Keeping windscreen clean

Chris128

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This used to happen in my last car but I was hoping in my next car (which has turned out to be my Audi A3) I wouldnt have this problem... unfortunately I do. Basically, the windscreen is perfectly clear and fine until it rains and I have to use my wipers. As soon as I use the wipers the windscreen gets like a blurry 'film' accross it and it takes a few seconds to clear. The problem is that if its raining constantly then I have to have the wipers on all the time and it never has chance to clear, so its quite hard to see at night when headlights are shining on it.

I assume I'm not the only one to experience this problem so what do you guys do to properly clean your windscreen? I've tried just washing with normal car shampoo stuff but doesnt make any difference. Are there any specific washing products that are good for this kind of thing?

Cheers
Chris

Ah thanks, that looks perfect :) Less than a tenner as well so I'll have to get some ordered today and see if it helps! Cheers

I use RainX on my side windows and mirrors but not on my front or rear windows because on a previous car I found it made the wipers very juddery. I should try a small area first to make sure your happy before doing the whole screen.

When my windscreen becomes 'filmy' I spray it with Holts Screenies. The screen needs to be wet wet this is applied.

Thanks, I'll try this RainX and see how that goes - if it causes any problems with the wipers then I'll give that Screenies stuff a go :)

I never got on with RainX myself. Rain Wizard was awesome but I never see it on sale anymore :think:

sometimes a film build up and its hard to get off. I've read that the clay bar you can use on your paintwork can be used to remove it though it may take a time unless you buy the heavier duty one. After cleaned, then I'd use the rain-x type stuff.

After cleaned, then I'd use the rain-x type stuff

That's a good point actually, not much point in me using this RainX repellent stuff until I have washed the windscreen properly.

Halfords do a traffic grime cutter which works well to clean the windows, inside too. Then l use rainracer rather than rainx, but use rainx defogger on the inside. Rainracer lasts a while but in this weather l would expect more than 2 months out of it before a recoat. It also comes with a deburnisher to really clean the windows if you dont go for the halfords product. Rainracer is also good around the house too. On windows and such like.

rainX is good for side windows but not on front and rear as it wears out quickly due to the wipers. the best one around is from a german company called carlack

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-amp-exterior/carlack-glass-sealing-kit/prod_348.html

bit more expensive than others and harder to put on. first product goes on as a cleaner which gets rid of all the dirt, grease, oil etc, this is to be left on for about 5 mins and then once wiped off, second product goes on, and left on for 5 mins again, this is the sealant. i use it on mine, it has lasted about 5 months, when windscreen is dirty it reduces the effectiveness, but a little wipe clean and works fine again!

It sounds like you just have a greasy film across the windscreen, or maybe it's been waxed in the past ?

Try using crumpled up newspaper; soak it in white vinegar first so the paper absorbs the acidic vinegar, and then literally just wipe it over the whole windscreen (you may want to use rubber gloves).

It's a cheap, but effective way that works.

Products such as Rain-X and Carlack Glass Sealant are only really good for on side windows, as it can cause judderyness in the wipers. I've used Carlack, and to be honest, I don't use it THAT often as I ain't all THAT impressed. So, personally I'd save yer money and just keep the windows clean with a general window cleaner, such as Meguiar's.

Hope this helps

Chris
I recon rainx is your problem.

Go for a normal window cleaner. maybe try vinegar first

The water repellent products for glass all work, some people say about how it makes windscreen wipers judder, but its all about how you apply it, I detail cars and I always use carlack, no one has ever experienced juddery wipers.

Regarding the OP, the film that you get from your wipers is probably, as said, a greasy, oily windscreen and old, hard wipers. either soak wipers in vinegar or get new ones and thoroughly clean your window.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used a cloth soaked lightly in methylated spirits and wiped over the windscreen, also wipe the wiper blades too. Then clean with autoglym glass cleaner. Methylated spirits is about £2 a bottle in wilkinsons, dont get it from halfords or the like.

worked for me on my new Audi and on my wifes new mini. There was a greasy film or wax from delivery

The water repellent products for glass all work, some people say about how it makes windscreen wipers judder, but its all about how you apply it, I detail cars and I always use carlack, no one has ever experienced juddery wipers.

