Lag - Delay - Hesitation

Not completely sure it is for all zf hp8 gearboxes, from what I understand it is for more recent models, such as your s4...

It will sort it 100% .

You are going to love it , I read and watched so many reviews and set to 'Race 9' and loose the ( although minuscule ) controller .

Don't forget to set the side switch .

Oh and open the drivers door and leave for 10 mins before unplugging to let the Canbus calm down .

Well I can update this thread, unfortunately without anything resembling a fix, however I can dispel some of the supposed fixes !

so being frustrated with the gearbox / throttle lag I bought myself a sprint booster with the intention of giving it a the benefit of the doubt ! I say that because I already suspected that the fbw throttle wasn’t the cause .... anyway, it came, I plugged in and played .........

The result- sure more immediate throttle response, which some may appreciate, but personally I think I can mash the pedal into the carpet fast enough already if needs be.
However - regardless of the increased responsiveness of the accelerator pedal the gearbox still takes an age to fully engage.... the sprint booster does nothing to alleviate the slow speed of lock-up of the gear boxes clutch packs.
The most worrisome thing about the sprint booster is the negative effects it has of the drivability of the gearbox /car. there are two main problems:
1) after slowing down for a roundabout etc. the Car retains too high a gear . I kept finding that instead of exiting a roundabout in say 3rd gear, as the car did before the SB , I’d find the gearbox was still in 5 or even 6th gear !!! Meaning a manual flip of the paddles to get the correct gear to pull away.
2) The increased sensitivity of the accelerator pedal causes twitches or light presses of the accelerator to act like a kick down movement. Even a toe reposition on the pedal during a long drive was enough to cause a Fantom shift from 8th to 6th ....

all in all I’m dissatisfied with the SB as a fix - tomorrow it gets unplugged and returned ..... think I’ll be waiting for a proper gearbox tune ...

Well I can update this thread, unfortunately without anything resembling a fix, however I can dispel some of the supposed fixes !

so being frustrated with the gearbox / throttle lag I bought myself a sprint booster with the intention of giving it a the benefit of the doubt ! I say that because I already suspected that the fbw throttle wasn’t the cause .... anyway, it came, I plugged in and played .........

The result- sure more immediate throttle response, which some may appreciate, but personally I think I can mash the pedal into the carpet fast enough already if needs be.
However - regardless of the increased responsiveness of the accelerator pedal the gearbox still takes an age to fully engage.... the sprint booster does nothing to alleviate the slow speed of lock-up of the gear boxes clutch packs.
The most worrisome thing about the sprint booster is the negative effects it has of the drivability of the gearbox /car. there are two main problems:
1) after slowing down for a roundabout etc. the Car retains too high a gear . I kept finding that instead of exiting a roundabout in say 3rd gear, as the car did before the SB , I’d find the gearbox was still in 5 or even 6th gear !!! Meaning a manual flip of the paddles to get the correct gear to pull away.
2) The increased sensitivity of the accelerator pedal causes twitches or light presses of the accelerator to act like a kick down movement. Even a toe reposition on the pedal during a long drive was enough to cause a Fantom shift from 8th to 6th ....

all in all I’m dissatisfied with the SB as a fix - tomorrow it gets unplugged and returned ..... think I’ll be waiting for a proper gearbox tune ...

Which engine do you have?

I have a mapped 272 also have a tmc motorsport gearbox tune and dtuk pedal box. It works together so well and there isn't much lag.

Car is also really driveable

Its so worth considering a gearbox tune, really firms up the gear changes and changes the whole feel of the car

Reactions: Gazwould
If you were driving a manual would you roll into it in top gear? I suspect the answer is no.
Approaching such situations is it too hard to paddle down a couple of gears or to select Sport mode?
That said I find the V6 S4 has no such issue - perhaps the DTUK ECU relationship may have some impact.

Dingah

So this is in the V6 S4

Dingah- my point was that previously the car did a good job of selecting the appropriate gear related to speed in order that I didn’t have to toggle gears manually.... with SB fitted the car doesn’t respond as nicely

If I’m on a flyer then I always drive completely manual in Dynamic/sport mode - but when I’m just driving around town, it just stays in auto.

