Just bought 2010 B8 S4 Avant :)

smurftech

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just acquired a Sprint Blue 2010 S4 B8 Avant (Manual), my first Audi.

First on the list, tidy up the little scratches and tiny dents, paintwork correction, get it back to mint condition - love this colour, I have waited 2 years to get this exact spec, Avant, Sprint Blue, Manual.

Considering a RS4 grille as an easy mod, undecided yet...

Not sure if it's already been modified as even in 6th gear it was bonkers pickup and acceleration.

Anyone know where I can find out it's original factory spec? It now has a massive android tablet screen that's non OEM.

Cheers
Smurf

Check out the sticker on the inside cover of your service book, pretty sure all the codes there relate to the specification.

Reactions: smurftech
The same sticker is in the boot as well if you don’t have a service book. My money is on it having been tweaked a bit, as standard they are a bit flat tbh. Have you got the sport diff too?

I've just spent 20 mins going through the Android tablet and Audi MMI and can't see a menu for sport diff or drive select, it was confusing at first, there appear to be 2 systems in use, 2 bluetooths etc, the Android tablet and Audi MMI...

Didn't come with service manual, had a look in boot but no obvious sticker, found a vehicle information code in Audi MMI, is that the right one?

Should be in the spare wheel well I think, I’ll have a look at mine in a bit to see where it is.

Hello and welcome, try the my Audi app it will have the different sections regarding what extras/options were ticked.

Reactions: smurftech and Sandra
Here's a pic:
20220426 163545

Reactions: Shepp, S444AVT and Simon
Welcome to audi-sport.net

I've just spent 20 mins going through the Android tablet and Audi MMI and can't see a menu for sport diff or drive select, it was confusing at first, there appear to be 2 systems in use, 2 bluetooths etc, the Android tablet and Audi MMI...

Didn't come with service manual, had a look in boot but no obvious sticker, found a vehicle information code in Audi MMI, is that the right one?
I fitted an Android/Apple Car Play module that syncs with the MMI as soon as I bought the car. Generally you have functionality of both with some shared buttons…. For instance if you press the voice recognition button on the steering wheel briefly, the Audi MMI is listening, and if you press and hold the same button ‘hey Siri’ on my iPhone is listening….(or the android equivalent).
If you have any issues with the android/MMI functions I may be able to shed some light.
I have the optional extra rear sports diff on my 2010 S4 Avant, but there is nothing in any menu or any button that tells me this (just the extras list with the car).
Drive select is via 4 separate toggle buttons on the central dash comfort/auto/dynamic/individual just above heater controls. We have the same year/model so guess you’d have found these straight away if the option was fitted…
Hope you enjoy your S4. In my 4 months of ownership I’ve not lost the desire to drive it all of the time…. I keep pouring milk down the sink so I have an excuse to nip to the shops every day

• Haha
Reactions: smurftech and voorhees
This is the interior showing the tablet interface, still waiting for my proper valet appt....
20220428 135306

I'm considering a change to a nicer leather gearknob.
I'm also wondering what reversing info I should get as when I put car in reverse I get one beep but no display on dash or tablet, the car has reversing sensors on the bumper so not sure what's up there...
Settling in well, I have been tempted to floor it in lower gears a couple of times and it just takes off proper hooligan style, can't say i've had a car like this before. I had an impreza turbo PPP (sonic blue ofc) many years ago and that was quick but this feels quicker, and a million times more refined and better built etc.

The perforated rs4 style leather gear knob and gaiter will be around the £470 mark from Audi !!
As for the reversing senors, it doesn't look like the top spec Audi MMI is installed in your S4. The A4 I have was a special ed' and did come with it so on mine I get the full range of beeps along with the picture of the car and the marks showing just how close I am to something. So there may not be something wrong with yours...i stand to be corrected though by someone more knowledgeable!

I got the VIN and installed MyAudi app, pretty standard S4 with these as optional equipment:

Acoustic Parking Control
Cruise Control
2 year warranty extension
Audi Music Interface (AMI)
Symphony Radio
Mobile telephone prep - bluetooth interface
Storage Pack
Reversible load mat
Heated front seats
Milano Leather

I thought some of the above list were standard on S4 but app says these were options.

The app is a good way to find out the build options.

Anyone got a RS4 B8 type black grill from ebay etc?

How's the quality on those compared to an Audi original?

I have literally just done mine today!!
I used this step by step guide from this forum:

I bought a good quality non-OEM gloss black RS style grill from ‘Car Things’ (£149)

and happy with the results. NB. I also bought some ‘Hammerite Black’ to paint the silver crash bar as this grill does not have a crash bar ‘cover’.
Photos from today. Before/during/after….

