knocking noise, left front wheel

addyboult

Reaction score
How do, my s3 has developed a knocking noise from the front left wheel, not the top mounts had them done recently, i suspect the drop links as it only occurs when turning right when the weight of the car shifts that way, anyone else had this issue, just wondering if its the right thing to be looking at!
Cheers
addy

Usually the easiest way to find out is jack the car up then pry along all the bushes. If something like that has gone or a ball joint you will be able to see the excess movement.

Had it up earlier and the only thing that moved and rattled was the driveshaft, could be the cv joints?

I didn't have time for a full look, but Im guessing as its the only part i could move around by hand , and it did slightly replicate the noise, so going to block change inner and outer joints and reboot and grease them, driveshafts work out at about a ton each don't they?

I had a similar issue on my S3, turned out to be the bracket that the ARB bushing rests on had snapped clean off. The play in the ARB was huge, causing a nasty knocking sound. Easily rectified though, just fitted a new bracket and bushing, and all sorted.

It's more a clicking noise for cv's,droplink is more of a clunking iirc.

The noise only comes when under acceleration, as soon as i lift its gone, that's what's made me suspect the cvs on the driveshaft, that and the play in it i felt too

Hi Addyboult,

I seem to have the same problem as you, did you ever get to resolve this?

Cheers