Facelift Known fault with FL RS3 - ticking exhaust valve..

I've cancelled my booking for this Sat for my dealer to look at the ticking exhaust for a few reasons;

1) Shxx weather (the snow) and I'd have drive the 15miles to my dealer thru muppet driver country. No thanks the RS is parked up safe.

2) My exhaust rattle is not too bad, it does go when you knock it in to sport on a cold start up. Does not appear to do it comfort and goes when warmed up.

3) I'm not yet convinced Audi have recognized this issue with rattling FL exhausts, and really think this will be a wasted journey, and loss of the car for who knows how long.

4) It's really not too bad I think at the moment, some on here by the sounds of it have it worse than me, although perhaps I'm going deaf in old age!, but fortunately there's a few of you guys with cars booked in for a check - let's see what transpires.....

5) I just can't be arxed !!

I agree. Until Audi do a recall then it will be a waste of time dealing with local dealerships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Until Audi do a recall then it will be a waste of time dealing with local dealerships.

That was my initial thought , wait for recall. However what worries me is I bought a new RR sport about three years ago when they had just facelifted the newer version. When the fuel was low say 1/8 tank you hear a sloshing sound while low speed manoeuvreing. I complained was told yes they were aware of the problem and their was a fix , a baffle of some kind was inserted into the tank. Problem cured. When I questioned was this a recall , they said no , they had been advised by Jag lr to do the mod if customers complained . As far as I’m aware the majority just drove around thinking it was a characteristic of the car, or maybe just never noticed. Their was a technical notice issued to service departments but it was never a recall. My point is from this experience If it’s not safety related I’m not convinced that manufacturers do what I would consider the right thing. Hope I’m wrong. It is down to each dealer of course luckily in the jag lr situation I was dealing with technicians who were on the ball and didn’t just give the answer that having plugged it in their were no faults so be a good boy and go home .

I used to have a 2014 mk7 golf r and the turbo blown on it, vw replaced it under warranty and I found out later that vw had made four revisions of the turbo because it was known to be a common fault in the first mk7 golf r's. But vw didn't do a recall they just replaced the turbo for the revised one for any one who had this happen to them.

I dont expect they will make it a recall

That was my initial thought , wait for recall. However what worries me is I bought a new RR sport about three years ago when they had just facelifted the newer version. When the fuel was low say 1/8 tank you hear a sloshing sound while low speed manoeuvreing. I complained was told yes they were aware of the problem and their was a fix , a baffle of some kind was inserted into the tank. Problem cured. When I questioned was this a recall , they said no , they had been advised by Jag lr to do the mod if customers complained . As far as I’m aware the majority just drove around thinking it was a characteristic of the car, or maybe just never noticed. Their was a technical notice issued to service departments but it was never a recall. My point is from this experience If it’s not safety related I’m not convinced that manufacturers do what I would consider the right thing. Hope I’m wrong. It is down to each dealer of course luckily in the jag lr situation I was dealing with technicians who were on the ball and didn’t just give the answer that having plugged it in their were no faults so be a good boy and go home .

I understand where you're coming from.
They will be definetly looking at it but unless it gets any worse it will be at it's first service which is now only 6months away.

They won’t recall for exhausts no chance on earth, only recall for safety faults.

Won’t be an issue getting the new backboxes!

In a few days ago for the new silencer to be fitted (Part 8V5253181CP) under TPI2048256/3.

Seems like this has removed (or greatly reduced) the start up rattle. Before and after video below. Interested in feedback.

(note similar time of morning, temp, etc)

Also, new software loaded for CEL issue - ok so far (but will monitor carefully).

Before

After

That is a massive difference mate can not hear it at all now.

Reactions: Terminator x
It makes a massive difference but I think I can still hear the ticking. Anyway, great improvement. Let's see if mine comes with the original or the new one.

Audi have heard the rattle from my car, waiting for their actual diagnosis which will come tomorrow apparently as long as they are open.

Still rattles on cold start.

Just as bad? I’ve noticed the after videos on here still present a slight ticking noise. Really anxiously waiting to see what aftermarket exhausts are on offer and how they will perform.

Are you waiting till there is a proper known fix before losing any more time in the car?

Second vid (after) just has the cat heating engine mode noise in my opinion, it goes once the engine comes out of cat heat and into high idle. Compared to the first video ( where there is a clear rattling) it is quieter.

The cat heat noise won't go without changing the mapping and is a characteristic of the car and emissions regs.

