Leaving ignition on without engine running

pierreluigi88

Reaction score
This is probably a silly question, but here goes: When I'm using OBDEleven, it sometimes takes a good 10 minutes to get into some of the modules. While this happens, the ignition is on but the engine isn't running.

When I was learning to drive, I remember my Dad saying to me "Don't leave the ignition on, you'll burn the coil out" ....Does this still happen with modern cars? I should imagine that with start/stop it's not a concern but thought I should check!

Reactions: RS3 S.
As far as I’m aware modern cars like the A4 detect the electrical usage levels when the ignition is on but the engine is not and therefore the alternator is not recharging the battery. Once a certain amount of time has passed it cuts the electrical circuit. I very much suspect that would be before any coil pack damage from a maintained circuit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
It hasn't been the case of coils burning out by leaving the ignition on for years as the system moved away from oil based paper and varnish containers long ago. Ignition systems these days are clever enough to know when systems are not being used and turn them off to preserve the battery...

Hell I can still remember how to set the ignition timing with a rod and a fag packet foil liner, listening to carburettors to set their fuel air mix. Fuel injection only just came in at the later stage of my car mechanic years. But showing my age now...

Reactions: Paul Golding
I have a lot of dash cam footage from when my B8.5 went in for service and that only happens when the ignition is on. Like you I was surprised but clearly it's not an issue.

Comedian

I have a lot of dash cam footage from when my B8.5 went in for service and that only happens when the ignition is on. Like you I was surprised but clearly it's not an issue.

Comedian

Haha - his ‘lift going down’ at the end was the best!

Reactions: scotty76