Knocking from front drivers side suspension over bumps

Kayobong

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So I've been having a problem with my PFL 8V A3 2.0 TDI, when I go over speed-bumps there is a sort of knock and creak coming from my front driver side suspension, it tends to be on the way down the bump. I've had a look at the suspension briefly with a torch when the car is parked and nothing looks broken, however the noise is quite unnerving and I was wondering if anyone had an ideas?

Cheers.

Most likely a rubber bush has worn/perished.
What’s the mileage/age?

Reactions: Kayobong
Most likely a rubber bush has worn/perished.
What’s the mileage/age?

2013 62 plate, 88k I had an Audi inspection at 86k and they didn't flag anything, it's still under RAC warranty, would this be covered if it's the issue do you think? Cheers

Sounds like the same problem I’m having with my s3 Saloon. When going over sleeping policeman bumps I get a creak on the rebound from the drivers front side. I’ve Learnt to live with it and will lowering the car soon so will change the top bushes aswell.

Sounds like the same problem I’m having with my s3 Saloon. When going over sleeping policeman bumps I get a creak on the rebound from the drivers front side. I’ve Learnt to live with it and will lowering the car soon so will change the top bushes aswell.

I'm not sure if it actually causes any issues it's just a bit of an annoyance really.

If it’s still under warranty then let them deal with it. Could be something simple like bush or anti roll bar link which I would think should be under warranty

If it’s still under warranty then let them deal with it. Could be something simple like bush or anti roll bar link which I would think should be under warranty

I should point out it is RAC warranty which means I have to take it to an RAC garage which is quite a bit of faf and it mainly covers the important things, engine, clutch, etc, if its something inexpensive I would rather go to Audi or a local indie garage to get sorted quickly.

Possibly related- my brake disk dust cover plate randomly fell off the other day. It looks like metal fatigue at the connecting points, all 3 were broken. Since I’ve removed it I no longer get a knocking on the near side front. To the best of my knowledge it has not been disturbed with the exception of me cleaning it when I replace the front disks last year. It might be worth checking if yours has come loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly related- my brake disk dust cover plate randomly fell off the other day. It looks like metal fatigue at the connecting points, all 3 were broken. Since I’ve removed it I no longer get a knocking on the near side front. To the best of my knowledge it has not been disturbed with the exception of me cleaning it when I replace the front disks last year. It might be worth checking if yours has come loose

Thanks, I'll be sure to give that a check, can't be a bad thing to do either way.

Reactions: airbus319
Just came across this thread so, thought I'll chip in as I am having exactly the same issue on mine as well. And it started ever since I changed the tires on my A3 8V (PFL). Currently, the car has 39k miles on it. The suspension has been checked by Audi 4 times, I have recorded 4-5 videos of it and showed them to the tech who went with me on a test drive. I also took the car to two independent tire places locally and like Audi they too were unable to identify any issues with the suspension. The last place I visited suggested it can be top-mount?

The last diagnostic session that we had, Audi agreed it 'might' possibly be top-mounts however, they are not sure. They will replace them on 18th Feb as the car is still under warranty.

@Kayobong I am not sure if it is going to help or not but did you manage to fix yours?

I had this issue from new on my 2014 A3. It was the driver's side top suspension mount bearing and was replaced under warranty. I found that if you pop the bonnet and got an assistant to turn the wheel lock to lock when stationary, the source of the noise was very evident.

It's a very common fault on these cars.

Reactions: V6_Man
I had this issue from new on my 2014 A3. It was the driver's side top suspension mount bearing and was replaced under warranty. I found that if you pop the bonnet and got an assistant to turn the wheel lock to lock when stationary, the source of the noise was very evident.

It's a very common fault on these cars.

90% of the times mine comes from the driver side as well, n/s is very occasionall.

Mine does the same after 18K miles.. started not long after 10K miles.

It's due it's first service Wednesday this week at Audi Leeds, I've asked them to look at the issue but i know now that when they take it for a test drive it won't do it.

It's a hollow knocking noise which sounds like it's coming from the top of the front suspension struts where it's bolted to the car in the engine bay.

Just came across this thread so, thought I'll chip in as I am having exactly the same issue on mine as well. And it started ever since I changed the tires on my A3 8V (PFL). Currently, the car has 39k miles on it. The suspension has been checked by Audi 4 times, I have recorded 4-5 videos of it and showed them to the tech who went with me on a test drive. I also took the car to two independent tire places locally and like Audi they too were unable to identify any issues with the suspension. The last place I visited suggested it can be top-mount?

