Keep the S3 or buy something else...

tomturbo

Reaction score
I have been trying to sell my S3 for about a month now on ebay with not much luck. It's a black 2002 BAM engine for £3495 (too high maybe?)

So I am thinking maybe I will just hold onto it for a bit, but the reason I wanted to sell in the first place is because it simply didn't feel 'exciting' to drive. It has Revo software, 80 b5 tip, Forge DV so sounds OK and pulls well, but just quite uninspiring to drive even when pushing on.

My question is should I throw some money at the S3 to bring the power up to around the 300hp mark? Has anyone done this jump from stage 1ish upgrades to 300hp+ and does it transform how the car feels to drive, i.e more exciting?

For 300bhp plus you'll be looking at going hybrid in which case you'll probably spend around the same as you want for the car as it is. or stage 2 and be around 280bhp for a grand or so for 3"dp, exhaust, fmic and remap and it won't necessarily add valve to the car. From stage 1-2 you won't notice a massive difference really all depends how long you want to keep car for and the hybrid route would definitely make a more exciting drive

I don't agree. My car from stage 1 to 2 was massive. The power gains were 20-30 bhp on my car but the torque shot up 40lb ft from 250 to 293. Was an amazing car to drive and I still maintain it was the best fun I've had in my S3! Bill recently mapped a lcr at stage 2 with a b5 manifold and responded really well! Stage2 will satisfy you for some time until you figure out what you really want.

Reactions: SamHendry
Maybe I'm wrong . mines only stage 1 248bhp and 297lb torque and I went out in a lad at work stage 2 S3 it didn't feel massively different but I don't know what his figures were. It might of been on its **** I don't know but It's why I didn't bother going stage 2 tbh and am just waiting till go straight to a hybrid.

Its definately the torque that feels lacking. I,m not too bothered by peak power and prefer the shove from low rpm (please dont suggest a diesel) so maybe I should try stage 2 and see how it goes. I can't sell the S3 anyway, so looks like I'm stuck with it. Will start keeping an eye out for stage 2 bits second hand to save money.

eBay isn't the best place to sell a car, everybody expects a bargain on there, give gumtree a go, at least it's free, you're going to have to spend some big bucks to get a more inspiring drive, M3, AMG, RS4 and the like, a good suspension set up and four wheel alignment can transform the S3 no end, it will make the power you have more useable.

Reactions: snowy
Im in the same boat... Not sure whether i want to spend out for the new AET hybrid, or buy a 335d :/ My S3 is forged and recently rebuilt and i couldnt sell it for 4k.

Can't believe your considering hybrid or 335i I have 135i with jb4 and meth dyno 447hp/396tq beast. Also run 03plate s3, E30 M3 conv and my combo van. If was to ever upgrade s3 BT only need run 400hp+.

I always think this.... I've been looking at s2000's, they look like a hell of a lot of fun.

My brother in law runs a Honda s2000 nice motor but build quality and interior doesn't come close to my s3, the s2000 is for sale let me know if your interested

My brother in law runs a Honda s2000 nice motor but build quality and interior doesn't come close to my s3, the s2000 is for sale let me know if your interested

Thanks but will be a few months until I decide as getting some work done on the s3 next month before any decisions raised.

The only thing I'm thinking is you can pick up s3's so cheap nowadays I'll be loosing so much when I sell.

S2000's hold money which is a positive. I also have a Fabia vRS as my daily which is so similar to the s3 size wise (obviously nowhere near on power and interior quality like you say). I sometimes get in the s3 at weekends and think this is just a better version than my Fabia, whereas the Honda is a completely different motor altogether.

I've thrown a lot of money at my s3 which got me to 300hp. Rods and uprated clutch next month along with a gearbox rebuild will made it almost perfect mechanically. I bet I'll still struggle to sell it if I ask around 5k

Only thing with the Honda is having to scream the nuts off it to get any power, the people I know who have had type R and S2000 have told me, it can be a bit annoying after a while, plus the tourqe is terrible, right up the top end of the rev range.

If i was you i'd keep it. In my opinion S3's will be a future classic and prices will start to creep up for few owner decent cars.

What other car can give you good build quality, 4 wheel drive and decent grunt and still seat 4 and luggage in comfort for £3-4k and still be worth that in a years time
Even dog rough 10+ owner 200k miles cars are still going for £1500

I'd keep it butif you want it to be a future classic leave it standard

less than 3 owner, sub 100,000 mile car are advertised between £6-7k on traders forecourts

Maybe I'm wrong . mines only stage 1 248bhp and 297lb torque and I went out in a lad at work stage 2 S3 it didn't feel massively different but I don't know what his figures were. It might of been on its **** I don't know but It's why I didn't bother going stage 2 tbh and am just waiting till go straight to a hybrid.

300 ft/lb torque with only a stage 1 ECU update is outstanding, that is same as the 300BHP GOLF R and brand new Audi S3 - but without 4 exhaust pipes.

that's so cool, I want to try and get mine up a little bit - but still safe as I don't want to commit to stronger engine internals - it has what I assume are nearly Stage 2 mods (3inch downpipe, B5 V3 TIP, Cosworth S2000 open cone air filter, PCV delete, catch can, uprated dog bone engine mounts) but every time I want to speak to someone about a new map, something else breaks :)

Just to jump on the honda band wagon, i had an EP3 Type R before my S3 and absolutely loved it, was lovely to drive and great fun, only got the Audi because i wanted something petrol turbo and more powaaaa. If i ever get bored and just want something moderately powered id buy another in a heartbeat. Just depends what you require, i personally wanted more than 200hp, but for some thats easily enough.

If I got rid I'll definitely miss the boost. Who knows after the engine work and gearbox it will probably feel completely different and exciting. I might end of going aet380... Everything else is there bar meth but not too bothered with that at the moment.

My s3 is only 1.8t what I've not put meth on its awesome will Deffo be fitting it somewhere down line. My last 20v stroker ran direct port wmi awesome.

I was after a type r before I drove one, terrible interior, gutless below 5k rpm, almost non existent tourqe, handle well though, interior was important to me, that's where you sit and the parts you touch, so I got an S3 instead, best decision I've made.

I always think this.... I've been looking at s2000's, they look like a hell of a lot of fun.

In the dry lol

Stage 2 doesn't just up the power by approximately 25-30bhp and up peak torque, it also increases power under the curve. If you're not running a fmic you will keep your power much longer, stock smic's heatsoak badly at stage 1, they're *****.

Might felt faster when I had fmic and then again when I had 3" downpipe.

B5 tip, 3" downpipe and fmic are very worthwhile and effective.