Reactions: KKOG, boltor and AudiNutta
Second vid (after) just has the cat heating engine mode noise in my opinion, it goes once the engine comes out of cat heat and into high idle. Compared to the first video ( where there is a clear rattling) it is quieter.

The cat heat noise won't go without changing the mapping and is a characteristic of the car and emissions regs.
Agreed. The 'rattle' noise has definitely gone. The remainder is a characteristic.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta
How long did it take them to get the replacement exhaust in

How long did it take them to get the replacement exhaust in

I don’t know if they have yet, it’s been there since Wednesday and I still don’t know if they are replacing it even.

Got a call today (Day 5) sat in Audi.

They have agreed a backbox, BUTTTT... it’s on back order. They told me 3 weeks ago it would be ordered in advance, oh well.

Can’t really collect until Thursday this week, but I think I’m going to rush and pick it up before I start work at 10:30 tomorrow... I’m on pins with it sat at Audi!!

Have to book it in again for another full day :(

Reactions: DW81

They have agreed a backbox, BUTTTT... it’s on back order. They told me 3 weeks ago it would be ordered in advance, oh well.

Can’t really collect until Thursday this week, but I think I’m going to rush and pick it up before I start work at 10:30 tomorrow... I’m on pins with it sat at Audi!!

Have they mentioned your valves being unplugged?

I think I am going to wait until it is clearly a new part, Don't want to be without her only get her back with the same issues. Also unlike most, shifting my car into S makes no difference, the only way I can make the noise go away is to wait for the 20 seconds, or blip the throttle.

I also think I am getting flaky paint now too!! Albeit she does need a clean, so might be all good :)

Well that’s a start now mate.
Your get your car there the day they are going to fit it and they have not go any locking nuts for the exhaust flanges mate :tearsofjoy:

Audinutta is;

5E8ADFCB D741 4D96 A156 C3497202AB12

Reactions: KKOG, Ed_rx7 and Behind The Bins
Micheal Douglas at his best when he use to make great films.

Collected my car today after Audi replaced the exhaust rear section under warranty (based in the middle east). Sorry, I don't have any part numbers to verify if it indeed is a new/updated part. Haven't had a chance to try a cold start but the sound in general is a definite improvement, I can only describe it as "clearer"...and i'm hopeful the dreaded cold start ticking has reduced in volume at the very least

Reactions: AudiNutta and DW81
I ordered the milltek exhaust today so will be delivered for the end of March. So thankfully I’ll be getting rid of my horrible 24/7 ticking noise :sunglasses:

Have they mentioned your valves being unplugged?

I think I am going to wait until it is clearly a new part, Don't want to be without her only get her back with the same issues. Also unlike most, shifting my car into S makes no difference, the only way I can make the noise go away is to wait for the 20 seconds, or blip the throttle.

I also think I am getting flaky paint now too!! Albeit she does need a clean, so might be all good :)

Sh, they were never unplugged. ;)

The price of the new backbox is £1384.20 and should be in within the next 10 days or so, waiting for a call with a list of dates to take it back. Really want it done now I’ve heard it will sound better overall.

One of douglas’s best mate check it out.
I imagine this will be you if Audi repair your car and it still as the rattle :tearsofjoy:

Sh, they were never unplugged. ;)

The price of the new backbox is £1384.20 and should be in within the next 10 days or so, waiting for a call with a list of dates to take it back. Really want it done now I’ve heard it will sound better overall.

Good news if they never detected they were done mate... I’m guessing you’ll be doing the same to the new exhaust too

After mine gets detailed in the weekend I’ll be fitting the deletes and spacers

Good news if they never detected they were done mate... I’m guessing you’ll be doing the same to the new exhaust too

After mine gets detailed in the weekend I’ll be fitting the deletes and spacers

Have you also got the ticking exhaust mate

Have you also got the ticking exhaust mate

*Touch-wood not yet... there is a very faint ticking but I’ve had a good listen from the back and it’s hardly anything

Have you? I’m just monitoring what’s happening with others and if we get 100% confirmation it’s a modified part then I’ll enquiry about it

Reactions: zaka7
*Touch-wood not yet... there is a very faint ticking but I’ve had a good listen from the back and it’s hardly anything

Have you? I’m just monitoring what’s happening with others and if we get 100% confirmation it’s a modified part then I’ll enquiry about it
No ticking for me... yet!

Reactions: Phil3