The last diagnostic session that we had, Audi agreed it 'might' possibly be top-mounts however, they are not sure. They will replace them on 18th Feb as the car is still under warranty.

@Kayobong I am not sure if it is going to help or not but did you manage to fix yours?

Unfortunately not, I've got warranty so I'm going to leave it with an RAC approved garage and hopefully they can identify the fault, I'll get back to you when I know more.

Reactions: V6_Man
It will be the top mount. Nothing to worry about just annoying.. mine is on 86k and creaks when going over the odd speed hump. Unfortunately it’s hard to diagnose just looking at it needs removing to check and even then they can look quite good and still creak. Will just change them when I put lowering springs on later in the year. If it’s a rattle when driving it’s most likely the sway bar links.

Car has come back from it's first service, i asked them to look at the knocking noise, they did do and have come back saying that there is some sort of sleeve on each of the shocker which had come looses and was hitting the chassis/structure of the car.. no idea if this is true though, come to think of it i don't actually know if the knocking noise has gone yet as it was intermittent but the guy sounded convincing. :yes:

Car has come back from it's first service, i asked them to look at the knocking noise, they did do and have come back saying that there is some sort of sleeve on each of the shocker which had come looses and was hitting the chassis/structure of the car.. no idea if this is true though, come to think of it i don't actually know if the knocking noise has gone yet as it was intermittent but the guy sounded convincing. :yes:

That’s right sometimes the plastic shock cover can break or become loose although I don’t know if that would cause a noise loud enough to hear inside the car..

That’s right sometimes the plastic shock cover can break or become loose although I don’t know if that would cause a noise loud enough to hear inside the car..

Funny you should say that because the inner arch plastic cover does seem loose on my drivers side after comparing it with the passenger side.

Reactions: dannyboy1985

So far i haven't heard anything but the true test is when i go down to my golf club as there's a cobbled road i have to drive on to get there which made the car knock so only time will tell.

Taken the car to the mechanic, he said it's most likely either ball joint or bump stop

I have a similar issue no knocking noise though just a really loud creaking sound

And it is definitely not bump stops or ball joints for me. I am almost 99.9% sure it is the top mounts. I had it checked b indys and the car is booked in again on 18 as they have agreed it to be top mounts

Ive got that creak when going over bumps and a knock when turning left or right. Got my top shock mounts replaced yesterday and nothing has changed. The whole Anti roll bar with bushings will be replaced on saturday. Ive got a 2014 audi a3

Ive got that creak when going over bumps and a knock when turning left or right. Got my top shock mounts replaced yesterday and nothing has changed. The whole Anti roll bar with bushings will be replaced on saturday. Ive got a 2014 audi a3

For me it was the bushings causing the noise.

Have a look at the rubber cover on the drop link's upper ball joint. The rubber on this top ball joint is prone to wear/splitting over time and causes the ball joint to stiffen/seize causing creaking noises on bumps - often gets overlooked at inspections and MOTs.

Have a look at the rubber cover on the drop link's upper ball joint. The rubber on this top ball joint is prone to wear/splitting over time and causes the ball joint to stiffen/seize causing creaking noises on bumps - often gets overlooked at inspections and MOTs.

Yesterday my mechanic sprayed lubricant on my wishbone bushings and we went for a drive, like magic the creaking sound vanished. I changed the bushings yesterday and the car feels solid in the front.

Only thing is that when i turn right theres still a knocking noise and really faint when turning left. Ive changed the drivers side driveshaft, both droplinks, both shock mounts, anti rollbar and bushes and wheel bearing but even now its not going away.

Yesterday my mechanic sprayed lubricant on my wishbone bushings and we went for a drive, like magic the creaking sound vanished. I changed the bushings yesterday and the car feels solid in the front.

Only thing is that when i turn right theres still a knocking noise and really faint when turning left. Ive changed the drivers side driveshaft, both droplinks, both shock mounts, anti rollbar and bushes and wheel bearing but even now its not going away.

Exactly the same for me, he sprayed them and it was all good.

did you ever get the noise fixed ? I had creaky suspension on front driver side over bumps and just got top mounts replaced and the creaking noise is still there over bumps