Jimmeh vs Audi RS2

Jimmeh

Reaction score
Originally posted on behalf of DetailingWorld.co.uk

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Audi RS2

“Audi what..?” let me explain:

The Audi RS2 Avant was a limited edition, high performance Audi estate car / station wagon, sold from 1994 to 1996. Collaboratively designed by Audi and Porsche, and built on Audi's 80 Avant, it was the company's first "RS" vehicle,[1] and the first of their high performance Avants; it used the most powerful and most thoroughly developed version of the company's turbocharged inline-5 cylinder engine.

Although it was never exported outside of Europe, except for a few to Hong Kong, South Africa, Brazil and New Zealand, the RS2 has amassed an impressive cult following worldwide, and it is often regarded as being the vehicle that finally firmly established Audi as a producer of practical high performance vehicles; its estate body, and standard quattro permanent four-wheel-drive system made it usable as a comfortable daily driver even in poor weather conditions.

To my knowledge there are ~120 left in the UK, so you could say they’re pretty rare.

I *think* this car was previously owned by a very reputable member of DetailingWorld; I have dropped them a PM to double check.

This job follows from my Porsche Boxter job I did last weekend. I’ve been looking forward to this all week, so, here goes!

*Please NOTE:
  • I had left my 18-70mm lens at home (forgot to put it back in my kit bag after cleaning it last week
  • I didn’t get on too well with the cold/damp/condensation. This really did play up when coming to the polishing/buffing stages
  • The interior has had to be left till another time. 9 hours work solid on the exterior alone (without correction….!?!!)

Process & Product
1. Clean/dress/polish engine bay
2. Clean shuts, sills and detail areas
3. Wheels/arches
4. Foamed > Body wash
5. Tar removal
6. Dry
8. Polished
9. x 2 coats of LSP
10. Wheels sealed
11. Tyres dressed
12. Interior mats cleaned
13. Exhaust polished up
14. Windows & final buff over
15. Leather treated
16. Further coat of LSP
17. Interior dressed/waxed/cleansed

· AutoSmart G101
· Megs Gold Class/Ultimit
· Megs SuperDegreaser
· Megs LastTouch
· Megs Wheel Brightener
· Megs Endurance Tyre Gel
· Chemical Guys Wheel Guard
· Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
· Jeffs Werkstat Prime, Acrylic Jett & Glos
· Victoria Concours Wax
· Tardis
· Belgom ALU & AG Metal polish
· Wire-wool
· AS Blast
· Relentless
· Jaffa Cakes
· Gliptone Leather Cleaner & Conditioner
· 303 Areospace

Although there wasn’t a massive spec for this job, it seemed to go on forever. It was a nightmare if I’m honest, I really did struggle.

Process

Fifty minutes into my journey, I note how cold it actually is:

44efa2ac.jpg

Last week, sure it was cold, but throughout the job I felt fine. Only when I was packing up/stopped for a tea or coffee did I ever feel the bite in the air. This time, I’d come well prepared: x2 pairs of socks. Boxers, shorts, combats. Vest, thermal top, DW T-shirt, Fleece. Change of footwear and a hat!

First things first, a passenger ride in the car in question. Our excuse was that we needed meat from the butchers, however, we got a little ‘lost’. On the way back we stumbled upon a private test track and watched the average MPG drop, rapidly! An awesome motor though, it has to be said.

Check YouTube for a few vids of what these cars can really do.

Back to base, a cup of coffee and a quick chat, I’m then working out how to best tackle the day. (Knowing it’s dark by 4pm)

To kick things off, I thought I’d pop the bonnet and give it a bit of a wipedown..

a9984cc2.jpg

257516a8.jpg

ed472acb.jpg

Using a mix of G101/SuperDegreaser, MF’s and brushes various, I worked all plastics & bodywork and then followed round with a clean MF to wipe dry.

Metal was brought up with BELGOM ALU:

be8b0a35.jpg

Before:
ceedf368.jpg

After:
9ca5e3a6.jpg

65908c2c.jpg

Tough to distinguish on the photos, but the block was quite worn and pitted. Lots of degreaser along with the BELGOM ALU & elbow grease, I feel it came up quite well.

The trouble is, I’d spent about an hour working already at this point; I had to crack on. I continued to work the main areas, dressing plastics with CG New Look Trim Gel and silicone hoses with 303.

c7d40dff.jpg

f09bb413.jpg

f0a8d162.jpg
d9103ca3.jpg

The hood was then dropped and I questioned what would be the next best section to target:

Sills and shuts.

Again, using G101, S.DG and brushes various.

They weren’t too bad to begin with:

8c302492.jpg

ac91ddc8.jpg

But brought up nicely in any case: (minus the odd patch of grease)

10ea82ae.jpg

Wheels & Calipers.

b1afcd9e.jpg

71a3758c.jpg

7f13ebd8.jpg

Dejavu

Starting with a good scrub to the tyre wall, Megs WB was then applied, agitated and rinsed to leave the EZ Detail Brush for cleaning deep into the rim.

