Just set up Torque Pro with Elm327 bluetooth adaptor, with vid + pic

ColganRaz

Reaction score
For anyone unaware of what Torque Pro is, it is an application available on Android handsets, which connects with your vehicles ECU via a bluetooth adapter. This gives you masses of information and also allows you to run diagnostics on your vehicle and clear fault codes, and also gives you plug ins such as the 'Track Recorder' which I have shot a video for. anyways heres the link to see about the app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

sound expensive? £2.95 for the app and £9.99 for a cheap adaptor off ebay, i cannot explain how much value for money this piece of kit is! considering it will cost more than that just for a garage to plug their diagnostic tool in your car. I am in no way associated with the application, just a very happy customer :p

heres some screens;

Screenshot_2012-11-03-12-23-11.png

Screenshot_2012-11-01-17-04-42.png

these screens was from when i first used the app, i have sinced added loads more dials and changed all the units to mph/litres/torque

I dont fully know how accurate the bhp and torque readings are, as my 1.9 tdi a3 is reading at around 100-110 max wheel horse power with the app, and im pretty certain the car is not remapped, however when tested on my friends astra, the bhp reading was abloutely near bang on using WBHP converter!

heres a vid, sorry for the resolution, it was shot on samsung galaxy s3, however i had the quality on really low unknowingly and it lost further quality when i encoded the video, anyways click the pic of the video it will direct you to photobucket and play the vid, any Q's feel free to ask and i might tell you :p

Reactions: articuno88
not 100% sure but i dont think so, Apple devices dont seem to be compatible with anything, and not much opportunity for developers to release this kind of thing onto the apple store

Any idea how its working out BHP?

If its just pulling the info from the cars ECU, surely plugging in VCDS would give you a reading too?

yh plugging into vcds will but it won't record the video as this app does.
i have the go point bt1 in my car and it does read the data from the cars ODB port and display it on the iphone but its much more money, i also havent found an app that can record video at the same time as this does... may need to get searching now.

this app is still in development aswell, so more to come and new features always being added, the value for money is crazy. You cant fully appreciate the app without actually using it yourself and seeing all the information it provides and the features it has. I would recommend it to anyone who likes their tech and car data

For anyone unaware of what Torque Pro is, it is an application available on Android handsets, which connects with your vehicles ECU via a bluetooth adapter. This gives you masses of information and also allows you to run diagnostics on your vehicle and clear fault codes, and also gives you plug ins such as the 'Track Recorder' which I have shot a video for. anyways heres the link to see about the app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

sound expensive? £2.95 for the app and £9.99 for a cheap adaptor off ebay, i cannot explain how much value for money this piece of kit is! considering it will cost more than that just for a garage to plug their diagnostic tool in your car. I am in no way associated with the application, just a very happy customer :p

heres some screens;

Screenshot_2012-11-03-12-23-11.png

Screenshot_2012-11-01-17-04-42.png

these screens was from when i first used the app, i have sinced added loads more dials and changed all the units to mph/litres/torque

I dont fully know how accurate the bhp and torque readings are, as my 1.9 tdi a3 is reading at around 100-110 max wheel horse power with the app, and im pretty certain the car is not remapped, however when tested on my friends astra, the bhp reading was abloutely near bang on using WBHP converter!

heres a vid, sorry for the resolution, it was shot on samsung galaxy s3, however i had the quality on really low unknowingly and it lost further quality when i encoded the video, anyways click the pic of the video it will direct you to photobucket and play the vid, any Q's feel free to ask and i might tell you :p

hey mate i have this long time now, and i love it as you can get so much informations and do the logs. too bad that it doesn't show the oil temperature.
are you sure that those figures are at the wheels? as when i did i was getting way lower figures then they should be (power and torque)?

Have you got a link to the Bluetooth adaptor for this - Bare in mind it's to work with my astra VXR until I get the Audi sometime in the future

Ta!

