Knocking on the front end

FranA3

FMDETAILING
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hey peeps im losing the will to live with the car lol, ive got a knocking coming from the front end of the car (suspension knock) ive replaced the tops mounts, drop links, bottom ball joints what else could it be? i did enquire about the anti roll bar but been told its a complete unit i would have to buy from tps as no one supplies bushes for it? any help would be great before i lose my mind haha!

It's very frustrating haha, it's when I go over little sharp bumps, it's coming from the front drivers side mainly

Maybe the shock considering all the other things you have replaced? After that there really isn't much else to replace.

Ah well that's what it might be. I've had 4 sets of coilovers on different caravan over the years varying in cost and if I'm honest they ain't great. What kind are they?

Might be a new show pimp my caravan haha. Probably a shock tbh. Vmaxx are nothing amazing, especially if they've done 20k upwards on a low setting.

I wouldn't replace anything else in that case bud. Get it stripped down and give it the once over. Without hearing it for myself though I couldn't safe for definite.

Do you think I could replace just the front shocks? I'd be best to do them in pairs if I were to replace just the shocks do you think? Otherwise it's a new coilovers kit. On the last mot they said there was a bit of oil leaking around the top so could be pointing towards a pooped shocker

Yeah sure, no harm in doing it that way. If I'm honest id move away from coilovers (unless you like it super low) and go bilstein or koni. Unfortunately it's just one of those things with coilover kits.

Speak to DPM can't remember the dudes name but always been very helpful over the years.

www.dpmperformance.co.uk

Yeah sure, no harm in doing it that way. If I'm honest id move away from coilovers (unless you like it super low) and go bilstein or koni. Unfortunately it's just one of those things with coilover kits.

Speak to DPM can't remember the dudes name but always been very helpful over the years.

www.dpmperformance.co.uk
Think it's Damien, yeah was thinking of moving away from them will see what the prices are like and go from there :)

Have you tried checking the ARB mounts? Use a pry bar with the droplinks disconnected, see if the bushes deform a lot. If you need bushes perhaps get some uprated ones if you can't get OEM

Sounds very much like front anti roll bar mounts to me also. If you can raise the car safely and then take hold of the ARB at one or other outer end and see if you can move it transversely with little effort. If you can get movement in the way then the mounting bushes are worn and require renewal. If you require new parts, don't buy the genuine replacement as you will be better served by aftermarket good quality upgraded ARB's set. Personally I recommend the KW kit.

I had similar knocking on mine, had new wishbones on the front and this solved my knocking.

Reactions: Jon a4 3.0
My 3.2 Quattro had same knocking over uneven surface/drain covers etc. Replace lower wishbones problem solved. Peace again. I bought arms complete with both bushes/mounts and ball joints. Took about half an hour a side :)

If your car is lowered then the arb can knock. Was a common problem on lowered Golfs. Try raising the car and see what happens.