just hit curb and taken chunk out of tyre..

Jordan427

Reaction score
Is this safe/legal? I dont think its too bad but might be wrong. ****** new tyre as well!!

Attachments

• 20150605_193041.jpg
    20150605_193041.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 418
Tyres are cheaper than an alloy refurb, the wheel looks shagged as well:sadlike:

Where are you getting tyres for £50?

Must be proper 'ditch finders' lol

I wasn't aware an alloy refurb only cost £50, if that's the case then cheaper than I thought.

Whatever it costs, the alloy is still f@@ked.

Tyres are also cheaper than a blow out on the motorway or when pushing it round a corner!

My wife done a similar thing. The tyre looked ok but I wasn't going to risk it. ****** annoying and costly but If anything happened you'd never forgive yourself.

Just been to the garage and was told it's okay, it's only about 2mm deep so nothing to worry about. The alloy is a bit of a mess, but whatever, it was already quite curbed!

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist
This part of the tyre exists to protect the alloy rim from light curbing. It is a sacrificial design though you seem to have sacrificed quite a bit!
Personally I'd change it for peace of mind.

Personally I would get that sorted, what you can't see is the possible internal damage to the tyre carcass, as said above the actual part by the rim is a rim protector and is quite thick rubber. Unfortunately it can only do so much .
The MOT testers handbook here gives you an idea of what they consider OK.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

A tyre has a cut the length of which is in excess of 25 mm or 10% of section width, whichever is greater, deep enough to reach the ply or cords

A tyre has a lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure. This includes any lifting of the tread rubber

So it seems if you can see the cords it would be a failure.

Karl.