Latest Concert/Symphony II + MP3 CD players

GeoffT

Reaction score
As I patiently :jump: await the arrival of my A3 sportback (4 weeks to go), I wonder if any owners of the latest spec Concert or Symphony MP3 CD players can answer some questions about it, so that I can have the CDs ready to go from Day 1

Can it play playlist files? If so what format?

Can it handle directories?

What details does it display? Folder name? File name? ID3 tag?

With the symphony, can you allocate names to the 6 different CDs or are they just numbered 1-6?

Thanks in advance

I can anwer some of your questions

The ID3 tags (v2.3) are displayed, you can scroll through the track name, artist and album name.

Directories are supported, but I have only tried directories directly of root.

Directory names are shown when you browse the CD

Chris.

No - if I want playlists I use the ipod interface ;-)

Chris...

I'm pretty sure (99%) it doesn't handle any form of playlist sorry :( It will handle directories (up to 8 deep I believe, but they recommend a max of 2 deep to help with loading times). The display can show you the file name, or the title, artist name or album name from the ID3 tag. With the Symphony, when you select the Changer button, each MP3 CD will be labelled 'MP3', and each normal CD will be labelled 'CD'. I haven't seen anything to suggest you can label individual discs, but if someone else knows a way I'd love to know! Once you select an MP3 CD, you can then browse through each album on the disc by album name, and then browse through the songs on an album by song name.

Thanks Alan,

Certainly would be nice if the MP3 CDs could be named (or it could read the disc name burned to CD) to make them easier to identify. I presume that, on the Symphony, each CD/MP3 label appears next to one of the 6 "soft" keys?

RogueElement said:
Anybody know how many directories you can have in root?
Can't remember seeing a limit, all I remember seeing is a limit of directories being nested no more than 8 deep. Mind you, I doubt you'd want that many in root anyway, seeing as you can only really fit about 14 albums on a CD anyway.

As a related follow-up. My CD-changer doesn't seem to play MP3's, but the head-unit does. Do some models don't have the mp3 functionality?

I have the Symphony, placed in an -07 S3.

I think I found it. It seems like only the Symphony with integrated disc changer has the mp3 compatibility, while if you have the sat nav system with external cd changer you don't have the mp3 compatibility for the changer. Can anyone confirm?

None of the external CD changers have MP3 compatibility, it's only the head units themselves. You can plug an external device like an iPod or other MP3 player through the CD changer socket though using a suitable adapter.

Sorry, thicko question here.....

Will my concert (car is a week old so latest one) play MP3 CD's?

EDIT - Blow me backwards! The manual says it does!

I purchased an iPod kit for my new Audi from www.xcarlink.co.uk

The adapter connects direclty to the CD changer port for CD quality sound and control of the iPod playlists through the stereo. It even allows you to connect your CD changer (if you have one) which is great as as far as I understand the other kits on the market force you to loose the CD changer.

They also do a MP3/USB version