S. - yeah its a shame oil temp doesnt work neither does the transmission temp, but works on some other cars! And im positive its wheel horse power, hence why it gives you a lower reading as the you lose BHP through transmission loss, i will link you a guestimator piece of kit to test your bhp as im interested to see if you have an accurate reading!

Gnashervxr, here is the link to the exact adapter i bought

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271077448635

S. - yeah its a shame oil temp doesnt work neither does the transmission temp, but works on some other cars! And im positive its wheel horse power, hence why it gives you a lower reading as the you lose BHP through transmission loss, i will link you a guestimator piece of kit to test your bhp as im interested to see if you have an accurate reading!

Gnashervxr, here is the link to the exact adapter i bought

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271077448635

Ta, just bought that one (I bought it after seeing your post but before replying). Already got the free version of torque on the phone (Galaxy S2) so we'll see what it's like on the VXR when it gets here!!

Last edited:
S. - please can you put the max bhp reading you got from torque pro into this calculator?

Wheel Horsepower to Crankshaft Horsepower Guestimator

Obviously just tick the boxes that apply, please can you msg back on here or pm me the results as im really interested to see :p
just went through the logs and found that max bhp reading was 280.1 at the wheels and calculator gives 345bhp at the crank. but i don't know exact figures as i never did a dyno run.

Out of interest what mount are you using with your Galaxy S3? I've got a few and none seems to be stable enough for Torque to work right :(

well i would say anything between 340bhp and 380bhp.

Wow, thats over 3x the power of my car lol...

I spose you couldnt say the app is accurate without doing some dyno runs, but its safe to say it can give a very rough estimate

No iPhone app for this?

The iPhone app is called dash command or rev if you go to the app store and search for obd you will get a few apps for these obd scanners. I bought the elm327 wifi scanner and I am using dash command(iPhone jail broken)

Yes be sure to buy a wifi scanner if using iPhone. It seems Apple charge developers to use Bluetooth architecture. .
I personally bought Android Torque app used in combination with a bluetooth £8 elm327 scanner off a Hongkong seller on ebay.
Works great on the Samsung Galaxy S3 phone.

In my last car, I installed a mechanical boost gauge with electronic sensor. The gauge alone cost about £50, then there was the 1.5 hr install time. No doubt insurance company would class this as a mod. Even compared to VCDS to monitor settings, Torque is much less painless, seemless and quicker to in/uninstall. Well worth the money.:beerchug:

Yeah i have also heard that apple bluetooth aint compatible with devices and applications need specific bluetooth programming.

another thing i found its useful for is the instant MPG, my car has the digital display on the dash but takes ages to refresh, where as the one on torque is actually instant

Just been using this on a A5 2.0TFSI, was'nt expecting it to work on a VAG as had used it before on Subaru etc... but seems to read all the usual parameters such as fuel pressure, boost, rpm, speed, maf etc..etc....
Was watching fuel rail pressure to see if I'm low.

Can one of you guy's report back what yours reads at idle, 2000rpm and wide open throttle....cheers

I am currently using this application - along with the Track Recorder.

However I have a query - where are the Track Videos on my mobile device as I cannot find/delete them and I'm running out of storage?

Thanks

I have two of the elm327, previous one came from my ford mondeo which didnt work so i bought a newer one and that wouldnt work with my 2010 A3 either and I have the paid version of torque pro, so not all will work

be careful and read the description if it's compatible with your car. mine (the older one) works on all cars i've plugged it in, my friend's (newer one) doesn't work on most cars. it looks absolutely the same.

If anyone has a ELM327 that's working on a 2010 A3 please share the model and version so I can buy it, the lastest one I bought did say it would work with newer audi's but like I said it wouldnt work on mine, Torque pro is a very useful app and I miss using it

FYI: this just arrived, and works fine on my 2006 A3 TDI : Link
Note - I tested on with my Nexus 7 tablet (running Android 4.4.2).

What settings do people have the car settings at?