Launch control and glorious sounds

MBK

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Finally some good weather and a chance to test my repaired Go Pro Hero 3 camera. What better way than some launch control video accompanied by some exhaust up and downshift noise from as close to source as possible.

Early on a quiet Sunday morning the road and Pilot Super Sports were warm and these were some of the quickest launches I've seen so far, all under 4.2s. The noise the 5 pot makes is pure thunder with the upshift 'buuurrpp' and downshift throttle blip just adding to that special quattro experience.

As always the RS3 remains great fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CHEZ and T-800
Under 4.2s to 60? What were you using to time MBK?

A Racelogic PerformanceBox linked to the cameras via Harry's lap timer app, they all work perfectly together (you can see the setup I use for the track on a few of my videos). The GPS sensors are pretty accurate as long as the signal is constant and up in the mountains it generally is. I will see if I can put up a video with the 0-60 overlays on. 4.2 is pretty much the norm, 4.3 when it's a bit colder and today we were much closer to 4.1s with warm tyres and road.

That is SUPER quick!

I feel a bit lucky this coming week, get to use mine for work as my van is in getting wrapped :)

Might reconsider shifting it on come Friday!

Thanks, the joy of launch control, you know what you are going to get every time!

I think it's good when you get to use the RS3 as a contrast, it reminds you how capable it is. What are you thinking of moving it on for, if anything?

Reactions: JPK
Toying with the idea of an RS5, but my criteria of spec and colour is strict!

Still not made my mind us as to whether to sell or not yet though.........

I can see, or should that be hear, the appeal of the big V8. It was a lot of fun chasing the instructor in an RS5 around Oulton Park on the new RS4 launch day. The noise is certainly at another level though I didn't think there was that much extra performance over the RS3 and they drive remarkably similarly.

I like to change my cars regularly too though so I'd fully understand if you did, sometimes a change is a good thing. In terms of spec I'd certainly want the ceramic brakes they were just incredible.

I can see, or should that be hear, the appeal of the big V8. It was a lot of fun chasing the instructor in an RS5 around Oulton Park on the new RS4 launch day. The noise is certainly at another level though I didn't think there was that much extra performance over the RS3 and they drive remarkably similarly.

I like to change my cars regularly too though so I'd fully understand if you did, sometimes a change is a good thing. In terms of spec I'd certainly want the ceramic brakes they were just incredible.

The problem with the RS5 is the same as the RS3 though, only ever circa 20 cars for sale in the UK, I've personally never seen one pop up with ceramics!

I'm just going to bide my time for the right spec/colour combo to pop up, I love the RS3 and am in no rush to shift in on thankfully :)

Omg ,my first launch in the rs3 ,now thats fast ,was not expecting that ,slowed right down ,stoped in a quiet long road ,then went for it ,,legs where like jelly after that lol

Reactions: Mr_Freeze and MBK
It's great fun isn't it! Even though I know what's going to happen now I'm still shocked by the instant traction. I love the way the rear of the RS3 squats down as you hold the brake and the system holds the 3.3k revs. Then as you release the brake boom, instantaneous grip and you just rocket forward, no wheel spin or loss of momentum just ferocious traction. Then the seamless shifts kick in and well to this day I'm amazed how quickly the speed builds. I'll never forget the first time I experienced launch in my 3.2 DSG TT Roadster but the RS3 takes the whole experience to a new level.

Mark honestly i had to slow down a bit ,was not expecting that at all ..exactally that the grip and boom ,like a rocket ,i got out the car to go to aldi for lots of juice ,and i was shaking ,no joke ..i had a chance on the shap road to check it out and wow amazing....

How is you do the launch now? is it different after the software update? Still to test the launch on mine

Ice _cube please do it ,it really does show what a piece of art the rs3 really is...

I can't comment on the update it seems mine didn't need it. From what I've seen most people say it's pretty much the same.

Here you go, for those interested in the difference removing the secondary bypass cats make, some very similar video to make a direct comparison. You will hear more of Hiss on acceleration and a deeper rasp toward the top of the rev range.

I'm always amazed how unconnected people have the same idea on the same day, this video was posted up yesterday at about the same time as mine.

Reactions: ColeyRS3 and 45bvtc
Ha...Love your vids Mark. Makes me want to go out and drive more!

Can't believe some of you Guys haven't launched or don't launch more often.
Guess it maybe difficult due to location. DSG was a big selling point for me.
Enjoy!

Thanks Garry that's the idea, I enjoy making these little videos too! We do have the roads for it out here.

Launch, the S button, Sport mode and ESP off are what the RS3 is all about.

Location for me garry as every where is full of tourists (lakedistrict) ..

Mark i will have to come and visit you one day so you can put those fancy cam's etc on mine and we can get an exact comparison on the same roads, only difference been the Bypass pipes.

Reactions: MBK
That's a great idea Neil, we will have to set that up, direct side by side, same conditions, same camera etc and we can measure the actual db gain (I do like a bit of science) as well as the subjective difference. For the money it has to be one of the best mods for those who want better sounds at minimal cost.

Reactions: Mr_Freeze
I feel a mini meet coming on.
Cars, camera's and science, now if only we could include guns and hot women i could die happy :hubbahubba:

Not me Neil, it's cycling weather...

babes-on-bicycles-5_zps9ce1425e.jpg

Reactions: S., wickedstef and Mr_Freeze
The video of the Black one above is mine! Haha!

Cool, it's sounding good, your video popped up alongside mine when I uploaded it, seems we both had the same idea this weekend!

Here is another shot of launch control, with the on screen data, 4.2s is the standard time I see with standard power and Michelin Super Sport tyres.

Reactions: dbm