Attachments

• 919A1BFD-A37B-4A4A-8D9A-AE95680F6EBB.jpeg
    919A1BFD-A37B-4A4A-8D9A-AE95680F6EBB.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 96
  • 7E84D8EE-F4D4-400B-9C4F-ED0298805F44.jpeg
    7E84D8EE-F4D4-400B-9C4F-ED0298805F44.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
  • 9A690103-6BC0-4109-81A9-14AA73318EC4.jpeg
    9A690103-6BC0-4109-81A9-14AA73318EC4.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 85
  • 2F880685-8786-409A-BDCA-AF103D2F0268.jpeg
    2F880685-8786-409A-BDCA-AF103D2F0268.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 91

I bought a good quality non-OEM gloss black RS style grill from ‘Car Things’ (£149)

and happy with the results. NB. I also bought some ‘Hammerite Black’ to paint the silver crash bar as this grill does not have a crash bar ‘cover’.
Good work, worth the effort :icon thumright:

That looks spot on, gonna take the plunge and go ahead with that as my first car mod....just need to check what parking sensors I do (or don't) have as currently not working...!

Good work, worth the effort :icon thumright:
Thanks, my RS honeycomb fog light grill surrounds arrived today as well…. They came with chrome bezels around the fog-lights but can swap out for the black bezels from the originals to keep the stealth look….
Oh and my favourite mod for ANY car arrived this week too…..a brand new steering wheel. The best £300 you can spend… untouched by others, new leather/alacantra, all OEM platform - so plug-n-play for the paddles/controls etc….but updated flat-bottomed with custom colour stitching and ‘12 o’clock’ band.. Something you see and feel every day you get in the car, so we’ll worth the dollar….

Attachments

• 1F356B0C-13B4-4593-8F11-EF91EF7E5340.jpeg
    1F356B0C-13B4-4593-8F11-EF91EF7E5340.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 71
First on the list, tidy up the little scratches and tiny dents, paintwork correction, get it back to mint condition - love this colour, I have waited 2 years to get this exact spec, Avant, Sprint Blue, Manual.
Thanks, my RS honeycomb fog light grill surrounds arrived today as well…. They came with chrome bezels around the fog-lights but can swap out for the black bezels from the originals to keep the stealth look….
Oh and my favourite mod for ANY car arrived this week too…..a brand new steering wheel. The best £300 you can spend… untouched by others, new leather/alacantra, all OEM platform - so plug-n-play for the paddles/controls etc….but updated flat-bottomed with custom colour stitching and ‘12 o’clock’ band.. Something you see and feel every day you get in the car, so we’ll worth the dollar….
Nice, something with round airbags just give a more updated feel and look.
Got myself a RS3 wheel to go in.

Well, all the plans for grill, paint fixing etc went out the window, went and picked up some 19" audi segment wheels and tyres!
20220517 170637

Reactions: S444AVT and Simon
That wheel looks mint, got a link for where you got it from?

That wheel looks mint, got a link for where you got it from?

They are called Brothers Custom Steering Wheels… on eBay or get in touch via mobile/Facebook for a quote.
He is Polish, based in Stoke. He fitted all of mine for the same price…
My S4, then my MK1 TT and now my wife’s Freelander 2…. I’ve took a screen shot of their FB page too….

Attachments

• 7D20CD61-B7A2-4BD5-8808-2CE654ED5728.jpeg
    7D20CD61-B7A2-4BD5-8808-2CE654ED5728.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 68
  • D992FD8F-DB94-441F-9D6E-3A8AB78981D7.jpeg
    D992FD8F-DB94-441F-9D6E-3A8AB78981D7.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 65
  • 94EFBE18-E53B-42E7-874B-FB6096221CFA.png
    94EFBE18-E53B-42E7-874B-FB6096221CFA.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 66
They are called Brothers Custom Steering Wheels… on eBay or get in touch via mobile/Facebook for a quote.
He is Polish, based in Stoke. He fitted all of mine for the same price…
My S4, then my MK1 TT and now my wife’s Freelander 2…. I’ve took a screen shot of their FB page too….
Excellent, just what I wanted, cheers!

Excellent, just what I wanted, cheers!
No worries at all.
I rumbled through Rossendale last Thursday on way to a meeting in Burnley. Kept my eyes peeled for a blue S4.!! Hope you’re enjoying ownership as much as I am.

