Launch Control

Mancmilks

Reaction score
Hi, does the s tronic Audi A5 have launch control? If so, has anyone used it and would it damage the vehicle do you think?

I've used it roughly 4/5 times, If you want to try it out make sure your engine is warm first and then:

- Car in Dynamic
- Gearbox in sport 'S' mode (Selecting Dynamic should automatically change the gearbox into S)
- Traction into Sport
- Left foot on brake
- Right foot all the way down on the accelerator
- Release the brake
- Away you go.

Reactions: B13NGL
Will just increase the wear on your Clutch, this feature will have been durability/Key Life tested on the Engine. Don't worry too much and have fun.

S5 has no launch control procedure, for some reason Audi don’t have one with their tiptronic gearboxes.

From what I’ve seen online most owners just floor the throttle. You can however keep your left foot from the brake, floor it with right foot and release the brake.

However I don’t recommend this as this causes a lot of stress on the torque converter.

RS4 has same box (?) and does have LC. If you brake and accelerate without LC the revs just die off as the car doesn't generally like it!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

yep RS4 has the same gearbox, on the audi manual it shows the launch procedure but states underneath only for the S Tronic gearboxes. Not sure may be different now.

73d1ec5f44feebdf6272dea44f90c56f

So how can i be sure that the car actually have launch control? Since dan91 suggested same to the person with s5 stating it doesnt have launch control but u can try this method though he will not recommend so how is it different

So how can i be sure that the car actually have launch control? Since dan91 suggested same to the person with s5 stating it doesnt have launch control but u can try this method though he will not recommend so how is it different

I'm guessing that if you follow the procedure and the car doesn't hold revs at about 4k with foot on brake, and redlines, then it isn't working.

However.

It does have it.

Plenty of YT vids like:

The s cars have a different gearbox to the stronic dsg versions. So the method of launching is different...

Mine is a5 1.4tfsi dsg. So i have to see when pressing brakes my rpm goes upto 3000? If so then it have launch control if it gets stuck bwfore it then it isnt? Thats right?

S5 has no launch control procedure, for some reason Audi don’t have one with their tiptronic gearboxes.

From what I’ve seen online most owners just floor the throttle. You can however keep your left foot from the brake, floor it with right foot and release the brake.

However I don’t recommend this as this causes a lot of stress on the torque converter.

Sorry but this is rubbish. Amazes me the amount of mis-information on forums. S5 and RS5 both have launch control and always have since launch. I have an RS5 and my friend has an S5 and we’ve both done it a number of times.

1. ESP Off
2. Car in Dynamic / Sport
3. Left foot brake
4. Right foot accelerator. Revs are then held at 3000rpm.
5. Release brake and you’re off.

Mine is a5 1.4tfsi dsg. So i have to see when pressing brakes my rpm goes upto 3000? If so then it have launch control if it gets stuck bwfore it then it isnt? Thats right?
Yes, the management system will allow this to happen before you release the brake, which will in turn engage the clutches..

Sorry but this is rubbish. Amazes me the amount of mis-information on forums. S5 and RS5 both have launch control.

1. ESP Off
3. Left foot brake

This is correct for the S models that have the ZF gearbox...

This is correct for the S models that have the ZF gearbox...

Which is all S models as the current S4/S5 have Tiptronic boxes. You can’t specify otherwise. So @007dan91 ’s post is flat out incorrect. P

Reactions: Chris S 1245 and cuke2u
Sorry but this is rubbish. Amazes me the amount of mis-information on forums. S5 and RS5 both have launch control and always have since launch. I have an RS5 and my friend has an S5 and we’ve both done it a number of times.

1. ESP Off
3. Left foot brake

Yeah this is what I’ve seen people in YT videos do. The guy from the Carwow videos has explained it as a “sort of” launch control before for the S/RS models. But going by the manual I posted further up according to Audi the process they list only applies for the S Tronic boxes. No idea why.

Yeah this is what I’ve seen people in YT videos do. The guy from the Carwow videos has explained it as a “sort of” launch control before for the S/RS models. But going by the manual I posted further up according to Audi the process they list only applies for the S Tronic boxes. No idea why.

Matt can call it a sort of Launch control if he likes but it’s launch control. He’s referring to the fact that it’s not a DSG box so doesn’t need to engage a specific programme to operate.

The procedure doesn’t work unless you follow the instructions. The car doesnt do the same thing if you just hold the brake and let go whilst flooring it. That one line in the manual is just a simple error. Made all the more confusing that unlike BMWs M cars there’s no specific subsection for RS/S models

Reactions: cuke2u

Mines tip tronic and it certainly does have launch :/
(A5 3L V6 286 quattro)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The S4 And S5 both have launch control.

1. ESP Off
3. Left foot brake

Yes, exactly this for B9 S5/RS5. Have done it once out of curiosity, but a bit of a pointless thing to do unless you are drag racing, testing 0-60, or 1/4 mile timing IMHO.

Yes, exactly this for B9 S5/RS5. Have done it once out of curiosity, but a bit of a pointless thing to do unless you are drag racing, testing 0-60, or 1/4 mile timing IMHO.

Apart from the fact that it’s melt-your-face-off awesome?

So i have a question my 1.4tfsi is not quattro but front wheel. I have heard front wheel doesnt have launch control?

So i have a question my 1.4tfsi is not quattro but front wheel. I have heard front wheel doesnt have launch control?
It probably does if it has s tronic/ tip tronic but won't work very well..

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter what the drive system has as long as it's stronic, of a ZF, gearbox...

Doesn't matter what the drive system has as long as it's stronic, of a ZF, gearbox...
So i tried to play with the launch so one foot was on brake car max went to 2500rpm and i kept the foot on thinking maybe it will go further but then rpm dropped