Leaky boost pipe, 2.0 TDI - solution?

heeman10

Audi driver since Dec 08
Reaction score
I know this isn't a new problem, crap VAG boost pipe seals leaking. Is there a decent solution out there though, or do people just slavishly replace them every year or two? I fully expect to have a hybrid turbo within the next year or two, and would rather have a proper circumferencial sealing clamp around my boost hoses than the rubbish Audi fitted.

I've seen Forge hose kits, but they appear to use the same sealing technique as the VAG design, just with pretty fluoro-lined hoses. As far as I know, the quality of the hoses isn't the problem that needs addressing, so I imagine they are primarily being sold because they look swanky.

Any thoughts?

The latest ones are all plastic and don't leak. About £75 fitted ( takes 20 minutes )

I had one fitted in November (but it was in Leeds where everything is better and cheaper ) !!!!!!!!!????????????

You had "one" fitted? What did you have fitted Mike? What are you talking about man? :readit:

Sorry heeman - thought you were talking about the pressure pipe to the intercooler on a 2005 BKD engine part number :-

1K0 145 762 CL

This is now all plastic and does not leak ( allegedly )

forge do some silicons boost pipes. Or if your going to get a hybrid turbo you might aswell get a intercooler as new boost pipes will come with it. Ive got the THS cooler in mine

mike - I don't have ETKA so can't locate exactly which part you mean, but the specific problem I'm referring to is the sealing arrangement between the boost pipes and the intercooler/inlet, using the spring clip and O-ring. The pipe itself is okay, but as a whole host of us have experienced, the pressure seal simply isn't good enough. I found one post somewhere on the net where an Audi worker said they had brand new cars leaking oil at these seals!

navnayyar - As I said in my PM matey, and have commented on Forge's post on this forum, the silicone hoses don't solve the sealing problem, as far as I am aware. They instruct their customers to swap the O-rings over to the new silicone hoses, because they seal in the same way. All the silicone hose kit does in this situation is replace the non-problematic standard hoses, leaving the problematic seals in place. The THS cooler allows you to fit silicone hoses using Jubilee clips, which definitely solves the problem at THAT end, but not at the intake (front of the engine, below the dipstick handle). That particular join is where I have a leak, though I haven't inspected my intercooler pipes yet.

Heeman - PM me your email address and I'll send you the ETKA page with the actual items and part numbers if you want.

I know this isn't a new problem, crap VAG boost pipe seals leaking. Is there a decent solution out there though, or do people just slavishly replace them every year or two? I fully expect to have a hybrid turbo within the next year or two, and would rather have a proper circumferencial sealing clamp around my boost hoses than the rubbish Audi fitted.

I've seen Forge hose kits, but they appear to use the same sealing technique as the VAG design, just with pretty fluoro-lined hoses. As far as I know, the quality of the hoses isn't the problem that needs addressing, so I imagine they are primarily being sold because they look swanky.

Any thoughts?

I have this exact problem and my car is suffering from a boost leak due to this at the moment too. Before I splash £75 on the new hoses I would much rather spend more on a complete FMIC setup to replace the stock design as it is crap. Mine leaks and like you say after a while even new hoses will start to leak. Jubilee clips over pipes are much more reliable and will hold the pressure better than the VAG design.

Does the any FMIC designed for the 2.0TFSI fit the 2.0TDI (BKD) I know a couple of people here have fitted FMIC's to this engine but I am unsure as to if there is a difference or not. If there isn't I think the TFSI cooler can be bought cheaper than this:

FR&R Tuning| ECU Remapping| Stage 1, 2 & 3 Performance Upgrades - THS Peformance Intercooler for 2.0 TDI BKD & AZV - (Powered by CubeCart)

compared to this:

Front Mount Intercooler Kit GOLF MK5 2.0 TFSI FSI Turbo on eBay (end time 11-Feb-11 15:57:21 GMT)

Joe

Oh one more thing I thought, although the Forge pipes are as you say an un-needed improvement, the connectors look like they are metal rather than plastic, surely that is a better idea? As the metal will expand/contract as the intercooler does meaning it will hold boost better?!

Joe

Yes all tfsi coolers will go on tdi. But the hoses wint fit. Reason being you need the metal connection on the "L" hose for the tdi and not on the tfsi. S hoses is ok

Joe90k - Yes, the joining section of the Forge hose kit is metal, as per their pics, but it still uses the same sealing method, which is no good in my eyes. I want to change the sealing method. Fitting an intercooler which will allow circumferencial clamps to be used will solve the problem, but only at the intercooler end.

mike - Will PM you now matey.

hi, you can fit new seals on the intercooler pipes and fit an oil catch can to remove some of the oil out the air intake system.

ste - As above, brand new cars are even leaking out of the joins, because of the poor seal. Leaking oil isn't my primary concern, it's the fact that a leak of any form is occurring. It means that oil AND air are passing through what should be an airtight seal. Blown turbochargers can result from such failures, and since I plan on increasing my boost pressures further, I don't want half the turbo's effort to be put into spraying a fine mist of oil all around my engine bay at 25psi. New seals will work, for a little bit, but a Jubilee clip clamping a hose around a hard pipe doesn't fail to seal unless something goes quite wrong, and nothing needs renewing to ensure that the seal is retained for a long period of time, unlike these useless O-ring seals Audi have opted for. Can you tell I'm not a fan?