Finally got around to installing a black honeycomb grill.....started well with top screws and wheel arch bolts and then everything went to hell with 2 rusted T20 screws underneath that were so rusted they wore round, tried screw extractors, no good, jacked car up to try drilling em out - plastic started to melt...2 hours later I eventually used dremel to cut a groove and get them out with a flat screwdriver!
Turned a 2 to 3 hour job into a 5 to 6 hour job!

Also got a million leaves out from bottom of grill floorpan!

Here's pic, went with silver audi logo, can't find a way of re-using S4 badge yet...

View attachment 255033

Finally got around to installing a black honeycomb grill.....started well with top screws and wheel arch bolts and then everything went to hell with 2 rusted T20 screws underneath that were so rusted they wore round, tried screw extractors, no good, jacked car up to try drilling em out - plastic started to melt...2 hours later I eventually used dremel to cut a groove and get them out with a flat screwdriver!

Here's pic, went with silver audi logo, can't find a way of re-using S4 badge yet...

View attachment 255033
The photo link doesn’t work unfortunately, ….hope you’re pleased with the result. It’s a ****** when a couple of screws cost you as many hours. I’ve been there before!!

I’ve gone gloss black on all rings/badge as the car had the black trim pack to start with…..just waiting on the grill and rear badges to arrive today.

Also bought primer, paint and laquer to do the rear bumper valance. I can’t find anything that I like/to fit, so I’m going to attempt going from grey to gloss black on the standard one.
Then if it I it up then I’ll be forced to make a decision

All the leaves and crap came through this gap at bottom of grill, is there no mesh or other option to cover this up a bit....?
Bottomlip

I might do a diy job with some black mesh and a quattro badge down there....

I fitted an Android/Apple Car Play module that syncs with the MMI as soon as I bought the car. Generally you have functionality of both with some shared buttons…. For instance if you press the voice recognition button on the steering wheel briefly, the Audi MMI is listening, and if you press and hold the same button ‘hey Siri’ on my iPhone is listening….(or the android equivalent).
If you have any issues with the android/MMI functions I may be able to shed some light.

Hey again, quick question, do you get a display anywhere when you engage reverse, anything on your android tablet? Still just getting a long beep with mine annd no display of anything anywhere, android tablet is set to "Audi OEM" in reversing setup...

Hey again, quick question, do you get a display anywhere when you engage reverse, anything on your android tablet? Still just getting a long beep with mine annd no display of anything anywhere, android tablet is set to "Audi OEM" in reversing setup...
No camera or Apple CarPlay set up for reversing. When reverse is engaged the Audi MMI overrides the Apple CarPlay connection and cuts off the music/display and the standard car graphic with the proximity indicators on each corner is displayed until manoeuvring is completed. I think the CarPlay/Android brain is wired into the auxiliary MMI for ‘sound’ and the SatNav for ‘display’ but pressing any of the MMI buttons (or engaging reverse) overrides the CarPlay. Looks like yours is a completely different set up

View attachment 255033
Black badges arrived…. Good luck with the lower mesh idea. Strangely I didn’t have any leaf/muck build up when I removed the bumper but that could just be the area/weather the car was mostly driven in by the previous owner of my car….
Oh and weather has halted my idea to spray the bumper valence gloss black, but that could be on the cards for tomorrow

Attachments

• CE57F3EA-C626-4CAC-9913-F48DAE44AEEF.jpeg
    CE57F3EA-C626-4CAC-9913-F48DAE44AEEF.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 59
  • 8B4B7D05-BCA7-4390-BFA1-9A0E6203F06C.jpeg
    8B4B7D05-BCA7-4390-BFA1-9A0E6203F06C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 62
Reactions: quattrogone
Black badges arrived…. Good luck with the lower mesh idea. Strangely I didn’t have any leaf/muck build up when I removed the bumper but that could just be the area/weather the car was mostly driven in by the previous owner of my car….
Oh and weather has halted my idea to spray the bumper valence gloss black, but that could be on the cards for tomorrow
Went ‘all in’ on the ECS rear diffuser developed for the saloon but fits perfectly on the Avant

Attachments

• 560179C4-B1D4-46D6-9E31-9DEFD154EECC.jpeg
    560179C4-B1D4-46D6-9E31-9DEFD154EECC.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 9D47D502-2C98-4F45-A769-B084A108A932.jpeg
    9D47D502-2C98-4F45-A769-B084A108A932.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 59
  • 81191C83-65EE-44CD-93EF-42F78041A75E.jpeg
    81191C83-65EE-44CD-93EF-42F78041A75E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 54