JB1 Install Help!

AL53STR

Reaction score
I just started installing the JB1 box, all fine with the two sensors at the top. I then go under the car to remove the undertray to access the bost sensor.

In all the manuals/videos I see this is a small simples piece of plastic however under my s3 8VFL there seems to be a metal shield!!

Am I missing something?

Under tray will be different for different markets, the one in the jb1/4 manual is actually shows the American Golf r/s3 and have will be different and a lot harder to remove.

Thanks @Shawn8V

I have just added 2 quick pictures of the metal thing under my car.... is that what needs to come off?!?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 144
Thanks @Shawn8V

I have just added 2 quick pictures of the metal thing under my car.... is that what needs to come off?!?

Thanks

Did you buy your car second hand ? Seems like someone’s put an aftermarket undertray on

Did you buy your car second hand ? Seems like someone’s put an aftermarket undertray on

Nope bought it from my local Audi dealer in December with 50 miles on the clock straight from the showroom... Am I right in thinking its that massive metal tray that would need to come off though to access the bost sensor?

Nope bought it from my local Audi dealer in December with 50 miles on the clock straight from the showroom... Am I right in thinking its that massive metal tray that would need to come off though to access the bost sensor?

Never seen one with a metal tray, usually it’s plastic. Yes you’d need to take it fully off to expose the bottom boost sensor. Taking of the sensor can be a pain since there’s a vacuum created whiles it’s clipped in. Pry in a long thin flat nose screwdriver under the tab and pull it out. Once you know how to do it it’ll be a lot easier for the future.

Never seen one with a metal tray, usually it’s plastic. Yes you’d need to take it fully off to expose the bottom boost sensor. Taking of the sensor can be a pain since there’s a vacuum created whiles it’s clipped in. Pry in a long thin flat nose screwdriver under the tab and pull it out. Once you know how to do it it’ll be a lot easier for the future.

Thanks! Puts me off slightly now I can see it's not just a little plastic cover that I can easily take off. This metal one is secured with bolts and torx and stretches well back over half of the car! It may just have to go back!

Thanks! Puts me off slightly now I can see it's not just a little plastic cover that I can easily take off. This metal one is secured with bolts and torx and stretches well back over half of the car! It may just have to go back!

Normal plastic one is the same as it goes to the back of the front subframe, has torx screws along the front and sides which are easy to take off but the back ones are bolts which are a pain to take off yourself.

So after a little more digging for anyone interested... apparently this is now standard practise in s3 convertibles being produced. Wonder how long until it’s rolled across more cars!

So after a little more digging for anyone interested... apparently this is now standard practise in s3 convertibles being produced. Wonder how long until it’s rolled across more cars!

Guess it’s to add some extra strength and rigidity to the frame since it’s a convertible which does make sense.

Very true! Although makes all tuning boxes very much less plug and play... looks like I’ll stick to stock for now!

Its not a big job to remove the tray, even with the 2 rear bolts, so well worth the effort to remove it.
The MTM M-cantronic which is a doddle to fit, plugs straight into the ECU so no need to get under the car and can be fit or removed in 5 minutes

Reactions: jungle650
Its not a big job to remove the tray, even with the 2 rear bolts, so well worth the effort to remove it.
The MTM M-cantronic which is a doddle to fit, plugs straight into the ECU so no need to get under the car and can be fit or removed in 5 minutes

I know it shouldn't be and i know what to do but with it being metal rather than plastic the bolts are all pretty solidly clamped (i went through 2 screwdrivers trying to get them off). It was then that i realised this is not very plug and play, if it was plastic and easy to take off i would have had it on by now!

I know it shouldn't be and i know what to do but with it being metal rather than plastic the bolts are all pretty solidly clamped (i went through 2 screwdrivers trying to get them off). It was then that i realised this is not very plug and play, if it was plastic and easy to take off i would have had it on by now!
It looks fairly simple to me just need some good gear and it’ll come straight off it’s nothing fancy

Managed to do it, as the benefit of metal is it doesn’t clip in so doesn’t need fully removing :D

Just need to get checked that unplugging the sensors hasn’t logged any errors now?

Yep this is what I discovered! Oh well managed to get it fitted and all seems to be well, left it on map 1. Just hope my turbo and dsg are fine now :D

Reactions: lenny151
had a dtuk then jb1 an then jb4 now stage 2 unicorn on mine without any issues just keep on top of your oil changes

had a dtuk then jb1 an then jb4 now stage 2 unicorn on mine without any issues just keep on top of your oil changes

Good to know @lenny151 - was that on a stock s3? As i haven't upgraded anything from stock other than installing the JB1