Knocking noise at front

Adam_A3_

Reaction score
Hi guys
Im well confused

Had a knocking noise on the front right. Got it inspected and everything is fine. From ball joints to bushes. I changed the shocker and springs and the knocking is still there. What an earth can this be?
Audi a3 1.9tdi...

Maybe a cat or squirrel?

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist
This question is like asking - how long is a piece of string. Can be so many things, it's pointless to go into them all. If it's loud enough for a video, then make one on your phone and post it here.

Some questions to get started:
Is the noise metallic?
Does it occur under braking/acceleration/over bumps/all of the time or during idle?
... you get the idea :)

Does it meow or squeak (not sure what noise squirrels do)..
I agree with ^...

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist
To me it seems suspension related. Only over bumos. Typical noise of a bad shocker from past experience but ive had them changed now. The mechanic said it looks solid under the car and couldnt find anything that was untoward...

In that case ignore it and turn magic fm up...

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist and Adam_A3_
Hard to say. Ideas;
Suspension
Subframe
Loose part in engine bay
wiring loom moving around, flapping against something
Something not where you think it is (sounds can sound like they're coming from one place, turn out its in another and sound transmission can be an odd beast).

I sometimes get a tapping noise when I turn of my engine not all the time just sometimes sounds abit metallic I just had a feeling its the radiator or something because I remember when I changed the intercooler I just used water to see if it leaked and kinda forgot to put coolant in with it my bad yea sometimes got a feeling its deoxidised water in the aluminium radiator

Could be any number of bushes, engine mount, CV joint. top mount, lose bolts on subframe or steering rack or the rack itself/tie rod ends.

Got same problem had droplinks changed and it stopped for abit then started again mine going back in for new top mounts,new droplinks and bushes ino the top mounts are about knackered so I gona start with them, could be similar problem?

Got same problem had droplinks changed and it stopped for abit then started again mine going back in for new top mounts,new droplinks and bushes ino the top mounts are about knackered so I gona start with them, could be similar problem?

Done the drop links yday amd the top mounts were fine. Might look at the engine mounts next

Yeah could be a engine, but what like been said it could be a million of things just got to be lucky to find it