Latest VW Golf R vs S3 8V

kwistof

South East Events Moderator
Reaction score
New Golf R -VW Golf R official - PistonHeads

New Audi S3 8V -

Audi S3: Driven - PistonHeads

Now what gets me is the Haldex units.....seems as though when the Golf R comes out it will already have 1 up over the S3 -

Golf R -

The fifth-gen Haldex 4WD system decouples the rear axle at low speeds or under light loads to boost economy. VW claims the electro-hydraulic system can apportion 'almost 100 per cent' of the power to the rear wheels in fractions of a second when required.

S3 8V-

There's still the same plentiful grip from the Haldex style Quattro system, here set up with a 95:5 front/rear bias, making it to all intents and purposes a front driver under full-friction conditions. The system can divert up to 50 per cent of the power to the rear wheels, after which point the ESC starts to cut in and brake the front wheels.

So I expect we will have to wait until a new RS3 comes out for this Haldex to be adopted into an Audi hot hatch

They should both be the same system, just different testers with different information perhaps?, unless VAG can specify how they want the Haldex to react for different applications?

How ****ing boring do they both look.
I like 8v styling, not into the mk7 golf tho, but in terms of any 'wow' or sport factor they both have 0

Reactions: RedDejavu
They should both be the same system, just different testers with different information perhaps?, unless VAG can specify how they want the Haldex to react for different applications?

Yeah I was thinking they should have the same system as well and from a lot of people's point of view that would be a huge selling point - who wouldn't want a Haldex that can give you near 100% rear wheel drive in a hatchback.

I expect it is what ever the companies ask from Haldex though- I mean the new A45 AMG uses a Haldex system...but the designers of the A45 say it's different than any other Haldex used in hatchbacks....e.g VAG stuff.

Totally agree Karl - not many new cars from the VAG line give out the 'wow' factor to me which is a shame as that's what I thought the S/R/RS versions should give :(

Yeah I was thinking they should have the same system as well and from a lot of people's point of view that would be a huge selling point - who wouldn't want a Haldex that can give you near 100% rear wheel drive in a hatchback.

That's simply not true though!

It's not possible to have 100% rear wheel drive with the Haldex setup, 50% max! Why? Because the front transmission is connected directly to the engine, so the front wheels must spin, and the rear drive is taken from the transfer box off the gearbox.

What is possible though, is 100% of the torque(less transmission losses) can be transmitted to the rear wheels in extreme condition, like the fronts are off the ground, or the front wheels are on ice and the rears on some Tarmac.

That's simply not true though!

It's not possible to have 100% rear wheel drive with the Haldex setup, 50% max! Why? Because the front transmission is connected directly to the engine, so the front wheels must spin, and the rear drive is taken from the transfer box off the gearbox.

What is possible though, is 100% of the torque(less transmission losses) can be transmitted to the rear wheels in extreme condition, like the fronts are off the ground, or the front wheels are on ice and the rears on some Tarmac.

In the article above I read "100 per cent' of the power to the rear wheels" and assumed this would mean bhp/ps/kw.....not torque. So you would get near off the full 300bhp from the rears...

Yeah- can't see that happening, unless they are fitting a Bugatti Veyron style Haldex system in the Mk7 Golf R! lol

The Mk 7 golf and S3v look so dull! Whats going on? I'm sure they're way advanced underneath and inside than the cars they replace but please! They could have done a much better job on the design, the Mk 6 (and 5) and the 8p look so much meaner/sportier.

Maybe its just me:think:

The Mk 7 golf and S3v look so dull! Whats going on? I'm sure they're way advanced underneath and inside than the cars they replace but please! They could have done a much better job on the design, the Mk 6 (and 5) and the 8p look so much meaner/sportier.

Maybe its just me:think:

imo the 8P is looking a little dated compared to the 8V S3, the front light housing on the 8V have a defining profile as do the sides of the car with the newly introduced horizontal creases, the piercing new LED tube DRL's which IMO look more menacing than that of my 8P, quad exhausts perhaps suggest more sportier presence than 2? the new rear spoiler appears to be more aerodynamic compared with that of its predecessor, the rear LED lights and housing also appear to be more visually striking? Overall the new 8V looks trimmer, less rounded and sharper...i think that is obvious for all to see.

I think its a close call in a head to head,toss a coin.

The video is ok to watch, but can't help thinking why they didn't get the R32 sideways in any of the shots? The driver is suppose to be a rally driver ***! :racer:
Its an advert not a Ken Block video besides it would not look good with the rear allover the place when its 4WD Joe
And its an R not a R32 ;)

How ****ing boring do they both look.
I like 8v styling, not into the mk7 golf tho, but in terms of any 'wow' or sport factor they both have 0

I have to agree with you here. I am 100% VAG loyal but these are lacking the wow factor. Some people like the plain styling so people are surprised when they see it perform, but it is just not for me. I can imagine they are both amazing machines. Would I have one for the price they will be asking for? Probably not. This is more like what I was hoping for styling wise:

The ABT tuning program for the new Audi A3