Key case/body upgrading Review and instructions

jrumball

Reaction score
I Bought a replacement key body/case from this seller on Aliexpress after seeing someone in the German A3 e-tron Facebook Page who had bought one. I keep my keys on a carabiner on a belt loop and the cheap poverty spec key that came with the car always pops out and pokes me it’s annoying. It is ingenious how an Audi key case has been modified to fit a PCB from a different key.

IMG 5613

IMG 5612

*** The swap is nearly non destructive to the original key, you will be able to put your original key back together very easily at a latter date***

*** I think this replacement only really makes sense if you have Keyless entry as with this version it is a real faff to get the blade out***

This is the Seller I bought from ( I did not look around there are a number of other sellers selling very similar cases but just went with the one that the e-tron group member had had success with)

www.aliexpress.com/item/4001323213263.html

Versions

Be careful when ordering as there are nearly identical versions for different cars including the TT which has a near identical key !

Screenshot 2021 01 02 at 133236
Screenshot 2021 01 02 at 133251

Cost

I bought the case for £28.32 including delivery at the beginning of Dec 2020

Delivery

It arrived promptly ! It took 6 days at the beginning of Dec 2020… very fast !!!

Unfortunately it arrived with a defect in the unlock button (it looks like a hair was bought underneath the finish , the seller has been quick to resolve this and will be sending e a replacement button, with my order of the new version of the case . (This was a manufacturing defect and should of been caught by quality control)

IMG 5595

The key came with a cheap set of phone tools which really weren’t unto the task, the included screwdrivers did also not include the required T5

Quality and Construction
  • Mine did arrive with a cosmetic defect
  • It looks like some parts were directly taken from original key moulds and then modified
  • Metal parts all feel solid, only time will tell to how well the finish lasts
  • Plastic parts all clip together securely.
  • The button to remove the bottom half from the top is stiff and I don’t think it would come apart accidentally.
  • It feels solid and a reasonable weight still
IMG 5583

IMG 5596
IMG 5611

IMG 5591

Issues

• Even though there is a clear light tube for the LED it goes nowhere …. I don’t see this being much of a problem as the indicators on the car flash when locking and unlocking
  • There are no gaskets or seals, the key will be nowhere near as waterproof as the factory key though all the plastic clips together very tightly
  • The key blade is not integrated, and therefor is not really suitable for non-keyless cars

Opperation

• Buttons are a little stiff but I think this is a good thing to stop accidental pressing.
  • The range doesn’t seem to of bee unaffected so far.
  • To use the emergency key is a bit of a fiddle but in 3 years of ownership I have yet to use my key blade once.
IMG 5610

Tips

• When removing the PCB you need to cut the top off the 2 posts circled (this is the only destructive thing you have to do and should not cause problems if you had to reassemble the key ).
IMG 5599

• There is no need to remove the top of the case with the buttons, they are a pain to get back in)
  • I used the nail from a cable clip as a drift pin to get my key blade out
IMG 5609
IMG 5607

• When reassembling your old key be aware of the orientation of the spring, and reassemble it it the open position twisting the case to put tension on the spring.
  • The battery needs to be slid backwards the loop end of the case for it to stay in place
IMG 5605

• I added a small piece of cloth tape to keep the battery cover in place so I did not loose it if I had to remove the emergency key blade
IMG 5619

Instructions and assembley

The process is fairly clear what you ned to do from the sellers pictures. I ran into no real problems

Screenshot 2021 01 02 at 133316

IMG 5597

IMG 5602

Tools needed

• T5
  • T6
  • Small flat blade or spludger for prying
  • Knife
  • Hammer
  • a small nail to use as a drift pin ( I found a cable clip nail worked perfectly)
IMG 5614

Conclusion

Over all I think it makes a nice little cheap and simple improvement and something that really should have been included from the factory.

***New version ***

A new version has been released which seems to keep the key blade useable more easily I have ordered one and will update this thread when it arrives.

