ko4 upgrade

Jonty8l

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and want to start with this.

I am going to get an a3 8l quattro sport in the next few weeks, plan on gradually upgrading it, however had a brainway (or not but let's see), would it be wise (or stupid) to get a ko4 swapped into it first so i'm prepped for future upgrades? Was planning on going the route of handling first i.e tyres, coilover etc etc first then moving to power but if I wouldn't need to change any stock internals I don't see why not future proof the car and put a ko4 on it with a map to match immedately? Anyone done this before or have knowledge that could help!

Any help is appreciated cheers!

You would need more than just the turbo to swap you would have to get injectors and maybe the downpipe aswell it all depends what you want to spend and what your power goal is have a look I. The search tab a few have done the ko4 swap so you will know what’s needed

You would need more than just the turbo to swap you would have to get injectors and maybe the downpipe aswell it all depends what you want to spend and what your power goal is have a look I. The search tab a few have done the ko4 swap so you will know what’s needed

I had looked a few forum posts and seem a fair bit of misinformation about the swaps and others, like yourself saying its not that simple so may stick to my original plan and do power last. looked at ko4 and ko3s hybrids but seems a ko4 is the most obvious thing to do. Cheers!

Hybrid will mean stripping the engine and fitting rods which can be expensive if you can’t do it yourself, that’s why it’s all down to power goal /price

Still not sure whether to tune the ko3s/hybird ko3s or go straight to a ko4 when the time comes really. Seems silly in my mind to spend £ on a inferior turbo I will swap anyway.

Hybrid will mean stripping the engine and fitting rods which can be expensive if you can’t do it yourself, that’s why it’s all down to power goal /price

Planning on really taking my time, saving the money and having it all done properly really. Accepted it'll be a long process but I've promised myself (Lets hope! haha) I won't skimp on parts

Power goal, I guess around the 300 mark

Once you go Ko4 hybrid with all the other engine mods , exhaust, wmi, Intercooler, intake pipe and all that your talking £5k+ depending if your handy with the tools and anything around 300 mark you should be changing the rods

Ko3 and ko3s hybrids don’t know what the power is with those never looked at them

I've read its also worth looking at gt28 turbos as well as another alternative. Aye 5k is do able, I plan on really taking my time and upgrading it month to month saving my £ hopefully. I've specifically picked out a low mileage 1 owner example to work on to minimise potential issues and so its a really nice modified example eventually.

I would personally save your money, do the handling and tinkering, get the car running 100% and enjoy it, getting your hands dirty in the mean time.

Then depending on your power goals, change the internals needed to support those goals.

£5-6k for a hybrid build 300-380bhp

£7+ for anything above that really.

Reactions: Tj 0785
I would personally save your money, do the handling and tinkering, get the car running 100% and enjoy it, getting your hands dirty in the mean time.

Then depending on your power goals, change the internals needed to support those goals.

£5-6k for a hybrid build 300-380bhp

£7+ for anything above that really.

Are you talking hybrid ko3s here or ko4 hybrid ?

I'd be happy with the 300 range honestly.

K04 Hybrid bud, I’m currently running a AET-380 from Badger5 producing 382bhp...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your only real price difference would be the price of the turbo,

Shameless plug there haha that would be a good buy a year old well looked after car there’s saving to be made getting 2nd hand, if I read right it’s not available with the exhaust manifold anymore

Haha has to be done, twisting the arm of others and all that

yeah don’t think Badger5 are doing the manifolds now, weather this is down to supply or as I suspect to many man hours having to be put into them.

I’m sure it won’t be hard to sell on,Looking forward to seeing your stroker build with g30 900, I would of like to go aitp with mine this year but all the Covid **** has put that to bed while wait till next year hopefully with the same turbo

Haha well if I'm in the market for a full kit next year I'll know who to call meant to be collecting at some point next few weeks so hopefully Corona nonsense will have settled down

Reactions: S3AMJ
I’m sure it won’t be hard to sell on,Looking forward to seeing your stroker build with g30 900, I would of like to go aitp with mine this year but all the Covid **** has put that to bed while wait till next year hopefully with the same turbo

Likewise mate, was gonna do a few track days this year and AITP. Let’s all come back better and stronger next year including our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tj 0785