LCR Brembo - Thread Repair

Alex C

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Many a year ago i had some LCR brembo's powder coated by the local monkeys who didn't bother bunging up the brake line in hole and when i pointed it out to them one of them picked up a bolt and wound it into the threaded hole in an attempt to clean it out; obviously he cross threaded it. At the time i then had it cleaned out by a local engineering workshop and they were fitted to the car for 4years before the pistons seized on me

So, i sent them off for a full refurb and explicitly asked for this threaded hole to be repaired for peace of mind however they have come back and this threaded hole has only have been cleaned out again rather than a helicoil/timesert repair

This video shows that a brake fitting is loose all the way down and only solid once bottomed out on the seat: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AguUp0ayyWg124RUAkuychX6gNhVcQ

The shop that repaired these for me have confirmed that these threads were looked at and that the brake line does seal against the seat at the bottom and was pressure tested to 1000psi and i have the piece of paper confirming it.

Am i right to be concerned at the looseness of these threads? should i get these threads repaired or should i stop being a 'wet weekend' and fit them to the car?

Hi mate I think you will need the copper pipe in the fitting to get the fitting to fully tighten up I think the flared end on the pipe will stop the fitting bottoming out

Reactions: Alex C
If thats definatly the correct fitting then it shouldn't wobble about like that even without the pipe in there. Not long ago fitted porsche 996 turbo brembos to mine and they didn't do that. I'd say the threads need repairing.

Thanks for the replies

No it's not the fitting that will be fitted and no it doesn't have a flared copper brake line and I know that it will tighten up properly because the calipers were pressure tested to 1000psi. However, despite knowing that it will nip up it's the strength of the threads that are worrying me

the fitting is the correct thread and the fact that its wobbling about like that that makes me think that the threads are hanging on by the skin of their teeth and may strip when i need the brakes the most. That same fitting doesn't wobble at all in the other caliper

conversely the reason i'm not jumping straight to thread repair is the risk in damaging the seat at the bottom during the repair process and/or making sure the repaired thread is square to the seat

Take it to a decent engineering place they should be able to repair it without damaging the seat. I bought my brembos second hand and some of the bleed screws were seized in. Stripped the threads when I tried to remove them.
Had a couple helicoiled and they have been fine. Sealed perfectly.