Help Please Laboured engine, Miss-fire, Hesitation? and strange noise at 1200 rpm to idle.

Stheaker

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My first post so please be gentle even though I have been a member since 2005 :)

I have a 2008 A4 2.0 TDI Avant 143 which has developed in the last few weeks with some problems. I am not sure if they are related but the car was in Audi months ago for a brake fluid change.
My problem is when driving in any gear at around 1200 rpm when I accelerate and not even hard I get a judder, hesitation from the engine as if I was in the wrong gear labouring the engine and the change down indicator on the dash is not illuminated. Even on a flat gradient if you set off in first and then release all pedals for the engine to take the drive it judders like a miss-fire.

I have a strange noise when I rev the engine to around 1200 rpm and let it return to idle. I have uploaded a video if someone can give me some direction to help, please

Now, this is the strange problem, when I ask for power in 3rd 4th or higher, before the turbo fully spins up it sounds like a large amount of air is either needed, leaking or lag before the turbo kicks in. I will try to record this tomorrow to explain better but you can see from the video, it has all of a sudden coated in dust in the engine bay. Maybe a leak but who knows.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help.

Simon

Sounds like a exhaust clatter :blush:

Something may have snapped or crack.

Great, would this explain the sudden gush of air when accelerating in 3rd 4th ext plus the lumpy drive at 1200rmp do you think?

I do now have a clonking noise from the steering column more now which was a common fault in the early builds as the exhaust was so close and the shielding was not up to scratch.

Great, would this explain the sudden gush of air when accelerating in 3rd 4th ext plus the lumpy drive at 1200rmp do you think?
Could be but just guess work could be something else best get into garage for proper diagnosis :thumbs up: