Facelift Just tried to fit a dashcam and...

gringosteve

Reaction score
...Cracked my windscreen trying to push the cable between the A pillar and glass. Took hardly any pressure pushing the cable. Gutted :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

...Cracked my windscreen trying to push the cable between the A pillar and glass. Took hardly any pressure pushing the cable. Gutted :(

Wowsers - that’s strange. Was there any kind of stone chip damage which had weakened the screen initially do you think?

Reactions: gringosteve
No damage at all. The cable was a little thick and I pushed with a plastic tool. I didn’t want to run the cable along the rubber seal because of the air bag curtains

Having fitted a few now using the plastic tool and running the cable along the top of windscreen and down the pillar thankfully touch wood never had this issue.

Hopefully you’ll get the new screen sorted without any issues just remember if you have cameras etc fitted in the windscreen make sure you tell them

Having fitted a few now using the plastic tool and running the cable along the top of windscreen and down the pillar thankfully touch wood never had this issue.

Hopefully you’ll get the new screen sorted without any issues just remember if you have cameras etc fitted in the windscreen make sure you tell them

I wish I had a camera fitted to the screen

WOW
I had to really push my cable into the Audi as the room was a bit tight, but never had this happen.
In my old golf, there was lots of room, but not in the Audi, the spaces are very tight.

At least you have a brand new Windscreen coming Ha Ha

WOW
I had to really push my cable into the Audi as the room was a bit tight, but never had this happen.
In my old golf, there was lots of room, but not in the Audi, the spaces are very tight.

At least you have a brand new Windscreen coming Ha Ha

I was using a braided usb cable so think it had some friction to overcome. It’s only a 2.5 year old car so it wasn’t massively in need of new glass :)

I was using a braided usb cable so think it had some friction to overcome. It’s only a 2.5 year old car so it wasn’t massively in need of new glass :)

That sucks dude.
That's a first, did not think front screens did that with such low pressure.

Windscreens are reinforced on the outside I believe so it’s actually pretty easy to crack one when working from the inside, especially if the glass is cold. This is why I remove trim as opposed to try and “tuck” cables under.

Windscreens are reinforced on the outside I believe so it’s actually pretty easy to crack one when working from the inside, especially if the glass is cold. This is why I remove trim as opposed to try and “tuck” cables under.

I have learnt a costly lesson then :) how easy is it to remove the A pillar trim inside?

I have learnt a costly lesson then :) how easy is it to remove the A pillar trim inside?

Pretty easy to be honest, but then so have been doing 2 to 3 of these a week for as long as I can remember :)

all the VW group stuff is more or less the same, held in place with clips and sometimes a screw / bolt.

How could you crack it?? u been using metal screwdriver right? aaah well always use plastic prying tools..
Call insurance it happened while u been driving u should have coverage... sort off

Reactions: NHN
It's cracked due to using the plastic tool against the edge of the glass which is a weaker point to apply pressure, unfortunate, but as said always remove the trims to fit any cables, never this path.

Screen cover will replace, it was a rather large stone that clipped up of the road wasn't it ;)

Massive rock ;)

It’s growing nicely today
2f741248d0229cc570e101f52703ba90.plist

Reactions: NHN
How could you crack it?? u been using metal screwdriver right? aaah well always use plastic prying tools..
Call insurance it happened while u been driving u should have coverage... sort off

I used plastic tools for phone repair. No metal involved

Wow that truck must have run over that boulder at speed to cause that crack.

Reactions: 8YARWY and gringosteve
Unfortunately it’s by design the windscreen easily breaks outwards than inwards. It’s so if you were in an accident you can get out easier.
Remember a while back my son was getting in/out car and slipped and caught his balance on the windscreen and it cracked. my fault for letting him sit in the front. Luckily it was the wife’s car :wink: really didn’t take much to crack it from inside considering the boulders that some lorry chuck up at the car from the outside at motorway speeds I’ve had in the past.

That's the problem with Audi, the trim parts fit too well :) Other makes you can pull the trim back and get your hand in!