Keep fit/self defence

silver_vw

Reaction score
Does anyone do any kind of self defence? If so, what and what grade are you?

I did jakado kickboxing, only got to 2nd grade. It was mainly to keep fit. The exercises were intense.
But then parenthood took over my life so now I just cycle.

Few of me and my friends have started Muay Thai, that's intense and you get in the ring sparring really quickly it's good, I also go to football training Wednesdays and play sat/sun when I can and go to the gym as often as I can but I usually just do weights at the gym. Never been a fan of cycling wish I was.

I never get a lot of time to get to the gym so I bought some kettlebells, which are awesome for fitness and strength - lots of YT videos. Other than that DH mountain biking is something I'm getting back into after a long break.

Before that, I used to do Aikido for fitness which is oddly very good. Getting thrown around like a rag doll does get your fitness up, surprisingly. That said, Muay Thai is supposed to be the very best/coolest/on trend thing to do for fitness.

Re: Muay Thai, what age can you start? I could get my lads into it.
Cycling is ok (can't go mad with the kids trailing behind)

My friend had kettle bells. His strength increased and he lost a lot of weight surprisingly quick.

My friend had kettle bells. His strength increased and he lost a lot of weight surprisingly quick.

Not surprising really, give them a whirl and you'll see from just front swings that it uses nearly every muscle in your body and you're out of breath quick. It's a full-on work out.

I might just get one for xmas. Need to lose the weight after eating all the turkey and left overs!

I was black belt in judo and green belt in jujitsu. As I've got older I seem to bruise easier and 4 evenings a week started to take its toll. Time also became a factor, so now I'm fat wondering what to do now. I'll have to take a look at the kettle bells.

I do lots and lots of cycling - my commute is 40 miles a day.
I also do circuits and boxercise. I really enjoy the latter as doing so much cycling my upper body has been weak, but over the past couple of years I've improved my upper body strength considerably. Also, whilst I don't intend to get into any fights, it's handy knowing how to throw a proper punch / and dodge one properly just in case :box:

I was black belt in judo and green belt in jujitsu. As I've got older I seem to bruise easier and 4 evenings a week started to take its toll. Time also became a factor, so now I'm fat wondering what to do now. I'll have to take a look at the kettle bells.

Lol I know what you mean. And as soon as I think yeh I'll start a new exercise something always diverts my good intentions and then fitness is put on the back burner again.

I do lots and lots of cycling - my commute is 40 miles a day.
I also do circuits and boxercise. I really enjoy the latter as doing so much cycling my upper body has been weak, but over the past couple of years I've improved my upper body strength considerably. Also, whilst I don't intend to get into any fights, it's handy knowing how to throw a proper punch / and dodge one properly just in case :box:

That's a lot of training. I'm not getting any younger so I'd stick to spending time with the kids and exercise with them before I kick the bucket lol.

I use to do quite a bit when I was younger but haven't trained for many, many years now. Wing Chun kung fu was my favourite, not because it was good for self-defence, purely because I enjoyed it so much.

I've recently been looking into starting training again and had a look at Krav Maga, but will probably take up jiu-jitsu as I know one of the trainers.