leaking intercooler pipes

tdi-man

Reaction score
just had to replace one of my bottom intercooler pipes due to metal part of if given up and noticed the other one has oil round the out side of it ...am i write in thinking if it's leaking oil it will be losing boost ?

going to order a new one any way....

Yep, if they are passing oil it will be leaking pressure also, although probably not enough to notice any power loss.

When I got my TDI I was surprised/horrified to see that Audi are still using the same stupid design that plagued the old A3 platform, I've worked on quite a few TDI Renaults and they never seem to suffer pipework failure, because the pipework is held together by clamps not daft spring clips.

there not any better realy and a waste of a 100 buck, they still use the crappy style clips.

TBH the leak you would get is so minimal it probably wouldnt make any difference to the boost unless you can feel it yourself, also most liquids can get through most gaps eventually no matter how small, just get some new seals for the joints as I did on mine, its prob just these need replacing, clean up the oil, job done, may also be advisable to get a catch can to keep as much oil out of the pipes as possible.

Last edited:
TBH the leak you would get is so minimal it probably wouldnt make any difference to the boost unless you can feel it yourself, after most liquids can get through most gaps eventually no matter how small, just get some new seals for the joints as I did on mine, its prob just these need replacing, clean up the oil, job done, may also be advisable to get a catch can to keep as much oil out of the pipes as possible.

Where did you get the new seals from ? Is it main dealer only?