JBS Auto Designs, anybody used them?

Deep penetrator

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I’m currently waiting for MRC to get back to me about going stage2 on my FL RS3, however I live not too far away from JBS and so I’m curious as to whether any of you have used them, recommend them or the complete opposite. They are very very pricey from the get go but that won’t deter me if the products good.

Cheers.

Well known tuning company who a lot on here have used and their products

Reactions: Sandra
They used to get a lot of stick a while back but a lot of it was unfounded.

These days, James is responsible for Custom Code and it’s Custom Code that all the Iroz cars are running.

Iroz cars are running very well.

If they are on your doorstep, then it’s probably a sound option for you.

They used to get a lot of stick a while back but a lot of it was unfounded.

These days, James is responsible for Custom Code and it’s Custom Code that all the Iroz cars are running.

Iroz cars are running very well.

If they are on your doorstep, then it’s probably a sound option for you.

Yeah I have learned about Iroz cars running CC software, I think that’s why there pricing themselves where they are, £1500 just for software......

That will be with the TCU map too as Custom Code will not map the engine without mapping the box

APR will be around the same. £875 + £675 I think. (If you have a look at their Mk7 Golf R prices, RS3 will likely be around the same)

MRC a little cheaper, I believe Stage 2 is £750-£850 plus £350 for TCU.

£1500 even if it is with TCU tweak is getting expensive IMO.

That will be with the TCU map too as Custom Code will not map the engine without mapping the box

APR will be around the same. £875 + £675 I think. (If you have a look at their Mk7 Golf R prices, RS3 will likely be around the same)

MRC a little cheaper, I believe Stage 2 is £750-£850 plus £350 for TCU.

MRC will do me a nice discount and for both it’s coming out around £945

Reactions: FBF01
I'm looking at the same, am in Mansfield so close to one and have a friend that they did stage 2 on. His results have been really good but have always been a fan of mrc, they have to be the biggest UK name for audi tuning. How have you managed a discount?

I'm looking at the same, am in Mansfield so close to one and have a friend that they did stage 2 on. His results have been really good but have always been a fan of mrc, they have to be the biggest UK name for audi tuning. How have you managed a discount?

Yeah that’s what’s pushing me more towards MRC. They will provide a military discount for me.

Reactions: Sandra, voorhees and dc911
Cheers for the reply, so I take that as a positive then?
I never heard any negatives but me personally I would rather use MRC and even more so if you get service discount

Reactions: Deep penetrator
Ive used JBS for years, James and the team know their stuff and they’ve always delivered. I didn’t fancy having to travel all the way from Leeds to MRC either if there were any issues going forward. I’m already going in for warranty work next week, so I’m going down for a flash on Friday.

MRC mapped my mates FL RS3 and they’re more or less the same, mine 4hp more with the K&N filter.

Here’s my figures, not messing about.

Attachments

• IMG_1375(small).jpg
    IMG_1375(small).jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 210
That power line wants to continue to climb at 5500 there Jay.

Standard intercooler is stopping it.

Looks good though for a Stage 1, nice delta gain too, similar to MRC's stage 1 delta gain. (There's is in PS, CC in bhp)

Reactions: jaysrs4
100% Leo - Its getting hot and theres obviously loads more power there. I'm hankering after stage 2 now, but its a combination of money and warranty i'm worried about. Easy to re-flash and hope for the best, not so easy removing an intercooler and downpipe!

What I can't understand are these companies claiming 500 from a map alone, its clear the standard intercooler isn't man enough.

Tell you what though, its proper quick. I gave it a boot full a couple days ago from about 20 mph, and it made my eyes go blurry! Next time I glanced at the speedo I was doing over 70 lol

Yes, lots of dodgy dynos around. Yours has a good baseline at 400 too and then the after so your results can be trusted.

Cars that are coming off the dyno with 420/430/440 etc standard and then map to 500, erm nope. I'd rather have a 470hp car performing well than a '500hp' car performing poorly.

In worst case scenario if you blew an engine or a gearbox and were looking at a £15k bill to replace, you wouldn't risk getting it towed to Audi for them to find the TD1 flag, you would get the car towed back to JBS, order up a new ECU from Audi (£1k) with the standard configuration, remove the intercooler and downpipe and then get it towed to Audi ;)

You could even short circuit the original ECU making it unreadable. There are ways and means around TD1 ;)

Stage 1 and Stage 2 cars should not be out of engineering tolerances though so if you did blow an engine or gearbox, it was likely a manufacturing defect to begin with. If there are cars out there running about with 7-800hp engines, a car at 520hp is hardly going to cause a rod to come through the block.

All hypothetical of course, I'm obviously not condoning fraudulence of Audi here, just talking out loud about what some rogue characters would do ;) We would all of course just get our cheque books, take it on the chin like a man and give Audi £15k for a new engine ;)

lmfao - you funny! I think for me its not really about the worst case scenario stuff. I've already had a good few conversations with James regarding unlikely catastrophic failure.

Put it this way, the car is going in for a new exhaust under warranty on Monday, now if I had a downpipe and intercooler fitted, I'm not sure i'd like to risk them finding them and things unraveling from there.

I'm sure that at some point after I've had it for a few more months and my little dealer issues have disappeared, I'll bite the bullet :racer:

Yes, that's true, it's the smaller issues in the meantime where they may flag the car unknowingly.

