Knocking on the front suspension !!

Reaction score
Its been doing it for a few weeks but has got worse so i jacked the car up to have a look and was a bit shocked at what i found !!!

audiarm2.jpg

Both top arms have separated from the bushes and now its just metal on metal !!!. I cant get any new ones over the weekend and i need the car monday morning fortunatly the local breakers has a good pair in but they are from a facelift 1.8se,they look the same but i seem to remember that they changed some of the suspension . Does anybody know if they will fit ??

Stealer parts dept is open tomorrow morning....give them a call to confirm

My local audi dealers have just moved and dont keep many early parts in stock ,plus i dont fancy driving the car now i know just how bad it is,the breakers is only a 2 minute walk from my house !!!

what year is your car, can try and have a look for you.

and the details of the facelif to see if the part numbers match up.

Managed to get a pair from euro car parts for £70,apparently they list three different types for the b5 cars !!

951 said:
Managed to get a pair from euro car parts for £70,apparently they list three different types for the b5 cars !!

not bad at all! great stuff! it feels like a new car when the noises go away!

:arco:

I hope so but as ive just broken the maf sensor it isnt going anyway at the moment . The old arms were really bad though the alloy was half worn down and the rubber bushes had fell out !!!

Get arms from VAG-Parts or S4woody over on RS246.com - he beats VAG-Parts prices and great service. Just ordered a full set for myself.

Good job diagnosing where the noise was coming from. Often you cant see where it is coming from and with 8 separate arms on the car its hard to spot which is the guilty culpret.

rick the spud said:
looks ok to me, just put a bit of duck tape around it!

LoL sounds like my work, duck tape all oer the machines. 951 you must be the unluckiest audi owner on the B5 forum at the moment, damaged arms and broken MAF :(

Just been out to check my arms for same wear as this topic seems a regular one. Alls fine :).

Must be a Very common problem because as soon as i mentioned it was an A4 with a knocking front suspension the guy at euro car parts knew what parts i needed before i even asked him !!!. Yeah been a bit unlucky with the car this week but itb hopefully should be sorted today or tomorrow,ive got the maf coming from euro car parts for £75 (genuine bosch).

lot to be said for poly bushing the suspension.......
you were lucky you didn't damage the strut carrier as well....£££££