Launch control s3

I was in the car today switching modes in drive select and looking at the DIS this is what I saw for gears:

Efficiency mode = E1, E2, E3, E4, E5, E6
Auto = D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6
Dynamic = S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6

Forgot to look at Comfort mode, but it seems Dynamic mode already puts it into 'S' mode so no need to put it down in S mode (again) if already in dynamic mode

It is pretty impressive when you feel this for the first time ! I was quite taken back when I first used the LC. It does say in the manual that it can cause excessive wear to parts of the vehicle, so I imagine if used often this might become an issue further down the line, but comparing wear and tear to those who have never used it won't be reliably possible for a while yet until people crank up some serious mileage in these cars!

Everything is explained in the handbook, for people who have had issues with the car not reving above 1200rpm, providing your engine is warm and your wheel is pretty straight and as mentioned, you properly depress each pedal when required, I have only experienced this once and the only thing I had done differently was holding the ESC button until you get the message, ESC OFF on your drivers information screen. The manual says you need only briefly press the button to get the usual 'Sport - restricted stability' warning, which I did the next time round and all was good!

Efficiency mode also has E for when it's free wheeling and engine is at idle

Well I tried on the way in to work today but couldn't get it to go up past 1200rpm.
Engine was never warm though (i hasten to add that I wasn't going to launch it cold, was just trying to see if it would get past 1200 and therefore would launch :p) so that may be another limiting factor on launching.

Either that or my car had enough of it yesterday and doesn't want to do it again lol :jester::jester:

How did you get on at Crail? Did you get some times?

Looked like a good turnout

Came 6th overall mate!! Was well pleased. Best time was 12.252!

Times are up on the site now :)

Came 6th overall mate!! Was well pleased. Best time was 12.252!

Times are up on the site now :)

That's good going

Did you try different maps or just stick to 3 +3. Would be good to see if there is a difference against the old 3 +3 .I will need to get back there to try some more times when I get back onshore, the best I got was 12.6 (old 3+3)

Cheers.
No just ran 3+3 did do one run with the box out and got a 12.6 as standard :)

Mines is on the old maps, haven't had the box updated. Want to get it on the rollers with and without the box and see what it's pushing out!!

Cheers.
No just ran 3+3 did do one run with the box out and got a 12.6 as standard :)

Mines is on the old maps, haven't had the box updated. Want to get it on the rollers with and without the box and see what it's pushing out!!

Keep it on the old map mate, that's the settings I done my 11.90 on back in September. Not convinced the 'new' settings will better that.

I've heard that. Spoke to someone with the new maps at crail and he wasn't all that impressed with the new ones!

Gutted I never beat your 11.9 tho mate :)

Keep it on the old map mate, that's the settings I done my 11.90 on back in September. Not convinced the 'new' settings will better that.

As you've said elsewhere, you're robbing Peter to pay Paul ;)

You should copy and paste your post from t'other place, it was a very good post. :)

Reactions: S3orge

I have to kind of agree with this. Initially i was very impressed with the new file, as you say more low down torque, but it does feel like it pulls slightly better at the top also. Over the few weeks i have been running the new settings i have found the new 'map 3' can get 'jerky' during gear changes under load and also coming off throttle. This is not all the time but it is something i didn't experience with the original file 3+3. This has since made me try map 2 which is slightly better, but again not as smooth as the original program 3 (now program 1). I am very tempted to return back to the original file as i was pretty happy with the performance and driveability. Very informative post from yourself on the VW forum @Leo-83

Last edited:
I have to kind of agree with this. Initially i was very impressed with the new file, as you say more low down torque, but it does feel like it pulls slightly better at the top also. Over the few weeks i have been running the new settings i have found the new 'map 3' can get 'jerky' during gear changes under load and also coming off throttle. This is not all the time but it is something i didn't experience with the original file 3+3. This has since made me try map 2 which is slightly better, but again not as smooth as the original program 3 (now program 1). I am very tempted to return back to the original file as i was pretty happy with the performance and driveability. Very informative post from yourself on the VW forum @Leo-83

I have also felt the jerky feeling when coming off the throttle and gear changes.

Interesting @RYuill , without going on about tuning boxes much more on this discussion, you have any ideas what is causing it? Anybody else experiencing this with the new file?

Reactions: RYuill
Interesting @RYuill , without going on about tuning boxes much more on this discussion, you have any ideas what is causing it? Anybody else experiencing this with the new file?

Not to sure but it's definitely only started since getting the new files

You're probably getting a slight off boost compressor surging, due to the box pushing the limits of what's possible with a tuning box.

Reactions: S3orge and RYuill
I think it's in the book under the S-Tronic section? I think you press and hold the traction control button a number of times then depress the brake and then the throttle, the revs limit at something like 3500rpm, then let go of the brake to launch!

Or something like that anyway? I will be giving it a go once fully run in lol. Ok I only have the 1.8 not an S3 but it should still give a good kick up the backside ;)

Your audi is quattro o FWD?

Bit off topic, but do all engine variants with the S Tronic gearbox have launch control?

Can't speak for all engines but the 1.4 engine definitely doesn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk