"Jerky" S-tronic gear change

replicant71

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently started to notice that the gear changes on my two year old S3 are not as smooth and are sometimes quite "jerky". This is in normal auto drive mode.

Any ideas what this could be the start of?

In for comments....mine is doing it a bit too....however I am APR tuned (ECU and TCU)....so have decided to do a DSG service early (supposed to be a 60,000km....but I'm going to do it around 40,000km). Looking at getting a billet aluminium finned housing plus metal filter (USP around $260) and change the fluid....then double check my TCU tune. Should be right after that...

Reactions: Rob2k68
Mines on 30,000 miles now and I too get the occasional abrupt change so it's going in for oil and filter next week rather than wait another 10,000 miles (also tuned). Will get the rear diff oil done at the same time. Transfer box and Haldex fluids were done about 6 months ago.

May also get the Milltek on for good measure too ;o)

Reactions: Djs3saloon and PanamaS3
Mines on 30,000 miles now and I too get the occasional abrupt change so it's going in for oil and filter next week rather than wait another 10,000 miles (also tuned). Will get the rear diff oil done at the same time. Transfer box and Haldex fluids were done about 6 months ago.

May also get the Milltek on for good measure too ;o)

How VERY dare you Mr.Rob!!
Yes to Milltek mate! Gonna sound like a proppa geezer with that bad bwoy lol (assuming non-res)
What brand oil/fluids did you use for DSG, diff, transfer box and Haldex please Professor Rob?

Reactions: Djs3saloon and Rob2k68
How VERY dare you Mr.Rob!!
Yes to Milltek mate! Gonna sound like a proppa geezer with that bad bwoy lol (assuming non-res)
What brand oil/fluids did you use for DSG, diff, transfer box and Haldex please Professor Rob?

LOL :tearsofjoy: need to go res and valved as I leave for work crazy early and don't want to upset the neighbours (or the wife!!).

Not sure what they used when the trans box and Haldex pump were replaced to be honest but assume (hope) it was decent quality. Going to book it in for the DSG & diff tomorrow so I'll ask what they use. Is the finned filter housing an ECS jobby ?

Reactions: PanamaS3
LOL :tearsofjoy: need to go res and valved as I leave for work crazy early and don't want to upset the neighbours (or the wife!!).

Not sure what they used when the trans box and Haldex pump were replaced to be honest but assume (hope) it was decent quality. Going to book it in for the DSG & diff tomorrow so I'll ask what they use. Is the finned filter housing an ECS jobby ?
hahahaha....God forbid you wake the missus up when you leave mate!! lol
filter and housing is this one bud...
Upload 2017 5 29 12 39 21

You might want to consider that the engine is going into protection mode. I had this happen about 40 times. It is just a coincidence that it occurs when the S-tronic shifts to the next gear. Protection mode cuts the fuel a lot or a little. The first time it happened to me I got the full monty, from full power to no power. I looked in the mirror expecting to see car parts strewn all over the road. It can also be a tiny glitch where you are wondering - What just happened? Small changes can add up and work against you or conditions can stack up on your side and the problem can disappear for a while. The best test is to go up a hill in manual, full throttle (don't go to redline), no passengers and an empty petrol tank.

You guys know that you can do a DSG adaption & reset with VCDS or OBDeleven right? It's sorted everything out for me, not saying you shouldn't change DSG oil because of this or anything, but just saying...

I have a two year old diesel S tronic with 37000 miles and it has started to get jerky in the lower gears. I am hoping an Stronic oil/filter change in a month or so sorts it out.

You guys know that you can do a DSG adaption & reset with VCDS or OBDeleven right? It's sorted everything out for me, not saying you shouldn't change DSG oil because of this or anything, but just saying...

Hmm interesting - do you have the steps to do this handy (VCDS) and what exactly does it do ?

Booked in for an oil change a week Friday.

According to the service schedule, the S-tronic oil/filter is not due to be changed until 38000 miles (no time restriction, just mileage), mine has only done 10000, so should I really be looking at changing the oil now?

I would say not and get it booked in to be looked at presumably with that mileage you're still under warranty?

Just had a DSG service and Revo pendulum mount fitted gear changes are now noticeably smoother but difficult to say which has contributed most towards this .....

IMG 4005

I would say not and get it booked in to be looked at presumably with that mileage you're still under warranty?
Hey Rob. Sorry to drag up an old thread but did this sort it for you mate? Mines jerky and done about 33,000 miles now.

Yes mate - the pendulum/dog bone/lower torque mount whatever you want to call it helped a lot moreso than the DSG service.

Reactions: 4K