Regarding the OP, the film that you get from your wipers is probably, as said, a greasy, oily windscreen and old, hard wipers. either soak wipers in vinegar or get new ones and thoroughly clean your window.

You are right in what you say about "it's all about how you apply it", as I too do detailing and have used Carlack in the past without any judderyness. But my personal point of view is that these products simply aren't worth the money. ;)

A good point regarding the wipers though. Some people use rubber cleaners/windscreen cleaners to clean the wipers, which will only cause the wiper to strengthen and go hard. Again, a simple wipe over with kitchen towel/cloth + vinegar will clean these with ease (and keep money in the OP's pocket). :thumbsup:

Vinegar it is then! :) Going to give this a go now and see what its like tomorrow on the drive to work. Thanks, will let you know if the vinegar helps

We get some absolute tropical cloudbursts here on an almost DAILY basis in the summer, and I swear by Rain-X. I've done the 'half-screen application' test on several cars, and it ALWAYS works. Never had any wiper-skip either.

Some observations which may be pertinent:

If you take the car to an automatic car wash which uses wash-n-wax, you're applying a nasty film to your windscreen also. You'll need to remove it. Likewise if you use combined 'wash-n-wax' when handwashing, if you also clean the winscreen with the same stuff.

There's also road-film to consider. Either way, CLEAN the windshield first.

You can use a clay bar, along with a dilute solution of ammonia or a dedicated window-cleaner spray like 'windex' -which also usually contains ammonia, but a light solution of vinegar can also work although is less kind to the paintwork if it 'oversprays' or runs onto the paintwork.

Another way is to use 'four-ought' steel wool (Four-ought is the US standard for the FINEST grade of steel wool, which will not scratch tempered glass and can be identified by the designation of four-zeroes on the packet. It is SO thin and fine that it burns when lit from a cigarette lighter. -It burns pretty violelntly, and cannot be blown-out, so if you DO decide to test this for yourself, do so ONLY when standing outside, on a NON-flammable surface, and preferably with a hosepipe nearby. IT lights up like firecraclers, so be warned!) along with some window-cleaner/dilute ammonia and following up with a paper towel or -ideally- blank newsprint (like chip-shop wrap paper).

ALSO, always give the wiper blades a clean also. The A3 will 'auto-park' its blades so you can lift them for cleaning, and you should use a small amount of steel-wool and window cleaner. This should result in a nasty black residue being removed form the wiper surface.

THEN -and only then- apply the rain-x.

If you're using it for the first time, mask off the passenger half of the window, and treat ONLY the driver's side. The next time you're in a rainstorm, you'll SEE why it works. In vehicles which have windows with almost vertical windows, and just about NO windscreen wiper coverage (Such as the Humvee) you CANNOT drive the friggin' horrid things in tropical weather without Rain-X. The difference really IS that dramatic.

By the way, vinegar WILL harden the wipers just as surely as the other products named.

You have to remove all the grime before adding ANYTHING. That means teh wiper blades as well as the glass surface.

My windsheild cleaning routine is as follows:

1) Windex and steel wool on the wiper blades
2) Four-ought steel wool and windex.
3) windex and paper towels to clean the blades and screen. Repeat until thoroughly clean.
4) Rain-X.

All of my cars get this treatment, and I've done the half-screen treatment on two of them and another car whcih I used to own. With Rain-X, -even with the wiperes switched OFF- I can continue to see throught the treated side LONG after the other side is too blurry to see anything through.

Keith

Thanks for that detailed post :) I dont fancy buying any steel wool though, so I think I'll just use newspaper or something for now lol didnt get round to trying the vinegar last night but will give it a try tonight and see if I still need the RainX after that

No matter what you clean it with, Rain-X is still worth it.

I was over in Britain a few days ago and I see it's still raining there, although more of a slight persistent drizzle rather than the sky-dropping downpours which I see over here.

Seriously... after you've cleaned the window and wipers, Rain-X half the windshield (the driver's half is a good bet!) Then go for a drive in the rain, with the wipers switched OFF.

If you don't love it, I'll buy it for you.

Keith