Leather, swirls and proper cleaning?

christurk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I pick up my B7 S-line SE this week and the first thing I want to do is get it looking the way it should. The paint is pretty good but I'm thinking of handing it over to a professional detailer (with the required time and patience) to really bring it back to shine. Does anyone know of someone in the Stoke on Trent or surrounding areas?

Also could do with some advice on what cleaning kit to use to avoid putting swirls in the paint etc.

And finally, is there such a thing as leather restorer. There's some mild wear on the seat bolsters and it would look spot on if I could get rid of it.

Thanks
chris

Everyone has there own preference to cleaning kits but generally a good pre rinse with pressure washer, followed by snow foam removes a good bit of dirt before you even touch the paint with a decent quality wash mit and the two bucket method is also recommended, one for suds one for rinsing you also get grit guards to add that further bit of protection.

I've always referenced the polishedbliss website for their how to guides, fair bit of guidance on there.

You can get leather dies/paint restorer to re colour the leather if it is worn off.

I'm up north so can't really help out with detailers down south.

Everyone has there own preference to cleaning kits but generally a good pre rinse with pressure washer, followed by snow foam removes a good bit of dirt before you even touch the paint with a decent quality wash mit and the two bucket method is also recommended, one for suds one for rinsing you also get grit guards to add that further bit of protection.

I've always referenced the polishedbliss website for their how to guides, fair bit of guidance on there.

You can get leather dies/paint restorer to re colour the leather if it is worn off.

I'm up north so can't really help out with detailers down south.
Thanks, visited that website and I'm more in the know now about what's required. At least I know what sort of kit I need now.

Also found a detailed down here called Autobright. So going to take it there for a good polish before I get my own grubby mitts on it.

I'm sure you'll find a good detailer in your area. But look for a detailer not a valeter.....
Swirls are caused by mechanical damage, dust and dirt being rubbed around the surface of the paint.
So do all you can to remove the dirt before you have any physical contact with the paint work.
As mentioned its ideal to pressure wash but I've found using snow foam on a dry car means it sits on the surface much longer. So doing it's work better.
I would suggest, snow foam, leave until the foam has almost gone (around five minutes). Pressure wash off, two bucket method using a mitt not a sponge, rinse with pressure wash, then I rinse with filtered water before drying with towels not a leather.

When you have a swirl free surface after your detail do not use polish as they are all abrasive to some level or other. Use a wax or as some call it a glaze. Good cleaning .....................

You may want to visit Waxstock 2015, its not far to Coventry and its an ideal place to see what's available and get some great bargains too.
http://waxstock.com/

Thanks Steve. I think I'm pretty much sorted now then. Going to get myself a lance off eBay as they're about half the price. Looking at the valet pro ph neutral snow foam. Then a lambs wool mitt and some microfiber towels. still not sure of a good shampoo or wax though, any suggestions?