You may actually be risking it now by taking it in for a new exhaust. They hook it up and it flags, you may not even know about it.

Even if I've had it re-flashed?

No one knows to be fair, it would only be guess work. Some say it wouldn't and some say it would still leave a marker. James is a clever bug*er though and knows his way around the ECU tables so if he says there's no worries then that would be good enough for me.

Reactions: jaysrs4
You're right, he is, done well has the boy!

Well, we'll see, better than not doing it al all I guess. At least i've done what I can.

Ive used JBS for years, James and the team know their stuff and they’ve always delivered. I didn’t fancy having to travel all the way from Leeds to MRC either if there were any issues going forward. I’m already going in for warranty work next week, so I’m going down for a flash on Friday.

MRC mapped my mates FL RS3 and they’re more or less the same, mine 4hp more with the K&N filter.

Don’t suppose you know what he paid for stage1 do you?

Did you get the DSG software too mate?

Yes mate, they won’t map them without the box done as well.

It's a nice way for them to make a bit more money for what is probably just increasing clamping pressures. I can't believe stage 1 that it's really that necessary. Could be wrong.

Very interesting gents, JBS are 25 mins from me as oppose to 1.5hrs for MRC. Think I’ll take a trip to JBS tomorrow and have a chat with the guys.

Speak to Richard and tell him you’ve seen my map and have referred you (James with the black saloon from Leeds). They’ll look after you.

It's a nice way for them to make a bit more money for what is probably just increasing clamping pressures. I can't believe stage 1 that it's really that necessary. Could be wrong.

Agreed, same with MRC though, not actually sure what they do.

APR's pricing is crazy for theirs but they give you a list of everything they do and you do get the benefit of adjustable launch control...

http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/tcu_upgrade_dq250_mqb.html

£659 though and that's on the S3/TTS and Golf R, they've still to release info for the RS3's/TTRS's

Going by their PFL prices..

http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/ecu_upgrade_25tfsi_mqb.html

Stage 2 on an RS3 PFL = £994.

Waiting to see what kind of price they are wanting for the FL cars. Stage 2 definitely requires TCU so looking at the above, looks like it's going to be about £1650 to map a Stage 2 car with APR.

APR have said that they have inhibited the pops and crackles on Stage 1 tunes due to severe degradation of the Catalytic converter in testing. So if there are any Stage 1 cars running around with the pop and crackle maps, chances are, you've probably or are probably destroying your cat.

Attachments

• 3C1FFD7A-E0F7-4B6D-831A-DEAA5A632B04.jpeg
    3C1FFD7A-E0F7-4B6D-831A-DEAA5A632B04.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 214
Why are you having your exhaust replaced?

Valve rattle on the back box. I’m not sure it’ll cure it, however Audi said they’d replace it under warranty so may as well.

Reactions: dc911
So after cracking some recon I’ve decided to go with........ Revo!!

Cars being done tomorrow morning as there stage1 software is released tomorrow. The caveat being that they won’t tell me the performance figures or price until first thing so I don’t leak it lol. If it turns out the price is ridiculous then I’ll be heading on to MRC.

Reactions: Kristijan Sabljar
Agreed, same with MRC though, not actually sure what they do.

APR's pricing is crazy for theirs but they give you a list of everything they do and you do get the benefit of adjustable launch control...

http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/tcu_upgrade_dq250_mqb.html

£659 though and that's on the S3/TTS and Golf R, they've still to release info for the RS3's/TTRS's

Going by their PFL prices..

http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/ecu_upgrade_25tfsi_mqb.html

Stage 2 on an RS3 PFL = £994.

Waiting to see what kind of price they are wanting for the FL cars. Stage 2 definitely requires TCU so looking at the above, looks like it's going to be about £1650 to map a Stage 2 car with APR.

APR have said that they have inhibited the pops and crackles on Stage 1 tunes due to severe degradation of the Catalytic converter in testing. So if there are any Stage 1 cars running around with the pop and crackle maps, chances are, you've probably or are probably destroying your cat.
Interesting. Question, why would pops and crackles with stage 2 not melt the cat like stage 1?

@penetrator Revo I think are actually pretty decent. I used to know the guy who was responsible for their maps and he knew his stuff. Price will also be very competitive. You also have @Kristijan Sabljar who has Revo and will vouch for it.

Reactions: Kristijan Sabljar and Deep penetrator
There is no cat in a Stage 2 tune Doc ;)

That’s the only requirement to go from Stage 1 to 2.
Although on the TTRS / FL RS3, intercooler is clearly a must.

Or if you decide to opt for sports cat, they are generally only 1-200 cell so not a huge hot restriction. Chances are you would probably nacker a sports cat eventually too though. They can be pretty unreliable even under normal circumstances so full decat is the way to go.

Reactions: D0C
So all this poping and cracking I get on my PFL whilst manually downshifting could be destroying the cats, oh dear :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Deep penetrator
Well the car has now received the Revo stage1 and wow! Absolutely ridiculous lol savage to be fair. More than happy with my choice.
Glad to hear. Cars are much more fun with a map.

Are there any more/less pops or crackles post map?

Glad to hear. Cars are much more fun with a map.

Are there any more/less pops or crackles post map?

Hi mate, I personally think there’s a slight increase in the pops/crackles but if it’s increased it’s very subtle which I’m happy with.
Unreal performance now!

Reactions: DW81 and FBF01