KEEPING THE PLENUM AREA CLEAN

rum4mo

Reaction score
Maybe just a timely reminder for anyone that has not taken steps to avoid a build up of leaves etc under the plastic cover below the windscreen.

There are just two large plastic "nuts" and a snap-in click under the jump start cover, unscrew the large plastic nuts using a large screwdriver and ease up the snap-in clip under the jump start cover, and the plastic cover can be removed. I used a special small diameter long fitting on my garage wet/dry hoover to remove any leaves and bits of seed pods, also, as the car was dry, used a paint brush to dust/loosen any dirt in that general area. maybe need a long bit of cane etc to loosen up and/or move any stubborn bits to where the hoover can pick them up. There are two large "nipple" valves there but even they can get choked if this job is not done, flooding in this area can cause problems.

Doing this should be looked on as general "good house keeping" and not cosmetic detailing!

If truth were known, I only got down to do this when changing the brake fluid, as I was concerned that if I spilled any brake fluid I wanted to know where it might be end up!

Reactions: Stonefish and Point_Audi
This is a little job I have been meaning to do, but keep forgetting! I have just read your post and I am about to give my car a good clean so finally, I am going to do this!

*UPDATE* Totally blocked with leaves!! Even the drain holes were covered! Took a while but cleaned all out now, alltho the nosey neighbour asked why I was hoovering the engine!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra
Good write up mate, I done this on my B6 before and also done the B8 when I got it! Mine was also covered in leaves! :(...

is this the same on a B7 thereabouts?

Oh I'd think so, very little has changed since the B5 platform days, so that area will be prone to storing leaves etc, it will just be what exactly needs removing and how you can remove it, but I thought that you could buy a Haynes manual for the B7 - unlike the B8 - yet.

Thanks for the heads up. Just done mine. Full of dried leaves and a layer of dirt. Drain hole was bunged up too.

Only picked my car up on Friday, but this was one of my top priorities. I couldn't believe how much debris and leaves there was under the scuttle panel! took me the best part of an hour to get them all out. Glad I did it whilst everything was bone-dry, made it much easier to hoover the leaves up.