few of the pins.

Plugs (from top to bottom)
C, B, A, D

1. Plug A, pin 10. Move to plug B, pin 6 (should be empty)

Remove casing. Black and blue wire.
Undo the 2 metal prongs holding the wire in and fit into plug B pin 6. This didn't stop the pump from clicking on and off but at least now I was getting cold air.

2. Plug C, pin 3 joins with pin C14.
Now my C3 pin didn't have a wire in there so I got an extra piece of wire and put one in there, then spliced C14 and joined to two.

3. Plug D. Pin 14 joins with pin D15. Again I didn't have a wire in pin 14. Thick brown wire.

This plug didn't come with the metal spade connector with the prongs.

Luckily I had a spare plug so I nicked it from there. Dropped in the new wire and spliced the D15 wire up where I joined it. Electrical tape it up.

All works fine, no more clicking from the pump. Air is cold all in time for the summer heat wave!

Scanned it and one fault does come up
01296 but danio said it can be ignored which I agree as it finally works!!!

I didn't wire up the cigarette lighter as I have no need for it. Turned it into an iPhone Dock. Will get pics when I get my hands on another camera.