Screenshot 2021 01 02 at 133245

Last edited:
Reactions: IgorFB, Henda and KrisKrk
Great writeup and result.
Thought of it myself but the idea of removing the blade from that fob to start up the car (mine's a non keyless entry/start), made me scrap that idea.
Looking at it now, is there a space on the new fob blade holder for a immobiliser transponder? That would solve the problem for me, at least.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Great writeup and result.
Thought of it myself but the idea of removing the blade from that fob to start up the car (mine's a non keyless entry/start), made me scrap that idea.
Looking at it now, is there a space on the new fob blade holder for a immobiliser transponder? That would solve the problem for me, at least.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Because it reuses the PCB from the original key there is nowhere for the blade to go if it is permanently installed. I think it really only makes sense for keyless cars... The chance of loosing the fob half every time you took it apart to start the car is quite high !

Reactions: KrisKrk
Great write up, sure it’ll be helpful for quite a few on here!

I must admit since having my S5 I’ve realised how handy having keyless entry is, also I don’t miss having the old ugly key that comes with the 8v A3, it was a really old outdated design!

Cant seem to find something like this for us poor old people who still use a key for the Audi A3 8V
Would like a cool new key fob which looks fancy like this

Swapped mine just now. Quite easy!

Concerned about lack of gaskets like the original key fob had. I typically carry my key in my back pocket when I go for a run. Curious if this lasts long term.

Reactions: jrumball
The second version arrived yesterday, will put up some details after its out of its quarantine.....

For those with keyless, it is amazing how much lint and dust get under the key blade from being in your pocket! Curious to see the newer fob you ordered @jrumball and how it compares.

IMG 5879

So I finally got around to looking at the second type of fob that was available, I'll make this briefer than the previous one, it is no where near as good a design, and no better for someone without keyless entry. The fob has no place to store the emergency key, you may possibly be able to remove the included blank/weight and put your blade in place I tried for about 10mins and it was impossible to remove on my case. The only advantage is the light pipe for the LED.

IMG 5874

IMG 5882 2

Cost
It cost me £19.83 delivered, from the same seller.

Delivery
Quick once agin it arrived in less than 2 weeks. I bought it from the same seller as above.

Quality and Construction

The quality and design is no where near as good. The way the case clips together is nowhere near as tight, the button too release the key blade and get to the battery cover easily misaligns itself which makes it either hard to remove, or when you go to put it back in it doesn't seat correctly and there is a possibility of loosing the fob !

IMG 5873
IMG 5876
IMG 5878

Opperation

The remote seems to work as well as the other case . This one does have a light pipe for the LED to confirm operation.

Assembly

The assembly is simple but involves a couple of screws to hold the PCB in place and then to hold the backs together.
IMG 5877
IMG 5875
IMG 5881
IMG 5883

Conclusion
I see no reason to choose this case over the other one available It is a poor design in comparison.

Reactions: qzan
Mine finally came. Takes long to get it in America. I'm pretty satisfied. Not as well build as OEM but definitely nicer. My one bother is that the raised key is unlock button and not the lock button.
And it does have the light. Its just very faint.

Attachments

• 20210210_172037_capture.jpg
    20210210_172037_capture.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 20210210_171854.jpg
    20210210_171854.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 251
Mine finally came. Takes long to get it in America. I'm pretty satisfied. Not as well build as OEM but definitely nicer. My one bother is that the raised key is unlock button and not the lock button.
And it does have the light. Its just very faint.
Ha I never noticed the LED as it’s hidden by my thumb if you hold it normally ! Well spotted

You have described and shown everything perfectly. Thanks for this. It can be seen that you are seriously confused with this key. I always have problems with my car keys. I constantly lose my keys and forget them in the car. I can no longer count how much money I spent on keys and a locksmith. I have already begun to seriously consider taking a course to become a locksmith. There is a lot of good information about this at https://www.howtobecomealocksmith.org/locksmith-jobs/. I don't have a very good job right now, so they'll kill two birds with one stone.