LED Number Plate Lights - Help

RS3dan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got some LED bulbs for the plates online, and have just fit them but have a bit of a problem;

Unfortunately when I switch on the ignition the lights come on for about 3-4 seconds (if you're quick to the back!) and then go off again..

Does anyone know why that is? I've heard stuff about resistors because the power usage is lower so the car thinks a bulb is blown and shuts off the circuit - but would that give me the on/off again symptom?

On another note - the ones I got are slightly longer than the originals although they fit - would that have anything to do with it? :S

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

Basically answered ur own question, the canbus is very fussy and you'd probably be best buying the oem ones from Audi.

Reactions: RS3dan
Basically answered ur own question, the canbus is very fussy and you'd probably be best buying the oem ones from Audi.

How annoying lol - I also managed to blow the only one of the two that worked in the process of the originals haha..

How much are they from audi roughly do you know? an arm and a leg I'm sure!!

It's the one thing I hate with these cars, even the screws are a nightmare, managed to strip the heads on my a3 and one on the s3.

They are roughly £17 each I think now, used to be £11 before everyone started buying them. However, it is a kinda fit and forget, once you get them sat correct of course.

Reactions: dandav1985
It's the one thing I hate with these cars, even the screws are a nightmare, managed to strip the heads on my a3 and one on the s3.

They are roughly £17 each I think now, used to be £11 before everyone started buying them. However, it is a kinda fit and forget, once you get them sat correct of course.

Yer very true - someone has obviously been at one of them before and messed one of the heads & threads up!

lol typical - 10x the price for two that I got - bu then I suppose thats why these upset the canbus - stupid cars lol - any knowledge of adding in a resistor? I've heard about this but thats about the end of my knowledge on that one!

I'm sure it can be done, but it's also been known that the resistor heats up an then can cause fires. Tbh, the way I see it is if you don't have the money for it don't touch it. Buying cheap stuff for audi's will always come back to bite you in the long run.

Buy the audi led's there the better ones IMO, still leave a light on the dash though but if you buy kufatec looms with the resistors the light out message will disappear.

It's an expensive why but IMO the safest.

Cheers Dan

Reactions: MrHSingh
I'm sure it can be done, but it's also been known that the resistor heats up an then can cause fires. Tbh, the way I see it is if you don't have the money for it don't touch it. Buying cheap stuff for audi's will always come back to bite you in the long run.

Ah.. right.. Ill leave that one alone then! Yer, I don't mind forking out, its more that I dislike being ripped off, with £34 for a pair of little bulbs will certainly feel like :p

Cheers mate!

Reactions: smurfworth
Buy the audi led's there the better ones IMO, still leave a light on the dash though but if you buy kufatec looms with the resistors the light out message will disappear.

It's an expensive why but IMO the safest.

Cheers Dan

Thats only on the facelift cars(8p3), works fine on the prefacelift (8p2)

Ah.. right.. Ill leave that one alone then! Yer, I don't mind forking out, its more that I dislike being ripped off, with £34 for a pair of little bulbs will certainly feel like :p

Cheers mate!

Being ripped off, yeah i know what you mean, but you could of bought a VW or Seat or Skoda, Its what you get with Audi unfortunately

Thats only on the facelift cars(8p3), works fine on the prefacelift (8p2)

Being ripped off, yeah i know what you mean, but you could of bought a VW or Seat or Skoda, Its what you get with Audi unfortunately

True, should've stuck to vdubs haha :p

So the OEM LEDs definitely don't need any wiring/looms etc then, because i defo cant be doing with that just for plate lights lol - is there a part number or are they fairly broad do you know?

Cheers

Provided yours isn't an 8p3, yeah will work fine. My s3 is a 2008 prefacelift and they work fine.

Part numbers:

Led rear no plate lights: 17 each

4H0 943 021
4H0 943 022

T8ups sells the set for about £10 I think, I've got the ones off him they work fine no problems

T8ups sells the set for about £10 I think, I've got the ones off him they work fine no problems

Sorry is that a member on here or? Havent been active on ASN for long :p

Sounds much more promising than 34!!

Yea he is a member/affiliate on here, its EM-tuning.

EM Tuning

Don't quote me on the price but I'm pretty sure it was around that sort of mark.

+1 for T8ups, all his lights work a treat with no errors!

strange as mine is a 2009 facelift model but i have cheap ebay canbus leds fitted in my number plate lights and never had an error and this week fitted a reverse camera for the missus ,£15 china special and this hasen't effected it either.

even made my own rear led indicator bulbs ,using old led bulb holders(the first type with normal leds on) 12v led driver 3x3w cree led's and 2 50p pieces

Reactions: RS3dan and DriverN00B
even made my own rear led indicator bulbs ,using old led bulb holders(the first type with normal leds on) 12v led driver 3x3w cree led's and 2 50p pieces

Haha how much for a pair!

worked out to around 4 quid a pair, but clearly visible in day light and has given me an idea to add at least another 3 per side ,just need to get the car off the missus for more than a few hours .

strange as mine is a 2009 facelift model but i have cheap ebay canbus leds fitted in my number plate lights and never had an error and this week fitted a reverse camera for the missus ,£15 china special and this hasen't effected it either.

Could you post a link to the number plate LEDs you bought? Mine is a early 2009 facelift S3.
Thanks

Is it only the bulbs you need? And not the carriers? I bought a bulb carrier from audi last month cost me £11 and the bulbs from audi only cost 47p each!!!

Just the bulbs I was after - got them from trups from here over at E M tuning eventually, highly recommend him, great bloke to deal with!

nope nothing no errors at all . changed all rear bulbs to 50smd led bulbs as well. plus made custom cree led indicators for the rear lenses only need to change the rear reverse light bulbs to led now and im done ,then onto the front indicator bulbs to mod for cree led.