Launch Control?

elton121272

Reaction score
Just a quick question - reading through the manual to get to know her inside out......has anyone tried the launch control?

Is it safe to go into this mode and does it pose any risks to warranty - strange question I know when the car and manual offers this, but the salesman said something about limited launches although just advised me to read the manual......

Curious to know other owners comments, recommendations and experiences?

Cheers,

I'm waiting till I get 1000 miles on mine before I try.
Sport button on, ESP in sport mode, S gear selected, left foot on break,floor the throttle. Then release the break.
Its obviously designed to do it, but Vmax launches can't be good for the drivetrain.

Wonder if Vag.com loggs number of launches??

You can use launch control as many times as you want without voiding the warranty. I had a shot of a demonstartor a few months back and tried the launch a few times. The noise and feeling is amazing. The front of the car feels like its taking off.

Haven't tried it in my own one yet. I've been a good boy so far...

I'm waiting till I get 1000 miles on mine before I try.
Sport button on, ESP in sport mode, S gear selected, left foot on break,floor the throttle. Then release the break.
Its obviously designed to do it, but Vmax launches can't be good for the drivetrain.

Sounds like good advice mate - 1k miles it is......only 400 miles to go!! Never had this function before so curious more than anything???

3.7k miles on and just thought - I still haven't done this - is it simply hit 'S' button, then ESP button, then foot on brake with left foot, then right foot on accelerator (to the floor?) and then lift off on left? Does this then put traction off?

Cheers

As above i havent tried it yet and wont until theres a few more miles on the clock. I dont mind revving it and stretching its legs but draw the line at the lack of mechanical sympathy that must cause.

I'd heard three launches between services but if its not written down then thats obviously rubbish.

I initially thought it was a pointless feature but having seen how much quicker it takes off from the line i'm now converted!

It's not an RS3 but still has launch control so I had to try it in mine... ;)

I actually looked it up in the manual before doing it to see if it was in there and how you set it up. It doesn't say that it voids the warranty but does warn that there may be higher wear on parts due to the increased loads (obviously!).

Once you have some miles on it I would definitely recommend trying it, even in mine it's pretty awesome, can only imagine what it's like in your cars. ;)

I've done launch control in mine with no problems at all.

It is fast of the line.

Sometimes when you have your foot on the brake for too long it would work. So I had to take my foot off the brake, back into park, then into sport and it worked fine.

I tried launch control last week.

1st Question ! :-

What should the engine be doing just before launch ? I thought it was supposed to rev evenly at 3200rpm and then increase when you lift off the brake. Mine seemed to get bogged down and gurgle a bit around 2500rpm :blink:

2nd question !

How long a delay are people getting between lifting off the brake and the car lurching forward ?

I had it mastered in my last car - a DSG Golf R - where you did'nt need to plant your right foot down fully on the accelerator.

I tried launch control last week.

1st Question ! :-

What should the engine be doing just before launch ? I thought it was supposed to rev evenly at 3200rpm and then increase when you lift off the brake. Mine seemed to get bogged down and gurgle a bit around 2500rpm :blink:

2nd question !

How long a delay are people getting between lifting off the brake and the car lurching forward ?

I had it mastered in my last car - a DSG Golf R - where you did'nt need to plant your right foot down fully on the accelerator.

It should be stable at 3200rpm and have almost no delay in launching (like the S3 does :bye:) once you lift off. Are you sure you're doing it right? Be sure to step on the brake hard while doing it...that's where most seem to get it wrong if they've followed the right process.

Yeah, mine launches straight away...

That said, a couple times I noticed low revs and a slow launch until I realised that there's a little 'click' on the accelerator when you go into launch mode. Basically if you push the throttle all the way down and then some you'll feel it. Try it with the car off and you'll be able to see if yours is the same as mine. If it is then that may solve your problem. :)

.... until I realised that there's a little 'click' on the accelerator when you go into launch mode. Basically if you push the throttle all the way down and then some you'll feel it.

Aaahhhh .. that may be where I went wrong ! thanks for the info

Boy oh boy! I used launch control yesterday and it was epic! I think I'll start growing new neck muscles lol...

With regards to usage, I had launch control on my previous car (6 speed DSG) which I used many times over it's 74k miles with me. Had no issues whatsoever. I thought as long as the gearbox service is done at the right time (every 40k miles) then all is well?