Just Test Drove a M3

Austineer

King of cabs ;)
Reaction score
Guys,

After ages of reading reviews and admiring them from a far I thought sod it I am going to see what they are like to drive. So onto the car:-

£25,000's worth of 2002 black BMW M3, Manual 18" rims, black leather.

Looks:-

External - as I expected because I have seen quite alot of these before from the outside.

Internal - great M logos on door sils, nice front & rear seats. Though must say dashboard was very plain and nothing special. Nice look on the inside door pannels which was a mixture of leather.

Practicality:-

Seating - Even though only 2 door coupe the rear seats seemed to have equaly as muh room as the back of mine which was supprising. I got in the back behind the drivers seat after adjusting it for me to drive and there was plently of leg room. N.B. I am 6ft tall.

Lugguage:-

Quite a small boot but still fairly reasonable. No where near as big as mine but on about par with something like a Focus.

Now for the fun bit driving.

Engine/Power/Acceleration:-

This is one seriously fast car I must say. It made mine feel like a 1.6L. The engine roars like you would expect from the sound of a Ferrari. It is truely increadable. You really do seem to get the feeling as though you have unlimited power, and due to it being normally asperated theres no turbo lag, just instant power available and what power it is.

In every gear the car just through you back into the seat with such force its increadable. 1st a waste of time and 2nd & 3rd is just a dream on an open road. However niping in and out of traffic is quite scary as you have so much power and cars just cant get out of your way quick enough.

I thought I give it a bit of stick intill the salesman got in and drove me home. On a small stretch of dual carridge way (approx 2 miles) we went from standstill to about 145 mph in about half of the distance. Wow, wow, wow. Increadabley fast.

Transmittion:-

After driving that, mine feels like sloppy, slow and unresponsive by comparison. The through was short, crisp, and really quick. Very impressive.

Traction:-

I must admit I was quick nervous about the M3 being rear wheel drive with that much power. However the traction was actually pretty good, well in the dry with the traction control on. A little more spin with it off however foot was flat to the floor in every gear.

Even with the rear wheels spinning the car still seemed to pull off like a rocket. Dont know what it would be like in the wet though, but now I must admit I wouldnt be that bothered missing the Quattro system for something like that.

Braking:-

The M3 brakes are just so much better than mine I couldnt put it into words. I thought mine were about par to a standard S3, but BMW has certainly got something special here.

It make you feel so much more comfortable having these great brakes with that much available power. They actually make it that you can use the power and have some real fun whilst knowing that you can brake 30 yards later than you normally do.

Handling:-

First few seconds I wasnt that impressed. The stearing was alot heavier than mine and the car seemed to turn into the corners slower than mine with the rear end giving somekind of wierd feedback as if the tail was comming out. I though ah well they couldnt get everything right, there had to be some negative things.

How wrong was I with my first impressions. It turned out to be me just getting use to the car. Cornering at a relative slower speed mine does turn in quicker. However the more you put your foot down round the corner the more it liked it.

All I can say is wow, wow, wow. This car can take corners so much faster than mine. I didnt realise how much understeer I actually had. If I took the same corners at the same speed in mine i would have just gone straight on and into a hedge.

You can whip that rear end out and fling yourself out of a corner like you have been propelled out of a catapult. The faster the better. The car just seems to have an amazing ability to correct itself.

The icing on the cake was when the salesman drove it back. He did things with that car that i would never dream of trying or even think any car could actually acheive. Fair due, he was a great driver. But F**k me I just couldnt believe how he could take a corner so quickly with the rear end comming out so much and have the car straigten itself back up. Really impressive.

To summarise:-

I am toying with getting a M3 or S4 for my next car prob in about 18 months time. So the two in the running for me was either the S4 or M3. Now after driving that I need a trip in the V8 S4. Only thing is that the S4 needs to be seriously impressive to match the M3. Only things is from the reviews I have read it prob wouldnt.

When they say the M3 is a real drivers car I can see exactly what they mean. It is certainly a bit of a challange to push it to its limits, and oh what fun you would have trying. Only thing is the mrs would have to drive it to work and as she has only started driving I am worried that it would be too much of a wild beast for her to tame. Anyway hope you have enjoyed my review and any thoughts on it would be appreciated. Next its the V8 S4 so will do another on the comparrison.

P.S. just go and drive one guys, just just have to.

Sounds excellent! Great review ....cant wait for the S4 one! Why don't you test drive the new RS4 just for the sake of it too...that would make for a better comparison with the M3 wouldn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

Well,

If they will let me take a RS4 out for a spin I will. However I get the impression many dealers dont like to give a 27 year old a test drive for any car worth £40k + as they probably think they couldnt afford it.

Even taking the M3 out he gave me a serious up and down before giving me the keys and that was only for a £25k motor.

Be cool if you did ...anyway if they ask what you do tell them you work as a trader on the stock exchange....that will soon shut them up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

A mate has one of these,fast no doubt ,lost it coming out of a corner when he reckons the traction control didn't work and it cost him 8k in suspension,wheels etc.BMW customer service was awful.When he got it back after 3 months a wheel bearing was knackered.I can keep up with him in my s3 and have a better top end.