2a271c1a.jpg

675b75f3.jpg

The callipers were cleaned with a selection of brushes and Megs Degreaser. (It’s a real pain having to move the car to gain access to areas that were previously covered!)

189d7e22.jpg

b4a13e32.jpg

You remember Bill, right? I took him a few treats today, however he was more interested in his Unicorn..

ddf07f07.jpg

e9d406e4.jpg

*grr!*

Bacon sarnie round II! (I was really well fed today, happy days)

993b5327.jpg

cb74ae95.jpg

(Impersonating Bill)

Jim vs Time - Time was winning, I’d spent a good few hours on the car already; I’d barely even started!

Foamed, and I did a little run around with G101/detail brushes cleaning those ‘hard to reach’ areas:

4dfcfbc7.jpg

Foam left for 5 more mins:

665818de.jpg

And then pressure washed off:

63953104.jpg

Credit to the previous owner, whatever wax the car had had formerly, it was still showing good signs longevity. Most impressive.

Washed via TBM and rinsed to leave:

b0e1cafc.jpg

de828153.jpg

Dried using a spritz of LastTouch and a mega huuuge towel:

dab3dab0.jpg

Time to switch things round a bit. Bring the Porsche out (which looked nice and glossy still..) and manoeuvre the RS2 into it’s place in the garage.

bee27bb7.jpg

A quick tidy up, assess the process in which I’m to carry out and I rig up the halogens.

Large/flat areas were worked with a yellow polishing pad and Jeffs Prime. Correction wasn’t on the itinery today.

a436f56e.jpg

befec8c9.jpg

e13d3ad9.jpg

Smaller, hard to reach areas were then brought up by hand & applicator.

23e55930.jpg
a5468f22.jpg

The polish really didn’t want to play ball, very cloggy and keep dumping massive deposits all over the shop. Three pads were used throughout to try cut this out. (can anyone explain why it did this? Too much? Too cold!?)

Bodywork was wiped over with Jeffs GLOS. Then out with the Acrylic JETT.

f4aa048d.jpg

fa82aec9.jpg

7f5b1d0e.jpg

Another wipe over with the GLOS.

Now, after chatting to N8 KOW, I thought I’d give my Victoria Wax a go on a silver car.. I always thought it’s ‘intended’, was for darker, deep coloured cars. (And that Collectors wax was the choice for a lighter coloured job..)

But anyway, here it is. It went on nicely, and buffed off pretty effortlessly too.

e286cfe1.jpg

and again, GLOS:

c3f1c3aa.jpg

A strange mark was noted above the drivers front wing:

26f614df.jpg

Back out with the polishing pads and some Menz FF to remove it.

3bdc039f.jpg

Now, seeing as though I had brought the rotary back out, I thought I’d polish up the headlights a bit.

Using an Ultimate 100mm Polishing pad (Thanks Polished Bliss!) and Menz FF:

8bb4a75c.jpg

864f5017.jpg

Alloys were sealed with CG WheelGuard:

44a89c58.jpg

As were the new wheels that were waiting to go on the Boxter.

e5dcb601.jpg

a23a3640.jpg

Take one Jaffa Cake (Other low fat/high energy snack cakes ARE available..) and put it on a rear wheel to emphasize how BIG they were. They were enormous but yet, still quite light in weight.

c3ecf2fd.jpg

Two Relentless down, 10 more Jaffa Cakes to go:

008c4ed2.jpg

Halogens brought outside to the rear. Time to clean those dark and dismal exhaust pipes.

bef1ce1f.jpg

My usual applicator didn’t want to know, it was being laughed at. So improvising a bit, I took the rough end off of my tyre-gel applicator and used it for a more aggressive approach on the stubborn ‘zorsts.

afcb62c3.jpg
bdbfd768.jpg

An early 50/50:
341395e0.jpg

With a bit more refinement:
5fa46b9d.jpg

After:
966676dd.jpg

The only work I could carry out on the Interior was to polish the windows, hoover and clean the mats, give the pedals a scrub and a dashing spray of AS BLAST, Cool.

1b85bfb6.jpg

25bd064f.jpg

bf2a402f.jpg

Misc.

a4959a89.jpg

9f38c335.jpg
4919e703.jpg

7bdd7909.jpg

3c3e3069.jpg
8dd79259.jpg

3c4404f2.jpg
ffbf1c54.jpg

At the point of cleaning the exhausts, I was left on my own. One Audi to finish, one Porsche to re-garage and a load of guess work as to the right combination of Porsche, Audi, garage door and gate. It really did test me. C’mon, I’m now cold at this point; I had slowed down and was starting to feel the chill.

