knocking sounds?

remapthea3

Reaction score
Hi
not sure if correct place for post!
my a3 tdi manual is making some loud awkward noises underneath knocks and creaks and often feel a slight thump connecting to gears slightly.
Had a machanic take quick look and said the diffs gone said needs a new gearbox. Could this be another fault?
Hope not I've already ordered the gearbox!!

How many miles has it done?and if the diff has gone why does it need a new gearbox as the these are 2 different parts completely,i would get a second opinon before doing anything

Or could it be from listening the diff the machanic meant. i get a bad clunkin sound through 1st n 2nd mostlywhen turning if clutch is down no noise at all

It's front wheel drive the diff and geabox is all one thing I'm told. its definitely a major gearbox fault and have the replacement on way having new clutch fitted as well. As I understand stand it the diff is located in gearbox the noise is easily diagnosed
and there are many ways like recon ect ect

Just with the symptom of the clangin noise gone when clutch is down points to the gear box also if u rotate a wheel u get click click chain type sound coming from the area. Had two look at say same thing but nobody has taken a bolt off yet but what else can it be??

[Qcabbycmechanic hs, post: 2350835, member: 97389"]Like i said get a second opinion[/QUOTE]
Got mach
Like i said get a second opinion
I got a mechanic takin a look in 20 min

Reactions: cabbychris
[QUOTEthingcabbychris, post: 2351205, member: 97389"]what did he say then[/QUOTE]
First thing he said was flywheel mas
I daid I don't think so take for a drive and I pointed out thatthe noise is only when in 1st 2nd n reveres ect not third ect he ssid a diff bearing. So the new gearbox sorts that

Nice 1 hopefully that will cure it

Reactions: remapthea3
Nice 1 hopefully that I'll let you know
I've spent 750 already on this motor only hade 5 weeks n now another 800 just seems to be never ending. The ******* who had before me just ran into the ground