Let's get social

Cruiser89

Advanced In Car Tech
Reaction score
So having been a member on here for quite a while now I still only know certain members by their username and thats about it.

We live in the times of social media and feel that as a forum we could do more to encourage it. I use a lot of social media tools in my work and it is very power and sometimes invaluable way to market myself and my business. It's all about networking!

I made a little mock up of something that I would think would work well in the forum...

Social_Idea_zps6a9315ca.png

Everybody who uses this forum does so one for one common reason, Audi. Plain and simple. I for one would love to be able to see more about the people behind the username in terms of what they write up on Twitter, post up on Instagram and YouTube especially if it has to do with anything Audi...

I see this little mod being handled within the User CP area. They literally type in their username for a cetain social media. I use timborrill throughout as mine. The forum then only shows the appropriate networks that they enter. So if they don't have an Instagram account, it doesn't show it. There are lots of tools made by these networks to allow a one-click "follow" or subscribe if they are already logged into that platform. One click, I now follow that person on Twitter or Instagram or Youtube.

I was toying with the idea of Facebook but realised that this is quite a personal platform wheras the ones suggested above are usually quite public. However for the Sponsors out there it would be awesome if we could have a LIKE our page ability in here!

Let me know your thoughts :)

I use Facebook, but do not subscribe to twitter, instagram or have my own You Tube channel.

I would suggest those that wish to could put those personal contact details in their signature.

Ok that's fine... But that's not the majority of users on this forum.

The whole idea of this was to suggest an improvement to the forum, how to create more interaction and usability throughout. Telling people to put details is a signature is not an improvement, everybody's signatures will look different and there will be no standard thing! This way with it being in the area I suggested then it becomes standard practice. If you don't have any of the examples given then no problem it won't show up.

Remember that social media tools such as Twitter / Instagram / YouTube are not considered personal contact details. They are a public and very open source depending on what privacy settings you have setup.

Thanks for your input though.

I wonder how you know that?

Because :
  • I have been around on this forum a long time.
  • My company are a sponsor of ASN.
  • Have spoken to lots of members through the forum on both a personal and business level.
  • Research on Social Media, its use and how people around the world use it. At the end of the day this is part of my job and I would say I have a good knowledge on the matter!
I didn't suggest this improvement to then start a debate about a per user level. It's for the majority of the 25k active users of ASN.

If you don't like this idea then that's fine but don't shoot it down before it's even taken off, had more input from others or even input from other mods / sponsors / admin.

If you feel you have a better way of increasing social activity on the forum then please do start your own thread suggesting an improvement.

Morning guys, I will run this suggestion past Adam, see what he thinks. :) x

Looks like a good idea to me Tim, I currently have my YouTube channel link in my signature but it would be better as you've shown.

It's an interesting one though because as an enthusiast this is a hobby rather than my job so my YouTube is all car based but I wouldn't subject you all to my learning and development based Tweets!

Hey look, I am not here to argue with anyone. You asked for comments and I gave you mine. Wish I had not bothered now.

Lighten up and do not shoot the messager.