Keyless start

AlS3BE

Reaction score
hi folks,
Quick question.
Is it possible to retrofit keyless start?
I’m not looking for the whole advance key where you can open doors with key in pocket.
Just the keyless start like in the A6 where you still had to unlock/lock with remote buttons but you can start the car with pressing start butting instead of using a key and turning it in a barrel(so old school)
Just missing a few creature comforts I had in the A6.
Cheers,
Al

This was a hot topic when I asked lol.

To date, no one has confirmation that it has been done, although one forum user said there's a retrofit company in **** saying they can do it, but he wouldn't provide any info of the company.

I have a master tech friend here putting together a hardware list to retro in the oem equipment from the factory option package. Then it will be a rabbit hole of coding to figure out.

I think it can be done. Not cheaply, not easily, but can be.

There's mixed opinions on that lol.

Surely it can’t be that difficult. Replace the key barrel with a start switch/button and change the receiver for the immobiliser so it can pick up the signal from the key in my pocket .... or rob a whole load of bits from an A6/7 and see if you can code it.
Maybe it’s just my old school way of modifying cars

It's been done, they've cracked the security thing since last year.

Surely it can’t be that difficult. Replace the key barrel with a start switch/button and change the receiver for the immobiliser so it can pick up the signal from the key in my pocket .... or rob a whole load of bits from an A6/7 and see if you can code it.
Maybe it’s just my old school way of modifying cars
If it wasn't that difficult then hazzydayz or kufatec would offer it as a retrofit. But they don't thus this suggests that the interface with the rest of the car's systems require far more, plus alternative keys and sensors.
As the option for having just keyless start on the A3 isn't available, but the whole keyless entry, this makes it more complex and possibly not old school.
I suggest a pm being dropped to DJAlix as he's more clued up on this than us.

As stated above it’s been done, well “cracked”. I know how this works and the problem is in the sentence... it’s not official and is relying on hacks. Yes it’s been done on the A6 and MLB platforms etc, but it’s very different and requires no hacks.

Would you really want to compromise the security of your vehicle for the sake of not wanting to push the unlock button on your remote? Lol

Reactions: sgtvic, AlS3BE and cuke2u
As stated above it’s been done, well “cracked”. I know how this works and the problem is in the sentence... it’s not official and is relying on hacks. Yes it’s been done on the A6 and MLB platforms etc, but it’s very different and requires no hacks.

Would you really want to compromise the security of your vehicle for the sake of not wanting to push the unlock button on your remote? Lol

It’s not the advance key I’m looking for. I’m happy pushing unlock/lock on remote. I just liked how the A6 c7 you had a start button instead of putting a key in a hole and turning to start the car. Don’t think I’ve had to use a key in a barrel for like 10 years,lol.
Closest was a hole in the dash where you pushed the key in. Think my mk4 golf was the last time I had a key to use.

It’s not the advance key I’m looking for. I’m happy pushing unlock/lock on remote. I just liked how the A6 c7 you had a start button instead of putting a key in a hole and turning to start the car. Don’t think I’ve had to use a key in a barrel for like 10 years,lol.
Closest was a hole in the dash where you pushed the key in. Think my mk4 golf was the last time I had a key to use.
Don't think thats gonna be possible without getting all MacGyver or BluePeter on steering column.

Reactions: Kondax and AlS3BE
Oh well.. worth asking. Maybe next car I tick all the options and just pay the premium tax.
I still find it strange that the key Audi uses now is not that different to my almost 20 year golf. Move on with the times...
Thanks guys

I'm with you.....what a big clumsy key....especially when trying to find the hole for it at night.
My last 4 cars in a row have been keyless start, so took a backwards step in this respect when I "upgraded" to an Audi.

Reactions: Kondax
I'm with you.....what a big clumsy key....especially when trying to find the hole for it at night.
My last 4 cars in a row have been keyless start, so took a backwards step in this respect when I "upgraded" to an Audi.
I'll give you that.. I sometimes struggle to find the hole at night:whistle2:

One thing that A3 has which your MK4 Golf didn't have surely is the self-cranking feature where you just turn the key and let it go and have the car crank itself. :D

Though it is a pitty this cannot be retrofitted properly.

