Johna650 S3 8L

johna650

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is John and this is a thread to share the progress I make as I fix/repair/tune my S3.
A little about the car...Classic 2000 pre facelift S3. Bought it a year ago (02/2021) third hand with 210k km (130k miles). Registered with APY engine, but swapped with AMK.

20210612_204924.jpg

Begun with doing the wheels and tires. The wheels are Work CR bronze 18'' by 8.5'' . The tires are Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 225/40/R18
20211224_123557.jpg
20220415_215701.jpg

Reactions: MrBiskuit, S3AMJ and MPH
Second mod is the conversion of the console to facelift 2 din. The head unit is Pioneer SPH-DA250DAB.
20220219_192450.jpg

If any of the members requires more info on the console conversion, please ask and I can compile a guide in PDF.

Reactions: MrBiskuit, MPH and Ian W
Last weekend focused on maintenance and deep cleaning of the car..
Materials/Tools used:
  1. Karcher pressure K4 washer
  2. Karcher steam cleaner
  3. Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner
  4. Brushes and Microfiber towels
  5. Plastic restoration fluid (nanotechnology)
I think the result speaks for itself:
20220326_170812.jpg

Reactions: hydro s3, MPH and Ian W
Another update on the car... Since I bought it the engine plastic covers were missing, along with the mounting spots. So with a little help from etka, I managed to find the mounting point for the wiper fluid side (8N0 103 946 A), bought a second hand battery tray assembly and of course the plastic covers.

20220428_075204.jpg

Reactions: MPH and Ian W
Some elaboration on the 2 Din project..

Picture1.png

Still missing a blank on the left side of the ESP button.. Unfortunately I did not use the clima fascia with the heating switches since my seats are not heated, but kept the parts if I ever come across a good deal with a pair of heated seats.
Physical installation:
  1. Find a climate control with code 8D0 820 043M (HELLA item)
  2. Regarding the climate control fascia you will need a 2 DIN fascia or a 1 DIN (as I did, and file it on the edges to fit the console)
  3. The climate control fascia are interchangeable, and only approximately 10 torx screws need to be removed. NOTE: Beware of the plastics, these are 20+ year old plastics and are very prone to breaking if not broken already.
  4. The fascia for the 2 DIN display is an aftermarket one, and was advertised as Audi A4 B5 (or B6) fascia. Some filing maybe required here, but not anything extreme. NOT: It is not very clear on the photos, but the fascia does not entirely flush with the center console body (as did the OEM), but I think this is something minor and we can live with that.
Wiring wise, it was an easy job:
  1. Hazard switch is straight fit, no action required
  2. ESP switch for a car electrician is easy (10 minutes tops)
  3. Rear de-mister is two cables that have to be extended, down to the climate control (pre fl uses separate switch on the top of the console)
  4. Temp motor behind console: has 2 cables, one of them is BLACK/RED (some cars may have BLACK colour), this should be connected to pin 6 i socket A.
  5. Connect together pins C3 and C14 (bridge them)
  6. Connect together pins D14 and D15 (bridge them)
  7. Pin A10 should be rewired to B6
  8. With VAG-COM erase all faulty codes. and change coding for 0314
As for the 2 DIN display, nothing to report regarding the installation. It is pretty much straight forward for anyone that has installed an aftermarket sound source in their vehicle. I opted for a PIONEER SPH-DA250DAB 6.8'' screen.

Cheer mates, and specially thanks to the members of this forum greasyaxl and Danio for the information shared in the following topic LINK

Good Morning everyone! So the day before yesterday I purchased a Vag-Com cable and checked my ECU in order to familiarize myself with the interface and to gather some intel about the car. As discussed in the previous posts.. the car has left the factory as an APY (narrowband, SAI, etc.), but the previous owner has replaced the engine with an AMK (wideband, no SAI, etc.). Therefore, what I have to work with is the following:
  1. AMK engine/head with VVT installed but not electrically connected
  2. narrowband MAF
  3. no EGT
  4. narrowband O2 sensor and harness
  5. N249 has been reomved (job done vaguely)
  6. engine loom is not at the best shape (physical inspection by me) and is for narrowband
So, based on the above, I am on the hunt for a wideband conversion. I have to source all the components, and hopefully familirarize myself with the programming tools to immo off the new ECU and find out whatever is required for the instrument cluster.
Attached is the report as it was printed from VCDS

Attachments

• VCDS Auto-Scan Printout-WAUZZZ8LZYAO78385_04 05 2022 v2.pdf
    38.2 KB · Views: 91
Another udpate on the car...It has been really long since I had time to mess with the car..So yesterday I replaced the stock recirculation valve with an HKS SSQV. The HKS has also been converted to recirculation..Please note that I fabricated a new chrage pipe out of aluminum. Sound wise you can definately hear the turbo spooling, and due to the design of the SSQV there is some fluttering. A few pictures follow:

20230722_153844.jpg

20230722_153913.jpg

20230805_210046.jpg

20230805_210123.jpg