LED DRL Resistors Location

crisis72rdh

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to install some resistors for my LED DRLs but they get so hot. I don't want them melting anything in the light housing so was wondering where they've been put by anyone whose done this?

I've got an S4 so it's tightly packed in there.

Cheers for any advice.

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
Still need to do mine. I plan to cut the cover up and then mount them to the outside of that. Then use silicone to form a water tight seal.

I mounted mine under the light assembly inside when I had them apart to de-chrome them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How didn't you get the wires back into the unit Carl?

I extended the wire to the resistors mounted one top left of engine bay and other near the pollen filter on the right, they do get super hot so away from any plastic or cables and use a connector as you will have to replace them every now and then so not worth soldering them

Mine doesn't have DRLs could I see pictures of yours please guys?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install some resistors for my LED DRLs but they get so hot. I don't want them melting anything in the light housing so was wondering where they've been put by anyone whose done this?

I've got an S4 so it's tightly packed in there.

Cheers for any advice.

Hi,

The reason you have put resistors is to dimm the DRL ?

I want to dimm my LED DRL, can i achieve that with resistors or i need a led driver ?

Hi,

The reason you have put resistors is to dimm the DRL ?

I want to dimm my LED DRL, can i achieve that with resistors or i need a led driver ?

Hi,

No, its to get rid of the canbus bulb warning message. The LED doesn't draw enough power so the resistor tricks it into thinking the filament bulb is still there.

It gets ****** hot though, cheers for the ideas guys.

Reactions: Orestis
If you want to dim your DRL's you'd have to install an in line resistor to the positive feed.....but I can't say what size.

And as Chris has said above it's to remove the bulb warning light, but this is wired up across both the + & - so that it fools the car into thinking there is a normal bulb installed and is substantially larger and gets really hot.

If you want to dim your DRL's you'd have to install an in line resistor to the positive feed.....but I can't say what size.

And as Chris has said above it's to remove the bulb warning light, but this is wired up across both the + & - so that it fools the car into thinking there is a normal bulb installed and is substantially larger and gets really hot.

Is it just cars with factory xenon's that have DRLs or am I confusing myself?

Yes triggerboo it's just the factory Xenons, but you can code halogens via VCDS (IIRC) to have your high beams on as DRL's but it dims them down.

Yes triggerboo it's just the factory Xenons, but you can code halogens via VCDS (IIRC) to have your high beams on as DRL's but it dims them down.

So I could replace my high beams with some decent quality LEDs then it's just a case of finding someone to code them. Any offers?? Lol

Have you got any more info on this? Where to look in VCDS etc, thanks

Have you got any more info on this? Where to look in VCDS etc, thanks

Central Electronics Coding
  • ?xxxx: Chassis
    • 0 = Limousine (PR-K8B)
    • 1 = Avant (PR-K8D)
    • 2 = Cabriolet (PR-K8K)
  • x?xxx: Driving Light Switch
    • 0 = Rain/Light Sensor (G397) not installed (PR-8K0/8K1/9C6/8K4)
    • 1 = Rain/Light Sensor (G397) installed (PR-8K3/8K7/9C7/8K9)
  • xx?xx: Trailer Hitch
    • 0 = Trailer Hitch not installed (PR-1D0)
    • 1 = Trailer Hitch installed (PR-1D2)
  • xxx?x: Headlights
    • 0 = Halogen Headlights w/o Daytime Running Lights (PR-8Q0/8Q1+8K0/8K7)
    • 1 = Halogen Headlights with Daytime Running Lights (PR-8Q0/8Q1+8K1/8K3/9C6/9C7)
    • 2 = Bi-Xenon Headlights with Daytime Running Lights (PR-8Q3/8Q5+8K9/8K4)
    • 3 = Bi-Xenon Headlights w/o Daytime Running Lights (PR-8Q3/8Q5+8K0/8K7)
    • 4 = Bi-Xenon Headlights with Daytime Running/Tail/License Plate Lights (PR-8Q3/8Q5+8K1/8K3)
  • xxxx?: Country
    • 1 = Rest of World/Nordic Countries/Denmark/Croatia/Baltic Countries with Bi-Xenon
    • 2 = Nordic Countries/Denmark/Croatia/Baltic Countries without Bi-Xenon
    • 3 = USA/Canada with Bi-Xenon
    • 4 = Canada without Bi-Xenon
    • 5 = Special Vehicles

will do. It may be a little while though. The car was hit by a bus the other day and is in the shop for repair from tomorrow

So according to that you can have the drls on with the headlights?

• 4 = Bi-Xenon Headlights with Daytime Running/Tail/License Plate Lights (PR-8Q3/8Q5+8K1/8K3)

Thank you very much for the reply.

I have installed aftermarket sonar headlights and I want to dimm down the led DRL. Might you can propose how many watt and ohm resistors I can use for testing?

I haven't the foggiest Oretis but I'm sure someone will know....maybe drop @t8ups a message and ask his advice as he deals with lights car electronics all the time.