Reactions: AlS3BE
I agree, the Audi S3 key is noticeably bigger than what my 15' GLI had.

The kessy system in my GLI was great. The fact my preowned model S3 had an option for similar features, and the original buyer didn't get it, annoys the **** out of me. I thought I'd get over it, but nope. That and sans backup camera. Grrrr.

Anyways, I feel ya!

Reactions: Kondax
I agree, the Audi S3 key is noticeably bigger than what my 15' GLI had.

The kessy system in my GLI was great. The fact my preowned model S3 had an option for similar features, and the original buyer didn't get it, annoys the **** out of me. I thought I'd get over it, but nope. That and sans backup camera. Grrrr.

Anyways, I feel ya!
Definitely the two most wanted options for my car. Pretty much the only two options the previous owner didn't spec.

Did anyone consider an aftermarket solution? The is a plenty of them out there.

Not really looked at aftermarket solutions.
What I don’t want is a start button but still have to put the key in the hole.
I think the way it works in the a6 would be the ideal solution but don’t think it exists.
Still find it quite poor on Audi. Mate has a newish focus st and it comes standard with keyless and folding mirrors.

I think the way it works in the a6 would be the ideal solution but don’t think it exists.
Still find it quite poor on Audi. Mate has a newish focus st and it comes standard with keyless and folding mirrors.
And with all the hate for keyless, Audi would be slated even if it was standard lol.

Folding mirrors though yup agree.

And with all the hate for keyless, Audi would be slated even if it was standard lol.

Folding mirrors though yup agree.
A6 was just keyless start not keyless entry as standard which is what I’m looking for.
Not a big fan of keyless entry as I’m always second guessing myself if I locked the car. There’s no way of checking either as soon you touch the handle it unlocks. Where as I give the handle a quick tug to see if it’s locked on non keyless entry cars.

Not a big fan of keyless entry as I’m always second guessing myself if I locked the car. There’s no way of checking either as soon you touch the handle it unlocks. Where as I give the handle a quick tug to see if it’s locked on non keyless entry cars.
I loved keyless entry and had it as standard on 2 previous Focus ST's and Honda Civic.
You could always be sure the car was locked because the mirrors automatically folded with the door locks.
Audi are quite mean with their standard spec that you take for granted with other brands.

I loved keyless entry and had it as standard on 2 previous Focus ST's and Honda Civic.
You could always be sure the car was locked because the mirrors automatically folded with the door locks.
Audi are quite mean with their standard spec that you take for granted with other brands.

In the Audi you will need the folding mirror option to use that as an indicator of locked car.
To be fair the standard spec on the a6 sline was pretty good. Later c7 facelift had folding mirrors, memory seats and front and rear parking sensors as standard and keyless start. These are the things I’m missing moving to the s3 but then I also wanted to keep under the premium tax band as well otherwise I would have ticked all the boxes:wink:

Yes that's true, but to my mind if a car has keyless entry it should also have folding mirrors. Audi expect you to pay for these things separately knowing that most people will want them both. Some people have security issues with full keyless systems though and that's fair enough, but it's never been a concern of mine.
Keeping under the £450 tax band was a concern of mine also. :innocent:

Last edited:
I think if I was to go over the premium road tax I want to be well over it like £60k + not just by a few hundred quid.
Super sport seats would have been nice but putting me over would have cost me £2500 not just the £7-800 extra. definitely isn’t worth £2500!

I've been thinking of these two systems, though I believe there are more and may be cheaper ones out there.
Advanced Keys $369.99
iKey $599

I've been thinking of these two systems, though I believe there are more and may be cheaper ones out there.
Advanced Keys $369.99
iKey $599
Looks good but not sure how the insurance will take it putting an after market security system in the car. Maybe a thatcham approved category will be needed to be used over here.

May be. There are always pros and cons in using aftermarket solutions.