[ QUOTE ]
I can keep up with him in my s3 and have a better top end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryanc,

Have you got a seriously modded S3 then? I dont know if you read my previous test drive review, it was on a S3 and I thought the S3 wasnt any quicker than mine. So if yours is standard or even just chipped I would say your mates got a serious problem with his M3 as they would destroy a S3 chipped or not. They are not much heavier than the S3 50-80 kgs and have 118 bhp more (343 - 225) than a standard S3 and 83 bhp (343 - 260) more than a chipped S3. That combined with the fact that the rear wheel drive of the M3 will have lower transmition losses I just cant believe your statement unless he has a problem with his.

tdi,it's looks fairly standard other than the FMIC.
fmic1.jpg

oh and the exhaust,i'll have to do some more pics.

[ QUOTE ]
my s3 has over 350bhp

[/ QUOTE ]

Better change your signature then

Last dyno Run was 335bhp ,i was a bit too optimistic.

Very impressive figures though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

@ welshdragon, I think you'll be disappointed with the S4. Went to a Audi drive day last week and drove the new S4. V6 TT behind me, and I couldn't shake it. And I was giving it the death ! Swapped round and the S4 couldn't get away from me in the TT.
Go for the M3 if I were you . Or Ryans S3 of course !

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
@ welshdragon, I think you'll be disappointed with the S4. Went to a Audi drive day last week and drove the new S4. V6 TT behind me, and I couldn't shake it. And I was giving it the death ! Swapped round and the S4 couldn't get away from me in the TT.
Go for the M3 if I were you . Or Ryans S3 of course !

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you didnt think much of the S4 then eh. When you say you couldnt shake the TT was that on the straight or in the twisties? Also how did the S4 compare to your S3? I have driven a standard S3 and didnt think it was any quicker than mine really. Also you ever driven a E46 M3?

It would have been interesting to see a M3 against the Caddy on Topgear. The S4 seemed to do alright in the braking but did understeer a little into the corners.

They should have done the caddy around the track on a dry lap would have been a fair bit quicker i think.

My S3 is chipped and TBH the S4 didn't feel quicker. It wason the straights and twisty bits.
No, I haven't driven an M3 yet but a mate has one and regularly blows me into the weeds. Really is a lot quicker than a mapped S3.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
A mate has one of these,fast no doubt ,lost it coming out of a corner when he reckons the traction control didn't work and it cost him 8k in suspension,wheels etc.BMW customer service was awful.When he got it back after 3 months a wheel bearing was knackered.I can keep up with him in my s3 and have a better top end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard the same thing about customer care from BMW. A mate of mine went to have a steering problem sorted, when he got it back the problem was still there but an engine guard from under the car was missing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
He has had dealings with several different dealers and they were all dissapionting, arrogance and ignorance by the bucketload and only interested in selling a new car instead of taking care of the one he bought from them. Sort of a 'it's nice and shiny sir, but don't ask me how it works' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
He has also told me that the older BMWs were built to a better standard than the newer ones, his favourite one was an old 3.5litre something 5 series I think it was.
After hearing all this, I thought I would look into taking the Audi route as it put me off even thinking about BMWs, and I think most Mercs are just plain ugly.

Yep,i've heard lots of horror stories about bmw customer services,shame as there a good car.
Most recent remap has got me up to 360bhp,17bhp more than a m3 and 150kg less.

[ QUOTE ]
I think they have worked out that dry laps are only 3 to 4 seconds quicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see Mark Webber thought it was only approx 2 seconds quicker dry rather than wet. An Aussie I know but must know something to be in F1.

As for S4 v M3, M3 was quicker in a straight line which I was a bit disappointed in but on wet round corners I more than made up time and passed M3 on the inside on atrack day whilst he was sideways.

A quick trip to AAS for a 3" S/S Cat back system and the M3 isn't getting away anymore, in fact it's falling away and when it comes to the tricky stuff, well M3's don't look so good from the front when they are in your rear view mirror. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

A new set of ECS disks and I'll be better on corner entry and stability as well. And on a new car list price I can have the exhaust, brakes and remap done to 400bhp and still have change from what it would cost for an M3. Plus, how many S4's do you see compared to M3's? Also V8 soundtrack which is near McMerc standards compared to straight six?

S4 owner rests his case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

Sounds nice bbg but alot of $$$$ for that to happen but hey if you have the money go for it ..i know i would! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I thought it would be pretty expensive as well until I started checking prices out.

The cat back exhaust I had fitted was just over £400 inc. VAT, ECS OE disks rather than big brake kit are around £600-£800 front and back and take a Saturday to fit with the right tools, and AMD aren't charging too much for stage 1 remap, although not likely to do that until the warranty expires along with replcaing the cats with a high flow system.

The reality is that if bought new or second hand an M3 of same age and mileage will cost around £3-4K more which covers the cost with change and makes for IMO a more usable car day to day with equal track day appeal and better exclusivity.

Mind you if I had the money and no partner I'd be straight down to AMD to have the Stage II supercharger coversion to 650+ bhp............ where's that lottery ticket???

Why not go for a rs4 or rs6 instead of a s4?

Would love a new B7 RS4 and seriously did think about an RS6, the latter being my preferred opiton over a B5 RS4. However combination of finance and cost of insurance made me look at S4. RS6 saloon I've never been a fan of becaise of the A6 rear end and I don't need an Avant as yet, so S4 saloon was the one to plump for.