Having brought both cars onto the drive…

48692309.jpg

7f04117f.jpg

.. I managed to get the gate closed and locked; only inches away from the nose of the Audi. Now, how to shut that garage door? *D’oh!* I had to re-open the gate, drive the Audi out to allow the garage to come over and down. Good. So, Audi back in and close the gates. I sharn’t go on, but with the funny angled gates and ~3/4inches give at the front & rear of the vehicles it was quite taxing. (There’s obviously a knack to it, I’m sure.)

e0ae4c9d.jpg

cfe8cd03.jpg

6d2140d8.jpg
22f67de6.jpg

9a7b307d.jpg

065c4d08.jpg

(^shame about the stone chips)

Packed up, locked up and key’s delivered, it’s just gone 7pm. Then five miles from home:

f2f9ebea.jpg

at one point it dropped to –1. Ouch

Waking up this morning, I’m so sore; my legs are limp and my back is tight. How can cleaning cars do this to you?

Just like what Baker21 said in his last report: (BMW 5-series)

“Such a shame that you can be outdoors all day and when all the hard work comes to a close the light is just against you, felt I was rushing towards the end but it was just the light playing with my body clock.”

I’d love to see the car in natural light. Hopefully, I’ll be able to source some full afters at a later date.

Todays plan? To wash and unload the S3 and to try out my new Menz FMJ :)!!

Thanks reading.. Sorry I go on a bit.. :rolleyes:

Jim

Reactions: Benji.S3
Now, seeing as though Part.I of the job was much longer (and tougher) than I expected, I had to make a return journey earlier this week to finish the interior and do a few final 'last checks'.

So here you are, reading Part.II

First job was to get the car into the sun, for those all important after shots that I missed on Sunday..

c037f41a.jpg
a2914121.jpg

aa702d77.jpg

Ah, very good.

Gliptone leather cleaner used with a damp Mf:

2b7c3d4f.jpg
a3b920e2.jpg

c0dcbe8b.jpg

MF after the drivers seat...

c0484903.jpg

and after the lot...

b6bccd25.jpg

Aired for 5 minutes, buffed off with a clean MF.

Gliptone Conditioner then applied:

bdd265ab.jpg

:eek:,

45a24b15.jpg

Carbon Fibre inserts upfront were waxed with DoDo Purple Haze:

5500b6a5.jpg

a59899d1.jpg

As were the back pieces on the door trims:

25075536.jpg

and buffed:

8a656e17.jpg

a312d0fc.jpg

A thorough hoover throughout.

Rear mats ready to go back in:

6a9f21ef.jpg

and the front passengers:

730a35f9.jpg

Here's one for Sean :cool::

0ace15ba.jpg

At this point, before I forget, I gave the car a wipe down with LastTouch and gave an extra coat of Collu 476. :thumb:

Interior general afters:

58d15d35.jpg
4409bc15.jpg

72d82794.jpg

b1c5c99e.jpg

8ad6a29e.jpg

A walk around and final check..

and I spot a bit I'd missed on the calliper:

89e23fb8.jpg

79adfa16.jpg
52be55ee.jpg

2d0f01f3.jpg

d7a17026.jpg

130d0787.jpg

9796e102.jpg
8a3da20e.jpg

6ae602f4.jpg

51590bce.jpg

9e2e8122.jpg

"Hi Bill!"

87897ae2.jpg

The three together. The Boxter, RS2 and the Clio Trophy I am to fit in in the next few weeks.

9241eebb.jpg

Now at this point, I gave a helping hand in changing the wheels over on the Boxter. (only to find out we'd been given the wrong size wheel-bolts! *D'oh!*)

The Clio was then given a once over, I packed up and I was off. "Hooters here I come! ;)"

86ccea98.jpg

57770ff1.jpg

(It was cold..)

d2e0365c.jpg

50938bf7.jpg

4 hours later saw 7 of us at Hooters, "Half price Ribs" on Wednesday! Eyes bigger than our bellies, but sure enough, we polished it off no problem. (rack of ribs each, two jalapeno chilli fries, 50 wings, 10 drumsticks and beer. Lots of beer.)

bf54e3a6.jpg

37412013.jpg

A busy, but a very enjoyable/rewarding day.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Jim

Cracking work, lot done in the time available, and good shots to prove it too! Well done that man, no fun at this time of year, but you made the effort and soreness worthwhile lol! :arco:

Thanks Rich.

The job was carried out early December, the cold just added to the fun!

I love how the 'Ne Plus Ultra' job on the Gallardo is still alive and taking hits.. It's amazing what you guys do. PolishedBliss are one of the reasons why my wallet keeps taking a hammering!!

Keep it up.

What a car! Makes me feel bad for not baring my back to the cold these last few weekends and cleaned mine!
Lovely work to a car that is more than deserving!
Question is - did you get to take it out??

I didn't personally, no. I only moved it from A to B whilst working on it. I did however have a ride out in it on the private roads in the area!

Whaaa wee! :)

That matey, is, absolutely spot on.....I will be using this thread as reference/inspiration for my new found addiction to detailing (I was warned it would happen). If I have annoyed anyone by bringing an old thread up, I apologise.
Once again, nice one!

Good work. Car looks great.

Love the photography too. It's funny how leaving behind a lens you would usually choose for a particular job makes you look at things differently and you end up with some really creative shots!

Always great to see cracking work resurected! You have come a long way since Jim, but don't be hard on yourself - the above was still a super detail and a great read too. :icon_thumright: