Leather cleaner

Seantdi

Reaction score
Howdy folks.
Recently picked up a 2012 b8 a4 which has full leather seats. They have a shine on them which I hate.
I want to give them a good clean. Have been reading about people using magic sponges to bring back a matt finish but have also read this can be harmful to the leather.
Anyone any views or tips on how to get a nice matt finish back on it?

Thanks in advance

Either or colour lock leather cleaner or Valet pro leather soap you'll also need a leather cleaning brush to apply either product and then wipe off with a microfibre cloth these cleaners can also be used on the steering wheel

Reactions: NevMan and Seantdi
Either or colour lock leather cleaner or Valet pro leather soap you'll also need a leather cleaning brush to apply either product and then wipe off with a microfibre cloth these cleaners can also be used on the steering wheel

These do work a treat and give a nice matte finish

Reactions: Jassyo06
Magic sponge on leather is a no no the shiny is all the body oils get leather brush like a swissvax one or colour lock a decent cleaner Locke chemical guys and a conditioner

Alot of the leather cleaner / conditioners are buff to a shine and are matt when just simply applied .

Alot of the leather cleaner / conditioners are buff to a shine and are matt when just simply applied .

Conditioners will leave a shine to a extent but conditioners are needed on old leather not newish
A good leather cleaner will leave a matte finish

Reactions: dp_motley and Taxboy
@jassyo06 , could you give more detailed advise on the Colourlock leather cleaner? I believe you know the product as I saw you mentioned it in other threads. Colourlock has two leather cleaners - a mild one and a strong one. Which one would you recommend for potentially dirty seats?

I bought a full S3 leather interior which looks like Milano leather (I say Milano because the leather is more grainy than the Nappa). I saw the pictures only and the interior will be delivered next week, I hope. I want to clean everything thoroughly before putting it into my brand new car. Should I get the Mild or the Strong leather cleaner? When should I use either of them?

Also, would you recommend colourlock leather protector and/or leather shield for the black seats?

Edit: How is Valet Pro leather soap vs Colourlock leather cleaner? Which one is better?

Reactions: NevMan
@jassyo06 , could you give more detailed advise on the Colourlock leather cleaner? I believe you know the product as I saw you mentioned it in other threads. Colourlock has two leather cleaners - a mild one and a strong one. Which one would you recommend for potentially dirty seats?

I bought a full S3 leather interior which looks like Milano leather (I say Milano because the leather is more grainy than the Nappa). I saw the pictures only and the interior will be delivered next week, I hope. I want to clean everything thoroughly before putting it into my brand new car. Should I get the Mild or the Strong leather cleaner? When should I use either of them?

Also, would you recommend colourlock leather protector and/or leather shield for the black seats?

Edit: How is Valet Pro leather soap vs Colourlock leather cleaner? Which one is better?
Is it S3 leather interior mate as all S3 seats have Nappa leather. Without seeing the seats l would say go with the Strong variant of the colour lock cleaner just incase, and of course the leather shield apply both once a month remember the leather brush vital and use 2 clean microfibre cloths 1 to remove used product and the other slightly damp to buff off then let the leather settle for a couple of hours then apply the leather shield and the seats should look as new

Reactions: NevMan
Thanks @jassyo06 . I don't have my own pictures of the seats as I have not received them yet, but I saved a few pictures from the product page. Please have a look. Does this leather look like Nappa? Anyway, the Strong cleaner is the choice, right? Then I'll use the Leather protector and the Shield on top of all. Does this sound like a plan?

Also, the interior I bought have all the mono.pur kit, which is a faux leather. Is that correct? Would you recommend some colourlock product (they have a faux leather cleaner) or doesn't it matter what brand of a cleaner to use on faux parts and plastics? I have something from Autoglym in my shed.

The pics.

New interior from Allegro
Passenger seat
Worn seat bolster

Thanks @jassyo06 . I don't have my own pictures of the seats as I have not received them yet, but I saved a few pictures from the product page. Please have a look. Does this leather look like Nappa? Anyway, the Strong cleaner is the choice, right? Then I'll use the Leather protector and the Shield on top of all. Does this sound like a plan?

Also, the interior I bought have all the mono.pur kit, which is a faux leather. Is that correct? Would you recommend some colourlock product (they have a faux leather cleaner) or doesn't it matter what brand of a cleaner to use on faux parts and plastics? I have something from Autoglym in my shed.

The pics.

View attachment 177907 View attachment 177908 View attachment 177909
I have only seen these type of seats in cars from the States mate and they're all covered in Fine nappa leather, the leather cleaner will clean the Mono pur/extended leather just the same it does leather .. You'll get that Matte factory look with these products and l would clean them before you fit them for ease of use

Reactions: dp_motley and NevMan
Thanks @jassyo06 I saw a few similar seats on German ebay. I bought mine at Allegro.pl because they are much cheaper there, but as much as I know, Polish car breakers buy crashed cars for dismantling on European auctions.

I'll buy the strong cleaner and clean everything before I fit the interior. I did it already with the interior of my 8P, which I bought on Allegro as well. I agree, it's easier to clean the seats while they are in a living room than inside the car.

@dp_motley @jassyo06 - The mono.pur option is actually synthetic leather & the coloured 'wings' are made from velvet !
I kid you not

Plenty of info on mono.pur in the 8V FAQ's here -
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/page-2#post-2325955

Good post here too about mono.pur -
Fine Nappa

"The seat centre sections, seat side bolsters, head restraints and front centre armrest in Fine Nappa leather. The upper shoulder sections are finished in velvet. Door/ side panel trim inserts in synthetic leather. Contrasting silver stitching on the upholstery, steering wheel and gear knob gaiter"
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/mono-pur-interior-finish.224396/#post-2235076

@dp_motley @jassyo06 - The mono.pur option is actually synthetic leather & the coloured 'wings' are made from velvet !
I kid you not

Plenty of info on mono.pur in the 8V FAQ's here -
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/page-2#post-2325955

Good post here too about mono.pur -
Fine Nappa

"The seat centre sections, seat side bolsters, head restraints and front centre armrest in Fine Nappa leather. The upper shoulder sections are finished in velvet. Door/ side panel trim inserts in synthetic leather. Contrasting silver stitching on the upholstery, steering wheel and gear knob gaiter"
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/mono-pur-interior-finish.224396/#post-2235076

As always you dismiss my knowledge ...and your wrong them back panels are leather as they're not from a S3 pfl which did have either red,black or lunar silver velvet inlays,them Tan coloured inlays are leather....LOOK....at the bottom photo you'll see the shiny texture of leather on them....A certain member on here from the States had the same seats...his car was Dark metallic brown......North American cars did'nt have velvet inlays...they had leather inlays....and a leather cleaner will clean Faux leather just as well as real leather....l have extended plastic on my current car with red stitching and they clean up very well with either Colour Lock or Valet Pro

Reactions: NevMan and Bristle Hound
As always you dismiss my knowledge
Never have never will, except in the case of Sonax BSD lol
...and your wrong them back panels are leather as they're not from a S3 pfl which did have either red,black or lunar silver velvet inlays,them Tan coloured inlays are leather....LOOK....at the bottom photo you'll see the shiny texture of leather on them....A certain member on here from the States had the same seats...his car was Dark metallic brown......North American cars did'nt have velvet inlays...they had leather inlays....and a leather cleaner will clean Faux leather just as well as real leather....l have extended plastic on my current car with red stitching and they clean up very well with either Colour Lock or Valet Pro
But I'm still right, (but not in the case of the **** brown seats lol) which you never admit too to my wee scotch friend :p lol

Reactions: NevMan and CHEZ
Guyz, please be awesome to each other :)

I received the interior yesterday and had a chance to have a closer look under the shining sun this morning. It looks like the seller manipulated images a little. Everything on those pics look shinier than in reality. I thought the brown sections were leather, as it looked on the pictures, but they were not. It's faux leather that is, I guess, the same as on the shoulder part of @jassyo06 ' gray seats.

According to a sticker on the inside of one of the door cards, the interior is from a PFL car, the color combination is soul / lasso. All the leather is matte and in very good condition, I'd say it looks like new except some ware on the side bolsters of the driver seat. There are some storage marks on the leather that I will massage off after cleaning and softening.

There is a nasty storage mark on a passenger door card in a very visible place that I'm unsure if I'll be able to remove, so I have to research if it's possible to just move the door handle/armrest with the mono.pur AND the brown leather door decoration from this to my own door card. Moving the armrest would be easy, I hope, but how to remove the leather insert?

EDIT: @jassyo06 , do you clean the faux leather (microfiber?) shoulder sections with the same Colourlock strong cleaner? Do you use a brush or are this material more sensitive and require more gentle treatment?

Guyz, please be awesome to each other :)

I received the interior yesterday and had a chance to have a closer look under the shining sun this morning. It looks like the seller manipulated images a little. Everything on those pics look shinier than in reality. I thought the brown sections were leather, as it looked on the pictures, but they were not. It's faux leather that is, I guess, the same as on the shoulder part of @jassyo06 ' gray seats.

According to a sticker on the inside of one of the door cards, the interior is from a PFL car, the color combination is soul / lasso. All the leather is matte and in very good condition, I'd say it looks like new except some ware on the side bolsters of the driver seat. There are some storage marks on the leather that I will massage off after cleaning and softening.

There is a nasty storage mark on a passenger door card in a very visible place that I'm unsure if I'll be able to remove, so I have to research if it's possible to just move the door handle/armrest with the mono.pur AND the brown leather door decoration from this to my own door card. Moving the armrest would be easy, I hope, but how to remove the leather insert?

EDIT: @jassyo06 , do you clean the faux leather (microfiber?) shoulder sections with the same Colourlock strong cleaner? Do you use a brush or are this material more sensitive and require more gentle treatment?
@jassyo06 - Doesn't look like I'm wrong after all
As always it looks like you were a bit quick to dismiss my knowledge buddy