Legal Number Plates ?

S-Line_Wales

Reaction score
Does anyone know the current legislation as far as the DVLA, Plod & MOT are concerned regarding number plates..am shortly purchasing a cherished number for my car and would like to have some nice plates made, ie Corbon Fibre Domed lettering, a red border with red EU Stars GB & red audi logo on left of plate, and my name underneath..various sites Ive looked at all seem to contradict each other, and I dont wanna spend £60 on a set of plates to be pulled afer 5 minutes and told their illegal..

Legally, you are not allowed to have any of the above which you have listed, and if your car is a 51 plate or newer also, the bottom of the plate has to display the authorised company which made the plates, it's a MOT requirement!

Obviously this cannot be policed 100%, so I think it's on the understanding that the rear reg plate at the very least, is legible to joe public, and that fancy bits of artwork around it doesn't disturb the actual reg. I have custom plates on my Passat for the last 7 years and never been pulled, the rear looks like a standard plate with a VW logo to the left of it and correct spacing, and the fronts is spaced differently to read my surname.

I know about the suppliers name & BSAU number on the plate is mandatory..but a few online platemakers contradict each other as to what is road legal and what are considered "showplates" Unfortunately the page with the latest info on the DVLA website is down, and has been for some time..