Sorry to hear that the SB only improved throttle response for you , I've got none of those negative issues you speak of , only positives and the best £195 I've spent on a car in a long time , it really must be on a individual car type basis but great they have a 30 day satisfaction return .

Yes a gearbox flash tune is the only option for you now , but they can be equally as controversial , it'll either work or it won't .

Why not talk to dtuk before giving up..

I hade SB and wasn't impressed. No big difference it made. When you put rpm to 1k and then change the mode on SB it increases the rpm not as much of a response increases. This is why I decided to return within return time. The sellers wasn't happy about it but I am not willing to spend money on a unit which bearley improve.
Audi. Mhm spoke with them about my issues and they said to bring car in and pay £180. They will check and then will tell me if there is any software updates for the car That is just bad. By providing details of my car they should be able to tell me if there's an update or no. I should need to pay to them to tell me that yes there's one and then pay additional....

I feel your pain. I like the car but this just makes not fun to drive and sometimes I feel that I have 1.4l instead of 3.0l.
Did you manage to fully fix your car now ?

I’d recommend a APR tune,
The lag and hesitation thing is much much better, plus the stupid stop start this is defaulted to off ! Plus a little more performance always helps !

Reactions: Gazwould
I’d recommend a APR tune,
The lag and hesitation thing is much much better, plus the stupid stop start this is defaulted to off ! Plus a little more performance always helps !
I have stop/start disabled. I have remap too but there's still lag and delay. It's great when just had remap. After it go's like before but not as bad. There must be a way to tune the throttle response somehow

All in the throttle pedal developer coding .

Strange experience you had with the SB .

Sprint booster was terrible.... couldn’t wait to get it out of the car! No idea what APR have done to address the the gearbox / throttle lag problem, but whatever it was, it’s good !

Unusual experience...

Screenshot 20210405 214921 Chrome

Screenshot 20210405 201059 Chrome

Screenshot 20210403 122822 Chrome

Screenshot 20210403 121750 Chrome

Screenshot 20210319 085730 Chrome

20201130 205208

20201130 205114

2020 06 04 160827

Yeah yeah I dont care how much you want to promote and blow smoke up the a** of SB, all I can say is it absolutely didn’t fix the issue I had and actually made the drivability of the car worse.
I wouldn’t recommend it ....

Fair enough , very much the minority .

I understand when and why they don't work in a situation individual to a cars set up , but not to work when there is a pronounced lag is strange as that is their primary cause for it's design .

As is the DTUK pedal box with which some have felt improvement .

But there's so many different set ups and individualalities , I remember two 2.0 tdi around 4 years age difference , Q3 and Q5 both with S-tronic and one had pronounced throttle lag and the other didn't .

It's no secret the more dedicated Audi tunes also go into the throttle pedal developer coding and tcu and I strongly suspect it was a tcu software issue in your situation that the APR tune made good .

Sprint booster was terrible.... couldn’t wait to get it out of the car! No idea what APR have done to address the the gearbox / throttle lag problem, but whatever it was, it’s good !
How much cost ? What work have you had done ? Ecu and gearbox remap?

APR stage one tune for S4 is £1200 quid ....
remap & optimised for 99ron
Extra bhp and torque
Hesitation / lag removal
Left foot braking added
Start stop disabled
Speed limiter removal

How many miles have you done with that remap ? What you think was worth to spend this much ?

Erm maybe 8,000 now .... that’s 4 months worth of driving. Definitely worth it, makes a world of difference to the car... it’s hard to explain but the S4 always felt compromised in terms of performance, and now , well it isn’t ! APR say it’s 440bhp , I haven’t had it on the Dyno but I’d say that if feels about that ...

That is good. Shame that audi let cars like that go out from the factory. Like a lot people say it is turbo lag but like for my car I have 2 turbos. The small one suppose to reduce that.

I still thinking maybe go for more power. Make a straight through exhaust and get better intercooler, but my main issue is to fix the slow response on the start.

Yes it's hard to explain that laziness of the car. Took bit of time to prove that to my brother. I gave him to drive it and in the beginning he said it's okay but after few more stops and stars he noticed that to. He has a6 bitdi. I need to try his car now and see if his car has that too
I tried to do some search but I can't find that someone else would have issue with there bitdi. A lot people have this issue with 3.0 tdi and 3.0