Fitted all new pipes with seals to mine all sorted

hi, i have an hybrid turbo fitted to mine along with new seals and have no signs of oil leaks where as my standard turbo with original seals used to leak quite bad so i,m happy with that

We're going round in circles a bit here. I'm not satisfied with having to replace pipes and seals to maintain a pressure seal. I'm asking if anyone is using a reliable pressure seal that copes with standard, and elevated boost pressures. I understand that replacing the standard seals, and on occasion, the pipes and hoses, CURES the leaks, but it's a little like plugging a leaking bucket with masking tape. It'll only last so long before it leaks again, because the problem hasn't been solved.

Yes thanks Mike, just got your email and replied, thank you for that :)

Have you considered getting rid of the lot and starting again making your pipework from scratch, you can buy pre-formed pipework, the only issue I can see is the join at the Turbo, you would probably need to have a collar alloy welded to the flange.

On my old Mk4 golf I had problems with the pipework blowing off the intercooler, I stuck the pipework together using a a resin that set rock hard, never had an issue after that, only downside is future maintainace may be a bit of a pain.

You glued your boost pipes onto your intercooler?! Extreme!!! I fitted a 1.8 TDI engine into my old 1993 Fiesta, and that ran at around 24psi for a while. Pipes popping off where a minor issue initially, but the problem was easily overcome with good clean seals using Jubilee clips. I've seen some nice secure sealing/securing techniques on various 1000bhp+ drag cars, but there shouldn't be the need to implement anything extreme here, just a reliable seal for 1-2bar would be nice, and should be expected from a long-standing prestige/motorsport heritage-based marque like Audi.

I would enjoy ripping out all the crappy standard pipework and replacing it all with custom-fabricated pipework, and have a friend who is a metal fabricator who could do a nice job of it, but I don't have the free time, nor a second car right now, to allow that kind of down-time. I wondered if there were any off-the-shelf solution to this problem.

I am experiencing this at the moment, well I think I am? I have oil leaking out of the joint and is making a lot of whistling noise. Is it just the one pipe and both ends of it?

I am an apprentice engineer so have access to a wide range of o-rings at work so am going to try and fit one that is slightly thicker so will hopefully have a more positive seal, I’ll let you know how I get on.

Replaced mine today with a thicker o-rings, much harder to put the pipe back in and the noise has stopped so hopefully will last a long time.

Reactions: mozza1202
I just had to replace my bayonet coupling as one broke away check my latest thread. The forge ones are excellent machine quality and Audi ones are inferior in every way. They will not fall apart.

I`m having mine replaced tomorrow! mines started to blow, always something.

Had pipe replaced, feel the power is back which is nice. Pipe supplied and fitted £60.

I think I'm having this problem, but I can't see any oil marks, just the whistle and dump valve sound in every gear, has any one got picks exactly where the pipe runs are located
Thanks

I think I'm having this problem, but I can't see any oil marks, just the whistle and dump valve sound in every gear, has any one got picks exactly where the pipe runs are located
Thanks

Ordered myself a set of the replacement Forge boost pipes and will try them with a brand new set of seals that I have waiting for my Turbo clean.

Paul

Ive just had the boost pipes fitted by Forge and I'm really pleased with them the fit is a lot better than the standard pipes the engine feels smoother and theres less noise :)

Starting to consider those Forge boost pipes. Can you fit them yourself or do you need a garage to do it?

If you can get the car up on ramps or axle stands you could fit them yourself.

Paul

So would these forge boost pipes stop the whistling noise when I change gear?

Fantastic service from Forge - just had my UPS tracking details for delivery tomorrow :icon_thumright:

Not sure about whistling noise when you change gear - depends what is causing it - the Turbo will whistle slightly when producing boost.

Paul

Fantastic service from Forge - just had my UPS tracking details for delivery tomorrow :icon_thumright:

Not sure about whistling noise when you change gear - depends what is causing it - the Turbo will whistle slightly when producing boost.

Paul

I think he means like a dumpvalve kind of noise, my car makes the same noise and I've noticed a decrease in torque when I floor it, so I'm guessing I have the same problem, for the time being I think I will try the O-ring solution to put me on until I can afford the Forge kit.

I have the same noise, Great! More money!

O-ring change first i think, then Forge later..