LED Number Plate!!

Maq

Quattro_AvQ
Reaction score
Been forver searching for a decent pair of LED number plate lights...searched the forum and found a pair for 35quid+...dont really want to be wasting the student loan on that..anyone know of any inexpensive LED's which dont throw up a error?

Much Aprreciated!

i will soon tell you as i am fitting a set of these at the weekend

Yep, iv get them, real nice too!

27102009066.jpg

Is it 12quid for the pair? or for each bulb...look quality!. Got the coming home lights on my car which also lights up the number plate..so i reckon it should change the look!

Ordered! Thanks everyone..hopefully shud be simple to fit!

Got mine - same as i n the ebay link on friday
fitted today
look lovely
but........
'Rear numberplate blub' in the warning on the dash !!!! GRRRRRRRRR
:mad:
so they do not work with the B7
i like so if i get resistors will the warning dissaper ?? anyone know? if so which ones can i get and where from ?
i also purchased some audi compatable LED sidelights 360 degree ones as i have them in another car no probs, in this one ' sideligh' warning, so resistors needed there also
am fitting a H7 Hid kit tomorrow........ gonna test before i go the whole hog i think, even though its £200 kit from hids 4 u and meant to give no warnings

mate ive just fitted some today and got the number plate bulb warning,this is a pain in ****,i ordered some normal led ones before and messed around with resistors but it just a pain in **** as you have to wire them in series.

ok - time to sound thick here
whats wire in series ??
i have wired some resistors to my astra i used to have, it was literally a case of soldering them between the 2 wires
how would i use a resistor on my a4 ?
would the same apply for the side lights and things like indicator bulbs leds

it might be me being thick as it might be in parralel,but basically im pretty sure the resistors have to be wire like ---resistor----led------resistor----led not

led led
resistor resistor

If that makes sense

Last edited:
so one resistor across both wres on each light
r could i soldier to the back of the bulb perhaps?
i thought a resistors point was to trick the cars ecu into thinking there is 'load' on the wire as leds use less power the ecu things the bulb has gone due to reduced current
so where exactly in laymens terms do i put the resistors

so one resistor across both wres on each light
r could i soldier to the back of the bulb perhaps?
i thought a resistors point was to trick the cars ecu into thinking there is 'load' on the wire as leds use less power the ecu things the bulb has gone due to reduced current
so where exactly in laymens terms do i put the resistors

The reason the warning occurs is because with a normal bulb it makes a circuit which is what creates the resistance needed for the system check. In an LED the diode doesnt make a circuit. Look closely at an LED and you will see the two pieces of metal which emit the light dont actually touch therefor no circuit is created, hence the need for a resistor

Is the "light out warning" a standard feature?? These bulbs can't work on some cars and not others. Has anyone upgraded all their front lights to LED's?? I was looking for some front fog LED upgrades.

Anyone know what Resiters/ohm rating we have to use to cancel the warning?

i am on this - started a thread about LEd / SMD
am refitting at the weekend, have purchased a load of resistors and will let everyone know

tried resistors in mine they get very very hot so just by accident i wired up a 5 amp bulb extra on same circuit as number plate bulbs and no problems with warnings etc perfect no flicking and bulb not hot at all, just means a light on in boot
A4 08 plate cab

Yeh i saw that on a bmw website....does the birghtness of the LED become slighlty dim due to the extra resistence?

just to save peole time and agro - the leds at the start of the link via ebay do not work, they give light out warnings and the seller offers no explination and no refunds or exchanges
avoid and see my guide after sunday for working results ( hopefully ) lol

I had these, didn't work on the 2007 model (even managed to break one trying to fit it), but got a refund from the same shop (f1autos) and told them they should adjust their advert saying they didn't work with 2007 models.

Push for the refund ;)

will do
i have sent 4 emails now, i am gonna just do it via paypal
the ad still says b7 compatable

got a reply saying to post back for a refund ! which i have done
got me some other ones now - over on my LED thread

I managed to fit my number plate LED's this weekend. I managed to get round the error on the DIS by fitting resistors to the bulb holders (although is does beep when I turn the car on but the warning goes away straight away), my set up is:

One 150ohm resistor on one of the bulb holders

and

One 100ohm resistor AND One 120ohm resistor on the other bulb holder.

The problem is, the one with the 2 resistors on is dimmer and has more of a blue tint than the one with one resistor (probably due to the current the resistors are drawing).

Which resistors did you guys use? I've only spent £2.75 on this mod so far so I should have some budget for more resistors :thumbsup:! I havent bothered with heatsinks and things, drove around for an hour and a half with the lights on and nothings melted.