Kraft to close cadburys!

If you read it, it was actually Cadbury's that decided to close it before the takeover. Kraft just agreed that it would be unfeasable to keep it open...

If you read it, it was actually Cadbury's that decided to close it before the takeover. Kraft just agreed that it would be unfeasable to keep it open...

Yes cadburys did make the first decision but kraft based its takeover on possibly keeping it open and promising people their jobs, something they have no turned their backs on.:tocktock:

So effectivly kraft have closed it down of their own accord.

Last edited:
But then there's no point keeping open a plant that's financially unstable. Eventually it'd suck so much money out of the company the whole thing would be sunk. Besides which, nothing is final until the papers are signed, Kraft could promise too give every single employee a bar of gold bullion as part of their bid. Doesn't mean that have to follow through on it.

Business is business!

Not in the least bit surprised. Look at Terry's. Kraft took over, same promises, closed within a year with 100-1000s job losses. Glad I got out to see the factory in Birmingham before the takeover.

Not in the least bit surprised. Look at Terry's. Kraft took over, same promises, closed within a year with 100-1000s job losses. Glad I got out to see the factory in Birmingham before the takeover.

I thought Nestle owned Terry's?

But then there's no point keeping open a plant that's financially unstable. Eventually it'd suck so much money out of the company the whole thing would be sunk. Besides which, nothing is final until the papers are signed, Kraft could promise too give every single employee a bar of gold bullion as part of their bid. Doesn't mean that have to follow through on it.

Business is business!

I never said they would follow it through, im simply pointing out the issue here, which is that of false promises being made to secure a deal.

We all knew it would happen yes, but that really isnt the point.

If Cadburys had taken over a French or German company and then closed down an unprofitable factory I doubt many of us would complain. Kraft are just like any other business in this world, there to make a profit for its owners/shareholders.

The real failure here is Cadburys greedy board of directors who approved the takeover so they would get a fat pay off and the greedy shareholders who wanted a bit of fast cash, I mean Cadburys is pretty much an 'institution' and was a successful one so why did we let it get bought out in the first place? Try going over to Germany and buying out one of their engineering companies isnt gonna happen in a million years because they look after their own and buy German everytime.

Its like whenever something similiar happens the news always reports Trade Minister Mandelson is having talks with such and such etc etc he never accomplish's anything the guys like most Labour politicians i.e. as much use as tits on a fish!

I thought Nestle owned Terry's?

"Terry's was a chocolate and confectionery maker in York, England. Its history stretched back to 1823,[1] but in 1993 it was taken over by Kraft Foods. The York factory closed in 2005 and Terry's products are now produced in Poland."

Its like whenever something similiar happens the news always reports Trade Minister Mandelson is having talks with such and such etc etc he never accomplish's anything the guys like most Labour politicians i.e. as much use as tits on a fish!

MG Rover...

A failing company bailed out by the Government will still be a failing company once the Government money runs out. The reason it failed was because they never produced any new models just tweaked old ones (I mean *** they never even changed the interiors) and the board of directors where greedy incompetent idiots.
Yes it sucks balls that so many people lost jobs, but rather then looking for hand outs changes should have been made. The Governement should have nationaised the company, sacked all the directors and brought in troubleshooters to treat the cause not the symptoms...

The only problem with this post is that it ignores history - Rover used to be part of British Leyland, a company which was run into the ground by Government incompetence when THEY ran it

They're not actually getting shot of Cadburys completely, just Somerdale, which isn't far from me.

I feel for all the workers, I know 1 person who works there.

Kraft is a typical, faceless, blameless corporation.

The only problem with this post is that it ignores history - Rover used to be part of British Leyland, a company which was run into the ground by Government incompetence when THEY ran it

Yeah Liebour the dam fools, you know we shoulda got someone in that REALLY knows how to run a car company like maybe zee Germans oh no wait we tried that nevermind.....

This is true. Slight oversight on my part! (To be fair though, I'm not actaully old enough to remeber BL...)