K&N filter

I

imported_velcrobix

I've just fitted a K&N filter cone to my S3. Obviously, the engine growls a bit more - and the hiss from waste gate seems more noticable. I'm a bit concirned though by a quiet, almost abrasive noise that now occurs when the turbo spools and somtimes when you let off. can anyone help?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

you want to be carefull mate. is it one of the oiled ones. As that type of filter damages the MAF...which we all know is a costly repair.

This is going to sound reaaly dumb - can you explain the MAF?

people call it mass air flow but its actuall name is AIR MASS METER! thats what it says on the box so that is whats its called. he is correct the mass meter can become covered in oil so therefore it cannot read the correct quantity of air to mix with the fuel. the type of filter you should have got is a green stuff induction kit as these are not oiled. however now you have got your k and n it will probably be ok as long as you do NOT oil it up,just leave it as it came from factory.(the k and n)
the noise you are talking about is probably the recirculation valve but hard to be sure of without hearing it!

one other thing about induction kits, is that they can let bigger particles through the filter not bigg enough to make a difference but can cause larger particles to stick to the turbo vanes and cause them to get heavier and therefore get turbo problems.

Thanks for the info mate, i've just taken it off.It was origanaly off my old car and it HAD been oiled. Only had it on 2 days though - not many miles fortunatly.
Going to gat it remapped at AMD soon so may get a green stuff filter.

not really worth changing them then as you will have to change the maf more often then.. performance agaisnt cost..

cheers tony

WTF?? You can't say B*llocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif And here I was trying to fit in. You know, "Wheelie-Bin" and all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

trials indicate it could be purely a myth oiled filters kill the MAF surveys suggest only 1 in 30 Mafs fail on cars with oiled filters, has been blaimed for many years only because it coats the maf in oil a bit generously over time, which of course can be cleaned.

i agree about the panel filter, better filtering, less excess heat from the engine taken in, best bet is to relocate it to front for performance, or for the induction noise go with what these guys know as i've not been a fan of induction kits and hence know little about them.

i had a blitz sus power induction kit on my old car... when you open up the bonnet the stainless steel definately stands out. and give a very throaty noise. but then thats a jap company so i doubt they have anything for audis!

cheers tony

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
You know, "Wheelie-Bin" and all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif Shut the feck up you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
You know, "Wheelie-Bin" and all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif Shut the feck up you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I KNEW you'd catch that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
foolish3uk said:
decide for yourselves but air mass meters are so common it might just be a coinsedence that 1 in 30 meters fail with induction kits on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

If you go easy with the oil there should be no reason why there should be any problems with the MAF related to the filter oiling.....

Do you think the noise i mentioned at the start sounds like it could be serious/expensive?

Yeah, well unfortunately, the exchange price dropped about 2 months AFTER I bought one for €290 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

But it just goes to show ya how y'all UK'ers get DICKED on part prices /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif