Just drove a new Golf R32

touring50

Reaction score
Just had a go in a new Golf R32 with DSG.

Sounds fantastic with barking exhuasts etc but have to say doesn't feel that much quicker than my A3 170 tdi.
Had a play down a few country lanes and the R32 couldn't pull away
too far, and my friend driving the R32 is a pretty quick driver . The R32 had better traction from pull away (4 wheel drive) but once moving the torque of the diesel really made itself felt. We were both surprised and impressed by the A3.
Golf felt pretty good though and you cannot beat the sound of those twin exausts. Trip meter didnt look to good 15mpg against 32 mpg (a3) during play time.
Interior wise the Golf had the Recaro leather upgrade which is very nice but rest of interior not as good as Audi . I would say the S3 is going to be a really nice car and worth buying over the R32.
Diesel is still best though in everyday driving:arco:

Really find this hard to believe.. Driven an R32 DSG and fail to see, torque or no torque, how 80 bhp more means a car cannot pull away!!!!!

I agree Golf is obviously faster , but have a go,, in everyday driving between 40 and 80 the difference isnt that great, To get the most out of the Golf you have to keep the engine at higher revs for more of the time (no bad thing with that sound).

Has anyone else driven both cars

driven an A3 3.2Q, which is basically the same. In a straight line through the gears its as fast as revo'd S3. The 170tdi may hang on to it for 5sec's max in gear but as some as the R32 changes up the 170tdi will dissappear very fast in the rear view. Round town driving the tdi does feel muscular but doesn't pile on speed after the intial squirt like a 3.2

Yep the derv will sooner run out of revs and the weight of the engine will send you through the nearest hedge.

One road does not express a cars true performance / capabilities

my m8 has a new r32, he couldnt get away from me till about 130 (that was when i had my a4 1.8t sport) tuned ofcource

raymie said:
my m8 has a new r32, he couldnt get away from me till about 130 (that was when i had my a4 1.8t sport) tuned ofcource

Then you woke up and had your cornflakes ;-) . 3.2 is a fantastic engine, wasted on a soggy chassis. Torque from tickover to redline, lacks the punch of a blown engine but....great, great motor.

An A3 3.2 Q as fast as a revo'd S3?
Really???? A revo'd S3 is lighter, has more power and more torque.
I wouldn't know from experience, but I find that a surprise!
My S3 is standard and has hung on the tail of many a 3.2 Q, so a revo'd example should pull away!
My opinion thats all!

leecs3 said:
Then you woke up and had your cornflakes ;-) . 3.2 is a fantastic engine, wasted on a soggy chassis. Torque from tickover to redline, lacks the punch of a blown engine but....great, great motor.

wat would u know u werent there! even he couldnt believe it

jamiekip said:
An A3 3.2 Q as fast as a revo'd S3?
Really???? A revo'd S3 is lighter, has more power and more torque.
I wouldn't know from experience, but I find that a surprise!
My S3 is standard and has hung on the tail of many a 3.2 Q, so a revo'd example should pull away!
My opinion thats all!

true. I was happy about it, they do put out more that the stated 247bhp and the 95kg weight avantage is worthless on a rolling start at 40mph.

raymie said:
wat would u know u werent there! even he couldnt believe it

keep digging, lol. Its easier to follow than lead when you race, you were pushing alot harder because you can watch to see if he's getting messy. He was probably driving with alot more caution.

LOL...gotta love these my car is faster than your's stories.

Gentlemen if you feel the need to have a "my **** is bigger than yours" competition take it off line. ;)

Thank you.

J.

leecs3 said:
keep digging, lol. Its easier to follow than lead when you race, you were pushing alot harder because you can watch to see if he's getting messy. He was probably driving with alot more caution.

:blahblah1: :blahblah1:

marriedblonde said:
LOL...gotta love these my car is faster than your's stories.

Who's saying their car is faster than others :uhm:

all i said was i kept up with my m8 then he was off, then u get a muppet like leecs3 trying to wind it all up, so i will let him blab on :blahblah1: :haha:

Performance is nice,but when it comes to horrendous fuel consumption like 15mpg,I find it all getting a bit distasteful.
Maybe I'm just growing up (leave my 30's in January...),but I do feel a growing responsibility towards the environment,so I try and balance performance with fuel consumption.
Thankfully,there are now plenty of cars out there that can go fast enough without ridiculous fuel consumption.
Quietly too,without chavvy exhausts like dustbins...

Sorry Raymie, but if your cars represenative of you & that's a tad 'max power' theirs no more to be said is there

Altogether now...

RRRRRRRRRRR....twittertwittertwitter.......RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..........twittertwittertwitter....RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Repeat until petrol station.

Although I'm just jesting,I don't half hate Subarus with loud exhausts...
Karma will get them though.
It might not be today,it might not be tomorrow, but one day they will be sitting in their house,having just put the kids to bed,and some knobber will RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR past their house,rattling the windows ......and they will hate that person forever...

;-)

bowfer said:
It might not be today,it might not be tomorrow, but one day they will be sitting in their house,having just put the kids to bed,and some knobber will RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR past their house,rattling the windows ......and they will hate that person forever...

;-)

:gaehn:

dont see any golf R32's, isnt that what this tread is about :think: :p

bowfer said:
Altogether now...

RRRRRRRRRRR....twittertwittertwitter.......RRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..........twittertwittertwitter.... RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Repeat until petrol station

;-)

:eiertritt: what has this post got to do with subaru's???????? think u r obsessed

bowfer said:

;-)

Have to say your last post did make me laugh, but I agree with your above point, we have a neigbour who has just got a seriously tuned WRX who lives across the road, with an enormous exhaust, which I thought was fine, until he started going to work at 4am every morning, waking me up with the tractor like exhaust sounds. Tempted to go and stuff a mellon up it !!

:banghead:

what does this post have to do with subaru's??????????????? come on here!!!!! R32's not SUBARU'S start a new thread if it makes u lot happy :banghead: :shrug:

I think the R32 and Subaru,in general,attract the same 'sort' of driver,so it does have some relevance.
The type of driver that 'wants everyone to know he's around',putting it as politely as I can...

bowfer said:
I think the R32 and Subaru,in general,attract the same 'sort' of driver,so it does have some relevance.
The type of driver that 'wants everyone to know he's around',putting it as politely as I can...

give up m8 ur becoming really boaring :gaehn:

bowfer said:

Don't be so ****** stereotypical.